Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: one sbr to rule them all?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Suppressing shorties is totally worth it!
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Interested in this conversation as well.

Plan to Form 1 a lower soon. Seekins SBA15 or Aero M4E1 and do my 1st SBR build. 1st full build, closest otherwise has been a Larue UU kit. Plan to go with a 11.5” build to be used suppressed and unsuppressed.

Complete 11.5” uppers seem expensive relative to current prices on components. Considered KAC but the fact that I can get a full SR-15 for several hundred bucks less than an 11.5” upper doesn’t make any sense.

Barrel and handguard are my two biggest unknowns. Any input here? Would like a thin, reasonably priced but quality handguard that takes advantage of the space around the 11.5” barrel. Had a URX 4 on an SR-15 that I liked quite a bit but not sure it’s worth the premium. Mlok, mlok, mlok.

Planning on going with a Toolcraft NiB BCG, and likely an SLR Adjustable gas block. Have time since the Form 1 isn’t even in the oven yet and prefer to shop sales.

OP - figured this conversation is related to your post but let me know if you’d like me to start a new thread.
    Last edited by Sierra; 07-08-18 at 20:24.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    If going with a 556 sbr i would suggest 12.5in over 11.5 due to the velocity and dwell pick up you get. Hard to beat a properly ported 12.5 carbine sbr.

With that said however, I am currently working on surpassing the perfection of a 12.5in carbine sbr with a proof of concept of my perfect sbr. It started life as a criterion midlength barrel blank, cut down to 12.5. It was machined to accept a front sight block (love a fsb) and had its gas port opened ever so slightly for 100% suppressed usage. It will get a centurion arms mid length fsp cutout c4 rail and be run on my sionics sbr lower with a5 buffer system. I believe mid length gas systems handle supressors better and beat up on the system less and by having it be a dedicated suppressed upper the gas port was opened up incrementally to give me perfect ejection at 3 o'clock and 100% last round lock back with my surefire mini.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I love my 11.5 SR-15's!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Suppressing shorties is totally worth it!
    Agreed!

Feedback Score
    I don't have one but I have heard good things about the CZ 805. You can get one in a pistol configuration and wait for your stamp. Just something to consider since you mentioned the SCAR.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Doc Williams
    U.S. Army Combat Medic/Flight Medic Retired
    1987 - 2013
    Flight Medic Class 4-95

http://www.dustoff.org/

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    KAC''s SR30 DSR will be my end all, do all.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    What're the advantages of an SBR over a bullpup? Trying to understand why people bother with SBRs when there are so many disadvantages.
    I can tell you why I SBR. Because I already have 4 bullpups. I like variety so that is why I have SBR's in the form of 10.5" AR, 7.5" AK, 10.5" XCR, 5" Kriss Vector, 5" MP5K, 10.5" 458 SOCOM, 12" VZ58

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
    I can tell you why I SBR. Because I already have 4 bullpups. I like variety so that is why I have SBR's in the form of 10.5" AR, 7.5" AK, 10.5" XCR, 5" Kriss Vector, 5" MP5K, 10.5" 458 SOCOM, 12" VZ58
    From the standpoint of "want" and not from "need", I can definitely understand it. But I like to think of myself as a practical guy, so I basically buy and configure my weapons based on perceived need and roles. I see "short" rifles as being preferable for working in tighter quarters, and as such I still see something like a Tavor as having several practical advantages over an SBR.

Muzzle velocity, less blast and flash, the ability to easily cross state lines without hassle, not needing to register with the ATF, etc. The only advantages I can see to an SBR are weight and cost, which though significant, are to me outweighed by the disadvantages. Strictly practical considerations only, of course. The coolness factor of SBRs is a separate issue.

Feedback Score
    SBR a Bullpup and now you are talking. A 20 inch Bullpup vs an M4 clone at 28 to 30 inches.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast