View Poll Results: Which do you prefer: Ruger LCP or Smith J-frame?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ruger LCP

3 12.00%
  • Smith & Wesson J-Frame

22 88.00%
  • I don't have a preference

0 0%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP vs. Smith J-Frame: Pros & Cons?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by steyrman13 View Post
    How did you do the conversion to 9mm?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I got a converted cylinder off AR15.com’s EE...

But Pinnacle did the work.

http://pinnaclehighperformance.com/cylinder-work/

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Interesting. I'll check it out! Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I got a converted cylinder off AR15.com’s EE...

But Pinnacle did the work.

http://pinnaclehighperformance.com/cylinder-work/
    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    My question is the same as steyrman's...how did you do that?
    Factory 9mm J-frames are made out of unobtanium, and the 940 has a steel frame...not such a bad thing, because the recoil is surprisingly sharp in the steel gun. It would be a handful in alloy.
    To the original question, the LCP and the J-frame serve two different purposes, and are incremental in the 'size that I can hide'. My sequence is LCP-G42-J frame. The J requires a holster, tho' it can be pocketed in baggy pants. A 340SC is the best choice for a pocket.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I’d bet my life on 5 .38 Spl rounds before 7 .380 rounds any day of the week.

Feedback Score
    I have the LCP, LCP Custom and the LCP II, a Performance Center 637 J Frame with bobbed hammer, two Detective Specials (six shooters) and a Ruger LCR in 327 Federal (six shooter)

1. Although the LCP holds potentially slightly more rounds, and can be reloaded more quickly, the 642 should last longer and be able to handle hotter ammo.

I used to carry my LCP Custom all the time (It is a Custom as Ruger gave it a Stainless Steel Guide Rod, a wider smoother red trigger, and very good sights.) I carried a spare magazine too.
    The only serious revolver carry is the Ruger, I carry two speed loaders for it, but I only carry it in winter with bulkier clothing. I want more shots,

I am not worried about the gun's longevity just mine. I'll just buy another.

2. The sights on both suck, so this is of no consequence.

Both LCP Custom and LCR have good sights.

3. The LCP is small enough to fit in a pocket, but there are plenty of concealment holsters for both, so this shouldn't be a concern.

Agree

4. The Smith has a metal frame, the LCP has a polymer frame. The LCP has a noticeable and slightly uncomfortable recoil

True the LCP is more vicious, but you are trying to stop a threat, and neither are all that much fun to shoot.

5. The LCP is flatter, making it less likely to print.

The win to the LCP My current pocket carry is a XDS 40. Six plus one, good sights, Spare seven round magazine.

Feedback Score
    I will suggest anyone “converting” an aluminum J frame to 9mm really needs to understand why the factory does not do that. Smith would have done it long ago. If it was a good idea.

It is not. If you have to ask why, well.....let’s just say don’t modify guns without understanding why they are not offered from the factory in the configuration you just modified it to.

Ruger’s 9mm LCR has a steel frame. Think about it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrem View Post
    I will suggest anyone “converting” an aluminum J frame to 9mm really needs to understand why the factory does not do that. Smith would have done it long ago. If it was a good idea.

It is not. If you have to ask why, well.....let’s just say don’t modify guns without understanding why they are not offered from the factory in the configuration you just modified it to.

A lot of times something isn't offered because there's not enough demand. Even their steel 9mm revolvers were sporadic and never made in any real quantity

But S&W makes alloy frame 357?
    Last edited by Arik; 01-04-19 at 07:49.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Tell that to all those who converted 642s over to 9mm, without issue... myself included.

Before I converted mine, I actually sought out people that did the conversion in the years prior... with larger round counts than most people put through their J-frames. Never once did I hear of a failure or even anything along the lines of excessive wear. Haven’t seen it in the three and a half years I’ve ran my 642-1 with a 9mm cylinder. Any research on the subject you care to offer?

But to give you the full story, S&W did make a 942. Wiley Clapp was given the revolver, and he said nobody would buy it (recoil was the main argument, which is a joke considering the Airlite .357s; recoil with my revolver isn’t bad, either). Project was scrapped for that reason. Considering the movement to 9mm pocket guns (Shield), S&W likely didn’t see they would make a ton of money putting another 9mm J-frame out (the 940 was a big flop, as well).

In regards to the LCR... you do realize it isn’t similar to S&W revolvers, right? It isn’t a one piece frame, but either an aluminum (.38) or stainless (.357/9mm) upper, attached to a polymer lower. Just because the 9mm is built on the .357 upper only says that the .38 upper cannot handle that. How much strength is gained by the grip being part of the receiver? What is the difference in grades of aluminum being used between Ruger and S&W?

Unless you have some extra information on that, I’ll take real world experience over just suggesting it isn’t smart. Sorry, but if I listened to what others felt is the “right” route, I likely wouldn’t have some of my favorite firearms. The 642-1, if not for being converted, likely would have been swapped for something else. But the weight makes it one of my favorite carry guns.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I have extra information. Call Smith and Wesson and ask them why they don’t offer an aluminum J frame in 9mm.

Since that is the most knowledgeable source as to the capabilities of aluminum J frames, that would seem prudent, no?

Report back when they tell you what they told me.

In the meantime, ponder 20000 psi versus 35 K psi. You will find the designers of the gun unhappy with the idea of regularly running it at 75 percent more pressure than its normal upper limit.

No 35,000 psi class cartridge is offered from the factory in a small aluminum frame revolver. It is reasonable to wonder why.
    Last edited by johnnyrem; 01-04-19 at 12:44.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes, I have extra information. Call Smith and Wesson and ask them why they don’t offer an aluminum J frame in 9mm.

Since that is the most knowledgeable source as to the capabilities of aluminum J frames, that would seem prudent, no?

Report back when they tell you what they told me.

In the meantime, ponder 20000 psi versus 35 K psi. You will find the designers of the gun unhappy with the idea of regularly running it at 75 percent more pressure than its normal upper limit.

No 35,000 psi class cartridge is offered from the factory in a small aluminum frame revolver. It is reasonable to wonder why.
    You're the one making the claim and refuse to provide proof, instead giving cryptic info like it's top secret.

So you're saying an 11oz airlite 340PD is perfectly ok in 357 magnum but a 9mm is too much?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast