Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Study on CCW impact on crime.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

New Study on CCW impact on crime.

As expected, being ignored by the media:

State Level Firearm Concealed-Carry Legislation and Rates of Homicide and Other Violent Crime

Presented at the American College of Surgeons 104th Annual Clinical Congress, Scientific Forum,
    January 2019Volume 228, Issue 1, Pages 1–8

Background

Over the last 30 years, public opinion and state level legislation regarding the concealed-carry of firearms have shifted dramatically. Previous studies of potential effects have yielded mixed results, making policy recommendations difficult. We investigated whether liberalization of state level concealed-carry legislation was associated with a change in the rates of homicide or other violent crime.

Study Design

Data on violent crime and homicide rates were collected from the US Department of Justice Uniform Crime Reporting Program (UCR) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) over 30 years, from 1986 to 2015. State level concealed-carry legislation was evaluated each study year on a scale including “no carry,” “may issue,” “shall issue,” and “unrestricted carry.” Data were analyzed using general multiple linear regression models with the log event rate as the dependent variable, and an autoregressive correlation structure was assumed with generalized estimating equation (GEE) estimates for standard errors.

Results

During the study period, all states moved to adopt some form of concealed-carry legislation, with a trend toward less restrictive legislation. After adjusting for state and year, there was no significant association between shifts from restrictive to nonrestrictive carry legislation on violent crime and public health indicators. Adjusting further for poverty and unemployment did not significantly influence the results.

Conclusions

This study demonstrated no statistically significant association between the liberalization of state level firearm carry legislation over the last 30 years and the rates of homicides or other violent crime. Policy efforts aimed at injury prevention and the reduction of firearm-related violence should likely investigate other targets for potential intervention.

Full paper:

https://www.journalacs.org/article/S...074-X/fulltext
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    All those policy making surgeons at the convention. Bloomberg’s dream.

Did the study take gun free zones and any measures of deterrent into consideration?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    All those policy making surgeons at the convention. Bloomberg’s dream.

Did the study take gun free zones and any measures of deterrent into consideration?
    I recommend you read the paper. It’s in the link. It’s very very favorable for us.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    I recommend you read the paper. It’s in the link. It’s very very favorable for us.
    I'd thought the bolded part made that clear enough for those who didn't wanna read the full paper.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Indeed, what seems to be a favorable study for CCW’ers

Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Anyone ever run stats on 1st Amendment rights to see if we should have those too? I have the right to defend myself and my family. I appreciate that some did the study and got a result that supports my rights, but you have all those other studies from the left- and when you have this kind of analysis on multi variable systems, it seems you can get (or hide) pretty much anything you want.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I'd thought the bolded part made that clear enough for those who didn't wanna read the full paper.
    I admit. I only read the bold which says CCW does not stop crime. Therefore, for Bloomberg, all the more reason for bans and to stop Constitutional carry. And surgeons, who know nothing of criminology, will parade it out for their patients.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    I admit. I only read the bold which says CCW does not stop crime. Therefore, for Bloomberg, all the more reason for bans and to stop Constitutional carry. And surgeons, who know nothing of criminology, will parade it out for their patients.
    But that's not what it says. It says CCW does not increase crime.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    But that's not what it says. It says CCW does not increase crime.

Feedback Score
    Doesn't this say "more guns, unchanged crime" vs. Lott saying "more guns, less crime"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast