Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MK318 Mod 1

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)

MK318 Mod 1

I tried doing a little searching but it seems this stuff is hard to find. Purchased from a local shop who got their hands on a ton of Federal factory seconds. I'm going to send some down range tomorrow to see how it shoots. No chrono unfortunately... I'm a little curious as to what difference the 'Wrong Powder' will make. At $9.99 per box I may pick up more if it shoots without issue. Head stamp is FC 17.

Anyone have any input on this? Potentially good deal? I'll update tomorrow after I put some on paper.

They also have FBI T3 that were kicked for 'Visual Defect' at $8.99 per box. They look fine so I stocked up.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    "Wrong Powder" is a pretty significant "Defect". I'd guess they've deemed it safe to shoot however.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    "Wrong Powder" is a pretty significant "Defect". I'd guess they've deemed it safe to shoot however.
    Yeah, not sure how they managed that one... Should be safe but the performance may be garbage. I’ll see how it groups tomorrow. I’ll probably open one up to check out the powder/charge as well.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I would guess that it might be a LOT issue where the charge is calibrated to where the velocity is a little under spec.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I would guess that it might be a LOT issue where the charge is calibrated to where the velocity is a little under spec.
    That would make sense. I may not even see that at 100, especially since I don’t have a standard load to compare it to. I’m assuming the Mod 1 performs similarly to the Mod 0 though.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    44 grains of Bullseye..... :-)

If it's the wrong powder it is no longer Mk 318. Not to say it's necessarily bad, heck, it could even be better. Should be interesting to group it. With that bullet I would not be surprised if it was really good.

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    44 grains of Bullseye..... :-)

If it's the wrong powder it is no longer Mk 318. Not to say it's necessarily bad, heck, it could even be better. Should be interesting to group it. With that bullet I wold not be surprised if it was really good.
    That would have a little bite to it haha.

Does this new environmentally conscious projectile perform better than the original lead/copper one? I thought I had read somewhere that it had an improved BC...

I may only have access to an SBR with an T2 tomorrow but it should give me a good feel for it. If it’s a good performer I’ll probably try to get my hands on more this weekend.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I had Mk318 and Mk316 mixed up.

I have not found Mk 318 particularly accurate and pretty sure it's largely the bullet. I have found Mk 316 very accurate-- and I think it's mostly the bullet.

Mind you this is not based on shooting lots of it.

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    That got me thinking, I never remembered it grouping all that well before so I just tucked away what I had left for a rainy day. I did some digging in my phone and found targets from last spring when I sighted in an EOTech/G33 on this rifle. Mod 0 was shooting around 2.3 MOA for me. Federal XM193 was right around 2 MOA and IMI 77gr was at 1.7.

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    Well, it seemed to shoot quite well today. I was in the 3.0-5.0 MOA range dead center with an M193 clone load that I worked up for this upper at 100 yards. Same thing with Federal XM193. The Mod 1 averaged around 1.9 MOA, 2" high and 2" right. It seemed just as snappy as the XM193, it definitely didn't feel weak. The upper has an FN 10.5" CHF 'MG' barrel and an Aimpoint T2 on a Bobro lower 1/3.

M193 Clone:

MK318 Mod 1:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast