Thread: Remington 700 SS 5R-MILSPEC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Remington 700 SS 5R-MILSPEC

Guys, owning several handguns, shotguns, and a couple of AR's, I am looking to round out my collection with a precision bolt gun. I was about to purchase a Remington 700P when I learned I could get a Remington 700 SS 5R-MIL SPEC. I hadn't heard of this gun before, but it sounds really appealing. I had been considering a Tactical Rifles M40, but I've overspent my toy budget lately. I'm only really looking at .308, for a number of reasons. If any of you have knowledge and opinions about the 5R Mil Spec, I'd be interested in hearing them.
    Jim

Feedback Score
    I bought mine used with a few hundred rounds through it and I'm very happy with it. The trigger is tuned to 2.5lbs and it's like butter. Shoots sub-MOA with 168gr. FGMM, which is all I've put through it so far. I'm not sure it's any more accurate than an LTR or 700P. But it's a lot less common so if you like something a little different it might be for you.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Are these available through a Remington LE dealer?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You can get them at a number of retail places. I saw one recently available here, though I don't know if they still have them in stock:

Rem 700 SS 5R Milspec at Sniper Country PX
    Last edited by maximus83; 10-27-08 at 02:16.

Feedback Score
    There's usually one or two available in the for sale forums on Snipers Hide.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My Remingtons are older - what is the "X-Mark" trigger? Has Remington redesigned their trigger?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    You can get them at a number of retail places. I saw one recently available here, though I don't know if they still have them in stock:

Rem 700 SS 5R Milspec at Sniper Country PX
    Just talked to Scott, great guy, nice to deal with as stated and he just sold out, but is getting a shipment in tomorrow so I jumped. He said they would sell pretty fast and I have no reason to doubt the way things are going. I feel like I have a good start and look forward to kiting this thing out and having a nice relationship with precision shooting!
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    I know I could post this over on Snipers Hide, but I was looking for more of a perspective of a Semi-auto shooter. I live in Colorado now and in the spring I was looking to start shooting some of the tactical bolt action matches around here.

In .308 you can get a SPS Varmit for $550
    a 700P for $880
    a 5R for $980

For a $100 I'd go with the 5R in a heartbeat. The $400+ for the SPS to 5R is a bit more daunting. What is the thought process in choosing between buying a SPS and shooting the crap out of it, and rebarreling and tuning/truing it after a barrel is shot out, versus buying the 5R? I guess to really shoot the SPS you would need a new stock and a trigger job, while the 5R is GTG?

CCFP, did you consider any of the lower models?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.