Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colt XM-177E2 AR15

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would maybe drop 1800 on a Colt marked and endorsed XM-177E2 but $2500 GTFOH

I would like to know more about Brownells making their XM-177 more accurate

Feedback Score
    The price of these retro Colts is more than I can afford, but it’s really great to see them recognize the popularity of their vintage rifles and offer them like this. It seems like better business sense than they’ve show in the past. I was talking about the Colt Python with a friend a couple years ago and discussing how they could have capitalized on the Python’s role in the Walking Dead and brought it back, but Colt didn’t seem to be interested.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    On a side note regarding the XM177E2, what type of carbine buffer is run in it? Standard weight or heavier? The reason for asking is I am looking a building one myself....
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    I’m pretty sure it’s a regular carbine buffer.
    My understanding is that the Heavy buffer came out of the XM4 program, along with the 'M4 feed ramps' as a means of addressing reliability issues with the XM177E2 (and subsequent shorty AR-15s). In fact, I believe the first heavy carbine buffer weights were developed for Colt's 9mm SMG - but these would be much too heavy for a 5.56mm carbine.

So a standard carbine buffer would be clone correct, but you would likely see benefits from using a Heavy or an H2 in it and there's no technical reason (that I'm aware of) not to.
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 10-07-19 at 13:26.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    My understanding is that the Heavy buffer came out of the XM4 program, along with the 'M4 feed ramps' as a means of addressing reliability issues with the XM177E2 (and subsequent shorty AR-15s). In fact, I believe the first heavy carbine buffer weights were developed for Colt's 9mm SMG - but these would be much too heavy for a 5.56mm carbine.

So a standard carbine buffer would be clone correct, but you would likely see benefits from using a Heavy or an H2 in it and there's no technical reason (that I'm aware of) not to.
    Same way I feel about a 1:7 twist barrel on any A1 rifle or carbine XM177 clone.....why not? You can't see either the buffer or the barrel twist
    Last edited by ABNAK; 10-07-19 at 18:14.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Bartocci had a video claiming that with the carbine buffer (all steel weights, no tungsten weights) and non-M4 feed ramps, there were feeding issues. Said that Colt solved the problem in the XM4 with a combination of the M4 feed ramps and the addition of a tungsten weight, and those two things fixed the problem, but either modification alone would have solved the problem. I dunno one way or another if he is correct, just food for thought.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

I would like to know more about Brownells making their XM-177 more accurate

Brownells retros are not more accurate compared to the Colt offerings.

Chris Bartocci and I do not agree on this.

The Colt offering is worth it just for the lower alone. You can't get a more correct lower than the Colt offering.

I took my Colt retros and rebuilt them with correct late 1960s vintage parts.

I had an entire mint condition XM177E2 part set with real moderator awaiting just a project like this.

Also had a mint condition 1968 M16A1 kit that I used to rebuild mine.
    Last edited by scottryan; 10-16-19 at 11:39.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post

The Colt offering is worth it just for the lower alone. You can't get a more correct lower than the Colt offering.

I had an entire mint condition XM177E2 part set with real moderator awaiting just a project like this.

How in the world did you score a mint condition moderator...pretty nice.?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post

Chris Bartocci reminds me of a man still madly in love with is ex-wife (Colt, he worked there 2 years) yet he still hates her guts (Colt for firing him).

I bought one of the US Ordnance built M16A1 retros, I absoloutely love it. No matter what Bartocci says.
    Last edited by the AR-15 Junkie; 10-17-19 at 07:31.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Chris had good ideas at Colt but him and I don't agree on the retro authenticity project.
    Last edited by scottryan; 10-23-19 at 11:34.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    How in the world did you score a mint condition moderator...pretty nice.?
    They are around if you spend some time looking at various ad boards.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast