Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoke pot lose your 2A Rigths

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Smoke pot lose your 2A Rigths

But, you can still go grab a bottle of scotch no doubt. Good old IL...

Proposed medical marijuana rules: Your pot or your gun

Patients who want to qualify for medical marijuana in Illinois would have to be fingerprinted for a background check and pay $150 a year — and give up their right to own a gun, state officials proposed Tuesday.

The plan outlines how adults who have any of 41 specified medical conditions, such as cancer, AIDS or complex regional pain syndrome, may apply to get a patient registry identification card to purchase medical pot.

The proposed rules are the first in a series of parameters expected to be outlined over the course of the year to govern how medical marijuana can be legally grown, sold and purchased. The Illinois Department of Public Health will take public comment on this set of rules until Feb. 7 and then submit them to a legislative panel for approval by the end of April.

Cont:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,1530419.story
    Last edited by WillBrink; 01-22-14 at 08:51.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't do drugs, so im good

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Total bullshit.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by montanadave View Post
    Total bullshit.
    Yup. I don't use the stuff, don't recommend the stuff, but what makes a person using it - for medically approved use no less - some how inherently at risk of violence? Pot is not known for producing violent behavior. Now booze - which you can buy by the gallon container - is another matter...This is simply another example of a state attempting to find ways to chip away at people's 2A Rights and it's BS.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Yup. I don't use the stuff, don't recommend the stuff, but what makes a person using it - for medically approved use no less - some how inherently at risk of violence? Pot is not known for producing violent behavior. Now booze - which you can buy by the gallon container - is another matter...This is simply another example of a state attempting to find ways to chip away at people's 2A Rights and it's BS.

While I don't agree with drugs, I do agree with you, but I feel like is this is some move to call gun owners pot heads now.... Think about it..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Your response, Will, pretty much mirrors my initial reaction. Whether a person subscribes to the legitimacy of "medical marijuana" is immaterial. If the law is on the books and a person follows those regulations, there is no valid reason to infringe on that person's 2A rights. There is no evidence they are "abusing" a legally prescribed substance or pose a public threat.

By the same rationale, why not prohibit anyone who has a prescription for opioid pain-killers from owning a firearm? Or anxiolytics? How about medications for depression?

And while we're at it, let's prohibit anyone convicted of DUI or any crime where alcohol was a factor from owning a firearm. As opposed to the prescribed drug examples above, at least these cases involve a person who has demonstrably "abused" a mind-altering substance and posed a threat to public safety.

I do not see how such a law will survive judicial review.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Will that was well said, if it passes it will be used as a gauge by more liberal states in the future. "You have to choose sir, your chronic pain of your god given rights". Every person I know, that I consider a chronic user is anything but violent.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    [QUOTE=WillBrink;1839998.This is simply another example of a state attempting to find ways to chip away at people's 2A Rights .[/QUOTE]

Yep... it doesn't matter if all of them don't even own guns... it get's something on the books. then the next politician in another State can say look... we've had this on books elsewhere all I'm suggesting is a very slight change. That is a favorite tactic of Tim Kaine. "Look, out of 50 states were are number 10 from the bottom on this tax... we can raise this tax a lot higher and still be well within national guidelines." Same thing. Take it from the people that don't care first. Get it on the books, then use it against the people that do care. Most Conservatives are push-overs for this tactic although they are slowly changing over the past several years.

I'll be honest with you... I don't even understand the whole mentality of the legalize it crowd. It seems like every one of them say hell yeah legalize it and tax the piss out of me for it. then I think wait a minute.... you just spent 50 years telling us it's a plant that grows in everyone's backyard. It's natural and not harmful.... then the best you can come up with is "let me have it for my own use but bend me over and ream me with taxes". It's the same with alcohol,,,, it's a State run racket.

You know this whole National wave of "legalize it" is not going to happen without the government making a huge capture on society. It won't just be taxes... the people wanting it legalized are begging to be taxed, that's a given. The government needs to line up all the possible control mechanisms before they 'follow the will and desire of the people'.

Ironically,,, if you took a large group of people and without knowing who they were, allowed them to speak freely, you would probably come to the conclusion that the people that sounded the craziest and possibly on drugs were in fact the politicians. .... man, .. it's like the water circling the drain..... You used to be able to look at other countries and think ok, we're not that screwed up....... not any more.

Feedback Score
    The problem is that an attempt at trading one thing for another is being introduced as if it were ever up for debate. Where did anyone offer to trade anything? Who believes that anything was up for trading to begin with?
    Never sit at the bargaining table with an empty stomach.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by montanadave View Post
    .By the same rationale, why not prohibit anyone who has a prescription for opioid pain-killers from owning a firearm? Or anxiolytics? How about medications for depression?
    I would assume that has to do with the usda drug "schedule" of the opiates in comparison to weed....just a wild guess. Also be careful what you wish for...lol
    Last edited by J-Dub; 01-22-14 at 10:05.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast