Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Ambi Selector (lightweight)?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    This guy knows...

Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    very funny guys

LOL

anyway- my primary reason for posting this is to get some good suggestions for other selectors I may not be aware of besides Battle Arms (LW) or Radian
    selectors that have a similar actuation / switch design as the Battle Arms and quality

For some context of my LW build- I am spending the $ to build a LW 300BLK pistol that's going to be sub 5 lbs With Optic (sub 6 with suppressor) I don't want to be wasting $ on standard / heavier parts
    It is a LW build for hunting hogs on foot in brush etc

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Mr Goodtimes, once I’ve cut the weight down using ultralight components, and supporting my fascia with KT Tape, if I need to take it further I’ve been using one of these:

So not to derail the OP’s thread too much but I saw this on Instagram a couple months back and thought it was pretty cool and am very interested to see how it takes off. I’ve also recently found a smoking deal on a like new Pacesaver Fusion 250 mobility scooter and I’m wondering, do you think it would somehow be possible to integrate this device with my pace saver?

Here’s a picture for reference....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    Aim Surplus ambi selector is very lightweight (surprisingly so much lighter than USGI) and only $20: https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMLAMBI

I have one, but haven't installed it yet, so I can't comment on function.

Regular USGI: short right side lever - Colt, or both sides long worked fine for me. Not sure if there would be an appreciable weight difference vs a lightweight one.
    @alx01 - thanks for this suggestion. Please LMK your thoughts when you have it installed. It looks very much like the BAD selectors shape. It could be a viable option

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    For some context of my LW build- I am spending the $ to build a LW 300BLK pistol that's going to be sub 5 lbs With Optic (sub 6 with suppressor) I don't want to be wasting $ on standard / heavier parts
    What kind of weight margin are you dealing with for this part in reference to the rest of your build (or simply whats your top weight budget for this part?)

Unless you're going titanium construction most of these selectors are only fractions of an ounce different in weight. Pretty much all of them are a steel cylinder with aluminum levers. Not trying to dig your build just trying to get a idea of how light you need this part to be to meet your goal.

To echo some other people, the location of this part directly over the firing hand places the weight in an ideal position, to the hand the weight difference will not be perceivable (you'll only see it on the scale).

Additionally this is a component that you can't afford to have fail, and you'll probably get a lot more enjoyment using a marginally heavier but more ergonomic option.

I understand the quest for a superlight build but this is a part where you're gonna spend a whole lot of money for a few grains of weight savings and a potentially less reliable fire control component.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    very funny guys

LOL

anyway- my primary reason for posting this is to get some good suggestions for other selectors I may not be aware of besides Battle Arms (LW) or Radian
    selectors that have a similar actuation / switch design as the Battle Arms and quality

Lol it’s all in fun bro but seriously LW selector is so far outside the bounds of rational discussion I’m surprised the cosmos didn’t explode.

It’s not important

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWambo View Post
    What kind of weight margin are you dealing with for this part in reference to the rest of your build (or simply whats your top weight budget for this part?)

Unless you're going titanium construction most of these selectors are only fractions of an ounce different in weight. Pretty much all of them are a steel cylinder with aluminum levers. Not trying to dig your build just trying to get a idea of how light you need this part to be to meet your goal.

To echo some other people, the location of this part directly over the firing hand places the weight in an ideal position, to the hand the weight difference will not be perceivable (you'll only see it on the scale).

Additionally this is a component that you can't afford to have fail, and you'll probably get a lot more enjoyment using a marginally heavier but more ergonomic option.

I understand the quest for a superlight build but this is a part where you're gonna spend a whole lot of money for a few grains of weight savings and a potentially less reliable fire control component.

@thewambo

Thanks I appreciate the intelligent conversation and info. My intent is not for the lightest possible as there are options out there. I think people latched onto that a bit too hard.

My goal for this selector is:

1) selector similar in quality and weight to the Battle Arms LW selector (which I have in two lowers)
    2) ambi
    3) not mushy like the Seekins ambi I have
    4) reliable and compatible with my SDC triggers ( I have heard reports of some selectors not being compatible?)

It appears that nobody has a better suggestion other than that AIM surplus selector which looks suprisingly similar to the Battle Arms LW ambi at less than half the price
    but since I have heard no reports about how nicely it actuates nor it's reliability I'm hesitant to settle on that

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    1) Install unpolished USGI FCG
    2) Ask the local gunsmith for stiffer springs that earlier customers and install, optimally resulting in a 12lb+ trigger pull
    3) Skip the installation of the safety selector altogether, saving even more weight on the selector, detent, spring, and the material initially removed from the lower receiver for their installation
    4) Follow Rule 2 ("Keep your finger off the trigger")

Seriously, save weight by running the skinniest barrel, lightest grain bullet, and Magpul MBUS sights with no optic. If it still runs reliably and is still too heavy, look into lower-mass BCGs paired with lighter buffers and/or heavier buffer springs. If it's still too heavy, get a quality, padded, wide sling.
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    My intent is not for the lightest possible as there are options out there. I think people latched onto that a bit too hard.

My goal for this selector is:

1) selector similar in quality and weight to the Battle Arms LW selector (which I have in two lowers)
    2) ambi
    3) not mushy like the Seekins ambi I have
    4) reliable and compatible with my SDC triggers ( I have heard reports of some selectors not being compatible?)
    Gotcha thanks for the clarification.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast