Thread: Magazine subscriptions

Feedback Score

Magazine subscriptions

What magazines subscriptions do you get? And why?

I'm about to transition to a swing shift job again. I worked shift work for about 10 years (22-32) almost 10 years ago and there's a lot of downtime on midnight shift and it's always good to have something to do when it is slow. I was able to complete my master's degree on shift work so there's pros as well as cons to that type of work. I'm only going to suffer through about a year or two this time while another manager swaps with me for a while. I cancelled all my subscriptions once I rotated off shift work since I did not have time to read them anymore. I use to read Money, Fortune, Kiplinger and American Riflemen every month cover to cover as well as at least 1 book a month. American Riflemen is the only one I currently still get and I might read one article a month if that...and that's only because of my NRA membership.

Now I'm just trying to find some options for the next year or two. The "money" type mags always seemed outdated and the stories weren't really relevant but they kept my eye on the prize as far as keeping track of my 401k. Thinking about making sure I have some investment rag in the mix just not sure what is the better of the bunch these days. Just trying to get some options for others to pick up too.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    My thoughts on options from just walking through the local book store and online searching are below. Any feedback on any of them from actual subscribers?

Survivalist type mag options:
    1 - Off grid
    2 - American survival guide
    3 - Survivor's edge

Not really a prepper but I have enjoyed flipping through some of them and the home defense stuff at the grocery store as the wife shops. Neat gear sometimes...

Defense options:
    1 - Self defense magazine
    2 - Home defender
    3 - Concealed carry

Martial art options:
    1 - Black belt magazine
    2 - Taekwondo times

My daughter and I do taekwondo together, she's been doing it 7 years and me just over 3. Not sure about this one at all, she's more into it than I but I've enjoyed the self defense aspect of it. And stress release from sparring...lol

Health magazine options:
    1 - Men't health
    2 - Muscle and fitness

I worry about the negative side effects of working swing shift again but some of these mags are over the top on food and exercise. I work out but I'm not ripped by any stretch and don't think I'll ever go to the extremes to have a cover worthy bod...lol I can bench more than my weight several times so that's pretty good in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    Kiplinger’s has always been better than Money.

I subscribe to four-five trade publications as well as Shotgun News. I stopped all the other gun magazines as Shotgun News has plenty of Scarletta history stories and enough modern coverage.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Why not read books about the subjects that intrigue you? Or read novels to pass the time?

I've always read, but I picked up my first Western paperback - Louis L'Amour - as a 19 year-old Marine to pass the time on 4 hours standby on weekend 24 hour guard rotations.

I called it sport reading to differ it from reading, and mentally conversing with myself in order to gain knowledge.

Libraries are free.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Why not read books about the subjects that intrigue you? Or read novels to pass the time?

I've always read, but I picked up my first Western paperback - Louis L'Amour - as a 19 year-old Marine to pass the time on 4 hours standby on weekend 24 hour guard rotations.

I called it sport reading to differ it from reading, and mentally conversing with myself in order to gain knowledge.

Libraries are free.
    Standing in line or waiting for your guard shift became a way of Life didn't it?
    I saved every one of those books and gave them to my Son.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post

Libraries are free.
    Books will be in the mix too. I went through a western spurt and read a ton of Louis L'Amour books when I was paired up with an older gentlemen back in the day. He loved them and would pass them over to me when he finished. I've actually wanted to do a cattle drive as a vacation because to those. Louis L'Amour also researched the heck out of the area he wrote about too which made his books even more enjoyable.

I do already have 5 or 6 books waiting already. I just like to break up the books with some magazines because with books tend to forget to look up and make sure all is well, I get engrossed...lol

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Interior Design:
    Architectural Digest
    Vogue Living (interior design)
    Elle Decoration (interior design)

I am somewhat passionate about architecture and interior design. I collect interior design books, magazines from 1978-1985 which is my favorite time period for interior design and architecture.

Gun/lifestyle/interest:
    Recoil Magazine
    Cigar Snob (cigar magazine)
    Forza (Ferrari magazine)

I think Recoil is the best gun magazine hands down, Cigar Snob IMO is better than Aficionado and incorporates more lifestyle that is not directly affiliated with cigars, I like Forza because they don't just feature new Ferraris but feature classic Ferraris and some that may not get attention. The writers are knowledgeable and write about cars from an enthusiastic way and not a critical way.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The only magazine I currently get is American Rifleman, because the NRA is still trying to get me to re-up the membership I let lapse after their idiotic bumpstock statement. (I still haven't decided if I'm going to renew my membership or not)
    I usually flip through each issue once, then after that use them on the job as camouflage to disguise my smartphone, which is what I *actually* do for entertainment all day at work. Even though you are equally as distracted by reading as you are by your phone, reading just "looks" better to passersby, so I hide my phone in the magazine.

Back in like 2004/2005, I used to subscribe to Small Arms Review but that magazine has really gone downhill in recent years.

While the only gun magazines I buy are generally the ones you can stuff ammo in, I'd be inclined to agree that Recoil is one of the better printed frearm-themed magazines around based on my perusing it at the newsstand.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    Standing in line or waiting for your guard shift became a way of Life didn't it?
    Yes.

I was at a Marine Barracks and was only assigned to the guard force for about 4 months before I picked up Cpl and escaped to training.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 07-01-18 at 23:08.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee