Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pencil barrels

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocalsocal View Post
    Why the apprehension towards nitride barrels? From what I've gathered a properly nitrided barrel is equivalent to a properly chrome lined one for the vast majority of shooters. Both have their positives and negatives. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.
    I'm probably wrong here but it feels like the same tired arguments against the use of polymer in firearms.

PS. Sorry for continuing the thread derailment

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Long story short, the loosening of the barrel extension is what steers me away
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I also don't use lightweight barrels. I prefer intermediate weight barrels, basically the same weight as gov't profile but with the mass moved back towards the chamber, like the N4, hanson profile ect.

Anyway, if you really want to learn more about the subject I would look for the original Aberdeen Proving Ground documents in testing various treatments and plating on everything from small arms barrels to auto cannons to 120mm smooth bore tank guns. I would put more faith in those documents than manufactures claims that nitride is "just as good as". You dont see them thrown around in the usual chrome vs nitride because they are technical papers that are hard to interpret.
    Wow, a ton of solid, data driven information.....thanks
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hk_shootr View Post
    A shorter barrel would be stiffer, correct?
    Correct. http://riflebarrels.com/a-look-at-th...hrest-barrels/
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    Chrome plated > nitride > bare bore

But then, I have many bare barrels, so . . .
    My sentiments exactly! Nitride, to me, is still FAR better than a bare bore. Example: nitiride is a good option for those who would like to upgrade an MR556 barrel, since real 416 barrels are unobtanium. It is a legit option for weapons that do not have common availability of parts.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I also don't use lightweight barrels. I prefer intermediate weight barrels, basically the same weight as gov't profile but with the mass moved back towards the chamber, like the N4, hanson profile ect.

Anyway, if you really want to learn more about the subject I would look for the original Aberdeen Proving Ground documents in testing various treatments and plating on everything from small arms barrels to auto cannons to 120mm smooth bore tank guns. I would put more faith in those documents than manufactures claims that nitride is "just as good as". You dont see them thrown around in the usual chrome vs nitride because they are technical papers that are hard to interpret.
    Can you provide a link? My google search only yielded stuff about the location and environmental stuff. As a ChemE, you have my curiosity.

My current thoughts are Cr>nitride for a few reasons, but they are based on theory. I havent talked myself into nitride for barrels yet.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 07-06-18 at 22:06.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Is that even an issue?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Pencil barrels

It’s my understanding properly made nitrided AR barrels from reputable companies retorque the barrel extension after the process. Or the parts are nitrided separately and then assembled, timed, and torqued to the proper values.
    Regardless I believe companies like Ballistic Advantage, Faxon, and Criterion etc. have solved this drawback to the process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Nocalsocal; 07-07-18 at 06:26.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by feraldog View Post
    my preference for the last 40 years has been pencils. and faxon pencils are fine.
    Me too. I've never owned a rifle that didn't shoot better than I did, pencil barrel or otherwise.

Feedback Score
    If you read any threads with input from Battlefield Las Vegas, they claim chrome has a longer life than nitride.

Faxon says nitride is normally more durable than chrome BUT at extreme temps chrome is more durable than nitride.

I run a BCM 14.5” pinned pencil barrel, chrome lined. Accuracy wasn’t a top priority for this build, otherwise I’d run a heavier profile nitride barrel. This was bought about 5 years ago when there wasn’t a lot of real world feedback on nitride.

No complaints re:BCM but between the two, I’d choose Faxon.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Can you provide a link? My google search only yielded stuff about the location and environmental stuff. As a ChemE, you have my curiosity.

My current thoughts are Cr>nitride for a few reasons, but they are based on theory. I havent talked myself into nitride for barrels yet.
    As for the small arms stuff alot of the links I have from dtic.mil arent working anymore. Maybe they'll get them working soon?

http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=get...fier=ADA317929

https://ndiastorage.blob.core.usgovc...waterfield.pdf

I think this one should work, but it also might kill your eyes.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/500112.pdf

You wanted technical here you go:

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/751862.pdf
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 07-08-18 at 02:03.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123