Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting a purpose driven build

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post
    I would pick up a TR24 from Trijicon for the optic. The illuminated triangle is excellent and is light weight. You can find them fairly cheap now used. I typically see them for $600 used with a mount on armslist or tacswap. I would look into a 16 and put some sort of hybrid flash hider compensator like the SureFire WarComp.
    My only concern is the TR24 in low light to no light.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Got my wife (67 yrs. old) a sig AR pistol with sig brace. She is not a crack shot nor a novice, but she tears a 4" hole in paper, cosistently at 150 yds. with brace to shoulder. She is scary accurate with brace employed. She has injured wrists as well. She would trade me before she'd trade that sig.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    Sent you a PM.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    The tritium usually works pretty well on its own in low/no light and while the tritium will be washed out by a WML, you'll have a great big, thick post.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    The tritium usually works pretty well on its own in low/no light and while the tritium will be washed out by a WML, you'll have a great big, thick post.
    And use a free reticle. I recently tried a red tritium reticle, and it was not useable in low light on a lighter background. I had to really focus on finding it which meant I wasn’t focused on the target/threat.
    So I’ll probably never use any tritium reticle, green or not. I’d rather buy cases of batteries.

WW you said most of her shots will be around 100 yards give or take? You could always let your mom try one of your red dots at that distance or try a 1-4 low powered scope. Do you have a 1-4 she could check out? Let me know if you don’t. There are some fairly lightweight optics out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    And use a free reticle. I recently tried a red tritium reticle, and it was not useable in low light on a lighter background. I had to really focus on finding it which meant I wasn’t focused on the target/threat.
    So I’ll probably never use any tritium reticle, green or not. I’d rather buy cases of batteries.

WW you said most of her shots will be around 100 yards give or take? You could always let your mom try one of your red dots at that distance or try a 1-4 low powered scope. Do you have a 1-4 she could check out? Let me know if you don’t. There are some fairly lightweight optics out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is exactly what I did thanks to your input. I took her out and had her try my Aimpoint PRO, T1, and my Steiner PX4i. She really liked the Steiner out of all of them, so that is what I ended up buying and putting on her gun.

I took the build out last weekend and got a rough zero at 25 yards (The 50 yard bays were full for a few hours) and got a decent feel for it.

Now I am trying to figure out a great "Do-all" .223-5.56 round that will handle two legged threats as well as Coyotes and Wolves, which will be the main focus. I was leaning towards 75gr Gold dots as a decent do-all round, and I use the 64gr version in all of my defensive AR's, but I am not 100% sure how it would do against the dogs. I have about 50 rounds of some 55gr v-max, and a handful of other "varmint" rounds that I plan on running through it to check groupings. Any suggestions here from you guys? I know it will be difficult to have my cake and eat it too, but I would rather have several magazines loaded up with the best of both worlds. Whatever I buy, I will be getting a few hundred rounds of it.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    This is exactly what I did thanks to your input. I took her out and had her try my Aimpoint PRO, T1, and my Steiner PX4i. She really liked the Steiner out of all of them, so that is what I ended up buying and putting on her gun.

I took the build out last weekend and got a rough zero at 25 yards (The 50 yard bays were full for a few hours) and got a decent feel for it.

Now I am trying to figure out a great "Do-all" .223-5.56 round that will handle two legged threats as well as Coyotes and Wolves, which will be the main focus. I was leaning towards 75gr Gold dots as a decent do-all round, and I use the 64gr version in all of my defensive AR's, but I am not 100% sure how it would do against the dogs. I have about 50 rounds of some 55gr v-max, and a handful of other "varmint" rounds that I plan on running through it to check groupings. Any suggestions here from you guys? I know it will be difficult to have my cake and eat it too, but I would rather have several magazines loaded up with the best of both worlds. Whatever I buy, I will be getting a few hundred rounds of it.
    That's great to hear, and you got her a really solid optic. That Steiner is just a good solid 1-4. What barrel/twist did you end up going with? I looked back but didn't see if you said or not... But the twist will impact how the heavier bullets group. I know guys who have dropped yotes with 77 SMK as well as 69's, and also the lower grain varmint loads 50 vmax, 55 etc. I think there are a few people in our group of shooters who have used 77gr on the 2 legged variety - but again barrel twist will play to success of that heavier round.

Ultimately, like in the caliber wars, I personally subscribe to the "shot placement over caliber" belief and I think it translates to bullet weight as well (within reason of twist and weight). So more importantly than the load you choose, once you choose a load that excels with your barrel twist, will be mom's shot placement.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The 64 gr. GD will trash a coyote-from experience.
    They have also been very accurate from my guns.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Now I am trying to figure out a great "Do-all" .223-5.56 round that will handle two legged threats as well as Coyotes and Wolves, which will be the main focus.
    The Gold Dots wouldn't be a bad choice, but you may also consider the 77gr TMK if you don't need something barrier blind. From everything I've seen the TMK seems to dump energy quite well and does so early. Biggest down side would be cost I think.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    That's great to hear, and you got her a really solid optic. That Steiner is just a good solid 1-4. What barrel/twist did you end up going with? I looked back but didn't see if you said or not... But the twist will impact how the heavier bullets group. I know guys who have dropped yotes with 77 SMK as well as 69's, and also the lower grain varmint loads 50 vmax, 55 etc. I think there are a few people in our group of shooters who have used 77gr on the 2 legged variety - but again barrel twist will play to success of that heavier round.

Ultimately, like in the caliber wars, I personally subscribe to the "shot placement over caliber" belief and I think it translates to bullet weight as well (within reason of twist and weight). So more importantly than the load you choose, once you choose a load that excels with your barrel twist, will be mom's shot placement.
    It's a 1/8 twist. Thanks to Steve-O-, I went with a complete Sionics Patrol 3 upper with a 15" Keymod rail. I will post pictures of the build when I get home. It turned out very nice IMO. I am just not an ammo expert, and wanted some feedback from you fine people.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    The 64 gr. GD will trash a coyote-from experience.
    They have also been very accurate from my guns.
    That would make things easier because I already have a few hundred rounds, I was just weary if it would work on 4 legged animals.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast