Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting a purpose driven build

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Starting a purpose driven build

I very recently started putting some parts together to build by Mother an AR. She lives alone (most of the time) in fairly rural Montana. Over the last few years new and old predators in the area have expanded their territory and become much more bold, part of which is the booming Wolf population. As well as the fact a B&B just opened up on her road that will be bringing many more people into her area that normally wouldn't be there.

The idea to do this came about last winter. She had a Wolf pack pull down a decent sized buck in one of her horse pastures. She arrived home and unknowingly spooked them off, only to find the deer attempting to get up with a destroyed hind-end. She had one of the neighbors come out and help her shoot the deer. This really got me thinking about how much an AR platform rifle would be incredibly useful around the house.

She currently has a 17HMR bolt gun that her boyfriend uses to shoot ground squirrels in the pastures as her "bump in the night", animal in the yard gun, as well as a snubby .38 she CC's. There is no way to mount a light on the 17, and I feel like at the minimum having a 5.56 or larger caliber AR would be a much better go to. I am just not sure exactly how I should go about it. All of my builds, and my rifles are defensive purpose intended, not designed to go after 4-legged threats unless I absolutely have to.

I need some guidance and some wisdom from those of you that have AR varmint and pest carbines. I will be using one of the lowers I bought in the Stick-Centurion group buy (Thanks again). I already have a mil-spec LPK for it, as well as an ALG ACT trigger to drop in I got on a good sale. I chose a BCM pistol grip because the angle and LOP should be easier on her wrists that she has tweaked several time over the years. Having the lower mostly covered, the upper is where I am having the most difficult time deciding what I should do.

I want something simple, light and reliable. My initial thoughts have been a 16" upper, loaded with some 77gr, or similar V-Max or whatever is the most solid varmint/hunting .223/5.56 round out right now. Quality LPV, and a quality white light. The longest shot she would have to take is about 200 yards, and I think that still might be pushing it. Her cat got attacked by something in the yard the other night, so we are talking as close as 10 yards and in as well, it will just depend on the situation. I would also like to have this be able to work in non animal HD roll as well. I realize even though she has decent experience with most styles of firearms, I will be teaching her from the ground up on the AR.

What things am I currently missing that I should be thinking about?

Is 5.56/.223 the best caliber for the situation?

Would 300BLK be a better move here?

Ammunition recommendations, weights etc?

Here was my thoughts leading up to this post;

Quality 14.5 or 16" upper- Most likely BCM, but would look at others with an M-Lok or KMR rail to keep the weight down
    Heavier buffer and spring
    Quality LPV like Steiner or Trijicon, or a good RDS (I am going to have her shoot both)
    High lumen white light, 600 Lumen minimum but it will probably be the 1K lumen Streamlight because I really like mine
    Back up sights
    Sling

I am willing to pay for good quality stuff like I do on my own rifles. I want this to be something that after she's comfortable with it, will give me better peace of mind that she has it next to the bed, or at the back door.

I just need some help and education so I can do this right the first time out.
    Last edited by WickedWillis; 06-30-18 at 02:25.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    A Sionics 16” probably would do. The light weight barrel reasonably accurate. I was going to mention the Steiner for an optic. They offer a MLok rail to go with it as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mill Operator
    Knight's Armament Company

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a few questions to better provider input,

How old is you mother?

You stated that her BF uses the rifle mostly, are you comfortable with him possibly taking pseudo ownership of the thing that you are willing to invest a decent amount of money in?

You already stated that she has had some issues with her wrist, will she have the ability to successfully rack a traditional charging handle? And not half rack it, that may lead her thinking her gun is hot, when she’s rolling with an empty chamber.

And as for a sub 200 yard gun, with a magnified optic, will she be able to deal with the eye relief, without getting kissed by the optic when she takes a shot under pressure?

I think a topic like this comes down to her ability as a shooter, her strength and dexterity. Something I think you’ll have to decide, as we have limited knowledge of her abilities.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    JulyAZ really asked some great questions WW and that’s why this is still the cream on top of the milk bucket of AR forums.
    I won’t dabble in the points and questions he brought up, I’ll speak from a specific point of view - the weapon itself and my own experiences with it.

So my step-mom packs a .38 Special too. She’s 76 I think but she’s more of a Prepper than I am. Her husband (my dad passed and she remarried several yrs later) is a great guy and his son built him an AR, 16” and it’s great but she can’t really handle it. It’s got an FSP and a RAS rail, flattop with a micro red dot. Not only is it weighty, but being carbine gas it has more recoil impulse than more modern set ups.

Enter my 14.5

So I built a pin & welded 14.5. I opted for the Hanson profiled barrel from Ballistic Advantage. I’ve done some comparisons between my BCM 16” and my BA Hanson 16” and I achieve better accuracy and even slightly less recoil impulse.
    I used a Vltor A5 system, and Lantac Dragon that does a pretty good job of mitigating barrel climb on shooting. The slightly shorter length gives it a better sense of maneuverability and reduces the front end weight, which is what wears people down who may have less upper arm strength than others. At your 200 yd range the 14.5 is deadly accurate. But the most important aspect regarding this 14.5 and my own step mom is that 14.5 is the softest shooting, fastest return to target weapon I have ever built, and while I haven’t built as many as some, I’ve built over 20. All of them leveraging improvement such as the A5 system, better comps. BCM barrels, DD barrels and even the almost unicorn tear status Centurion Arms barrel. My rifle gassed barrels do not shoot as smooth as that 14.5.
    So if I had to built mama an AR, and I wanted her to enjoy shooting as much as trusting it to do what it was designed to do - I’d build another 14.5 and I’d know tons of guys like BCM barrels, but I have not had a barrel that gave me better accuracy or reliability than my BA Hanson’s, or their 416R SS barrels are stupid accurate, and they don’t break the bank. Especially with their Mil/LEO discount. I’ve not compared BCM’s 14.5 so I won’t say one way or the other, but on my 16eraI know what barrel was a little softer and more accurate. When someone wants their child to shoot an AR and they’re skittish about kick, I introduce them to the platform on my 14.5. They’ve all been amazed at how easy it was to shoot. (Then I move them up to other builds.)

I’m sure you’re going to put an excellent rifle together for your mom,I just wanted to bring up a barrel that I have personal experience with, (I’ve built 2) and the success I’ve had with it, and how it seem to really check the boxes for a good “Mom gun”
    I have a 416R SS 223 Wylde in 14.5 that I’m debating building or sellingN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I agree that the AR is a great utility rifle for most any application, just make sure it fits your mother’s needs the best.
    A stainless/synthetic bolt gun in .223 or maybe .243 with a good LPV could also be worth looking at, and could streamline the manual of arms for her.( I understand she may not need help in that area.) Good luck on the build either way.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nevermind- didnt read all the criteria.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 06-30-18 at 07:03.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    I put together a Frankengun with all quality parts to be my "grab and go" weapon:

*Knight's stripped lower
    * BCM BFH ELW 16" upper with 13" KMR-A (gas block pinned by Adco)
    *Rampage XS 4 prong flash hider
    *Daniel Defense chromed BCG
    *Geissele SD-C trigger group
    *B5 stock
    *BCM Mod 3 grip and enhanced trigger guard
    *YHM front and rear BUIS
    *Aimpoint T2 in an American Defense true co-witness throw lever mount
    *BCM stubby angled foregrip
    *Entire gun Duracoated, steel parts Colt Gray and aluminum parts black.

The entire setup as listed above has me around the $2500 mark.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 06-30-18 at 08:11.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I appreciate all the responses so far. When I get off work this afternoon I will jump on and answer all of the questions posted
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I would not overthink this very much. The criteria you have listed are similar to what hundreds or even thousands have asked before you.

I would build the lower from your group buy deal using quality parts. You should be somewhat familiar with what those parts are.

As for the upper you should take a look at the SIONICS 16" with our MLOK rail. Add some MBUS polymer sights to it along with your other requirements and you are done. I would stay away from 14.5" due to the pin and weld nonsense.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    I really think a fairly standard setup from a reputable brand you like would be great. 200 yards on wolf sized targets shoot be great for a .223. Soon is seems to be pretty popular and I think would be a good choice with your choice of lpv.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast