View Poll Results: Which do you prefer: Ruger LCP or Smith J-frame?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ruger LCP

3 12.00%
  • Smith & Wesson J-Frame

22 88.00%
  • I don't have a preference

0 0%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP vs. Smith J-Frame: Pros & Cons?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    J frame model 60
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    Ruger LCR is superior to the S&w but you asked about S&W so...

Both. .38 on belt, LCP in pocket.

But if it must be one...

I would not carry the LCPII with its light trigger in a pocket, so I'd carry the revolver.

I wouldn't trust the LCP until it got to 200 rnds without stoppage. I'd carry the .38 after 50. I'd be impressed if the LCP could make that 200 rd test.
    Last edited by Ron3; 07-11-18 at 15:03.

Feedback Score
    I have both and do agree the LCP isn't built to take thousands of rounds, still, it's so dang carry-able. I have the version with red trigger, not the latest one LCPII

I like the simplicity, inherent reliability and panic proof nature of my 442, which has the Crimson Trace grip

I know, kinda' like tits on a bull, but it is very effective training wise ... keeping the red dot in a small area during a double action trigger pull will make you a better shooter no matter what you shoot

Plus, to me, it's a visual deterrent if I can give the bad guy a chance to see it
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a 640 & 642. I also had an LCP which was replaced by a SW Bodyguard .380 (no laser) which is basically the same size as LCP. For the purposes of this conversation I'll just refer to both as LCP.

The LCP sees far more use/carry than the other two J-frames. More rounds, faster reloads and I find the recoil/follow up shots to be more manageable and faster. To be honest the 642 rarely leaves the safe and the 640 only makes appearances for hiking/backpacking as we do have some black bear and I have some hardcast short barrel rounds.

For me the LCP typically rides front pocket or strong side IWB. I do not find the J-frame to be comfortable for pocket carry.

Feedback Score
    Another thing to consider is how to wear it.

If it's to be in holster on a belt the revolver because it's larger and faster to grip than a small auto would be. If it's going to be in a pocket the LCP will carry better.

I haven't been carrying my LCR much. When I do I'll use the belt holster. A 10 ounce auto (loaded wt) carries better in a pocket than the 15-19 oz (loaded wt) alloy J-frame / Ruger LCR.

As I mentioned before it would not be hard to carry a 5-shot revolver and a pocket auto at the same time.

Feedback Score
    J-frame stays in the safe... LCP works for a living. Pocket carry.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 09-15-18 at 14:21.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I pocket carry my LCP in a pocket holster. It works great. It’s actually flatter than my wallet. It is the gun I carry, when I don’t want to carry a gun.
    I really tried to warm up to the revolver, but I can’t get past the thickness. I agree the 38 is a better load, but an extra mag in the pocket makes me feel a bit better.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    I really tried to warm up to the revolver, but I can’t get past the thickness. I agree the 38 is a better load, but an extra mag in the pocket makes me feel a bit better.
    Exactly the same experience

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They both are good guns, but slightly different uses...

The 642, in my case 642-1, is a great backup gun. Lighter than similar sized steel frame revolvers (640), and lighter than the LCR (Magnum frame; my contender was the 9mm version... but read on).

I am not a fan of .357 Magnum, so I opted for the Airweight (.38 +P). Even with that, I feel the .38 is a very uneconomical round. Long, and less performance. I converted mine to 9mm. Performance wise, I can send a heavier bullet (standard pressure 147 grain) at a similar velocity to a lighter bullet (+P 110 grain). And with ejection, you get more clearance with the shorter case... even if I did moon clips on both.

I get the argument of cylinder thickness. I personally cannot fit anything larger than my LCP in my pocket and draw it. Larger guns that that, I have to move to the cargo pocket. I use the 642-1 more for a IWB/AIWB, and then on the ankle.

The LCP is a gun where size is paramount. For me, I use the Magguts followers, which give an extra round in the six rounders. I carry it in a Recluse holster, in my back pocket... gun plus extra magazine. I have a total of 15 rounds of .380 in one pocket, which isn’t too shabby.

Both have their time/place...

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    How did you do the conversion to 9mm?
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    They both are good guns, but slightly different uses...

The 642, in my case 642-1, is a great backup gun. Lighter than similar sized steel frame revolvers (640), and lighter than the LCR (Magnum frame; my contender was the 9mm version... but read on).

I am not a fan of .357 Magnum, so I opted for the Airweight (.38 +P). Even with that, I feel the .38 is a very uneconomical round. Long, and less performance. I converted mine to 9mm. Performance wise, I can send a heavier bullet (standard pressure 147 grain) at a similar velocity to a lighter bullet (+P 110 grain). And with ejection, you get more clearance with the shorter case... even if I did moon clips on both.

I get the argument of cylinder thickness. I personally cannot fit anything larger than my LCP in my pocket and draw it. Larger guns that that, I have to move to the cargo pocket. I use the 642-1 more for a IWB/AIWB, and then on the ankle.

The LCP is a gun where size is paramount. For me, I use the Magguts followers, which give an extra round in the six rounders. I carry it in a Recluse holster, in my back pocket... gun plus extra magazine. I have a total of 15 rounds of .380 in one pocket, which isn’t too shabby.

Both have their time/place...
    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast