Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSA Rifle Kit

Feedback Score

PSA Rifle Kit

Decided to take my first leap into an eventual custom build by starting with a rifle kit just to get the hang of some of the assembly process. PSA put their M4 Carbine Classic Rifle Kits on sale for $299 so I ordered one yesterday. I'll pick up a stripped lower (probably a Spike's) from a local gun shop. My son also ordered a kit so we'll work on them together when he comes in to visit the weekend after next. Hoping not to have too many flying springs...but it's bound to happen.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like a cool project to tackle with your son. If youre just looking to work through the build process and do some range shooting PSA is a very budget friendly choice.

Id recomend printing out or typing up a sheet with your important torque specs and a detailed parts/assembly diagram if you're not too familiar with the assembly process and maybe que up a youtube video on the build process it was really helpful in my first build even just for some better techniques to assemble the parts where you feel like you need three hands (like pinning the bolt catch in place without mangling your lower)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    It’s fun. I did this “for my wife,” so she could “have her own,” but of course I did everything myself and shot it alone.

It’s not needed, but I would personally recommend this book as a reference:

https://www.amazon.com/Armorers-Manu...opher+Bartocci

Feedback Score
    Hey fellows, the correct forum for this sort of post is here:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdispl...om-Build-Forum
    Last edited by Aetius; 07-04-18 at 09:19.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

PSA Rifle Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Aetius View Post
    Hey fellows, the correct thread for this sort of post is here:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdispl...om-Build-Forum
    Actually, no it wouldn’t. Read the sticky that outlines how the custom build forum works.
    Last edited by Inkslinger; 07-04-18 at 09:20.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Inkslinger is right. In fact, posts that say nothing more than "Hey, I'm getting a new AR!" are not allowed in any forum, except in the AR photo thread. D6, if you don't want this thread to get locked, you should update it with more pertinent information. Tell us why you choose the particular kit you did (beyond just "it was cheap"), what you hope it will do for you and be sure to follow up with how it shoots and whether or not it meets your expectations.

I think you should contact PSA and purchase one of their lowers to go with the kit. You won't get a lower cheaper from the LGS even after adding the cost of shipping and FFL fees to the PSA. Right now PSA has lowers for $40 each.

Do yourself a favor and order H2 buffers and Colt M4 extractor springs for each kit. PSA ships their kits with with carbine weight buffers (which are simply too light no matter how an AR is gassed) and my experience has shown the extractor springs PSA uses are too weak and wear out fast.

Before assembling, check the feed ramps of the barrel and upper receiver to make sure they match. If they don't, the rifle could end up having issues feeding. My first PSA kit had mismatched feed ramps which PSA took care of quickly and cheerfully.

Double check the torque on the barrel nut (remove the gas tube before you do) and check the gas port diameter of the barrel (if you can) and record it. The gas port diameter will tell you if you should expect the rifle to be over gassed and can help you in troubleshooting any issues that arise or if you decide to get a silencer.

Good luck with your build!
    Last edited by MistWolf; 07-04-18 at 10:16.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Actually, no it wouldn’t. Read the sticky that outlines how the custom build forum works.
    Copy that, I stand corrected.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So if I'm reading correctly all you need is a lower - on sale right above the rifle for 39.99 - and you'd have a complete rifle for 340.00 plus shipping and transfer - certainly under 450.00 after taxes.

I just built two 'cheap as I can' using parts I bought on sale Noreen lowers, Toolcraft C158 bolts, BCM blem uppers, blem BA barrels, ALG EMR VE tubes, everything else as low cost as I could get for quality parts (e.g. carbon steel vs. aluminum gas blocks) and using take-off GI stocks I had in the bin. As close as I can figure I came in at 573.00 including shipping for a slick riflr - no sights.

I think you will get more than enough bang for your buck with that deal -fun of doing it with your son, determining what upgrades you want, ending up with a serviceable range rifle.

Have fun.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    More facebook about guns... sweet, you got a rifle kit...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Inkslinger is right. In fact, posts that say nothing more than "Hey, I'm getting a new AR!" are not allowed in any forum, except in the AR photo thread. D6, if you don't want this thread to get locked, you should update it with more pertinent information. Tell us why you choose the particular kit you did (beyond just "it was cheap"), what you hope it will do for you and be sure to follow up with how it shoots and whether or not it meets your expectations.

I think you should contact PSA and purchase one of their lowers to go with the kit. You won't get a lower cheaper from the LGS even after adding the cost of shipping and FFL fees to the PSA. Right now PSA has lowers for $40 each.

Do yourself a favor and order H2 buffers and Colt M4 extractor springs for each kit. PSA ships their kits with with carbine weight buffers (which are simply too light no matter how an AR is gassed) and my experience has shown the extractor springs PSA uses are too weak and wear out fast.

Before assembling, check the feed ramps of the barrel and upper receiver to make sure they match. If they don't, the rifle could end up having issues feeding. My first PSA kit had mismatched feed ramps which PSA took care of quickly and cheerfully.

Double check the torque on the barrel nut (remove the gas tube before you do) and check the gas port diameter of the barrel (if you can) and record it. The gas port diameter will tell you if you should expect the rifle to be over gassed and can help you in troubleshooting any issues that arise or if you decide to get a silencer.

Good luck with your build!
    Thanks for the suggestions and info. This will be my 2d AR. My first is a Saint Edge - love the weight and match-type parts like the trigger. Have about 400 rounds through it so far without a single malfunction.

I went with PSA based on recommendations I read for an inexpensive but relatively good quality rifle. I plan on swapping out the front handguard with something more "Hand friendly" and will add a flip-up rear sight...looking at a Magpul but waiting to see what color furniture I end up with (ordered an OD Green but realized my son did the same so asked PSA customer service to swap out for a Dark Earth version).

I'm planning on buying the lower from a newer local shop to make some contacts. They have an indoor range and want to shop local.

I'm open to other suggestions as well. Thanks for the help so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast