Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What am I looking at here?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

What am I looking at here?

Found cleaning out a relatives closets. The non lever guns look like 22s. No idea what they are. These photos were sent to me so I can’t personally examine the guns. It’s liekly that they have been in thatclosrt for 35+ years. I was told there were no readily identified markings.

E20404CF-0F42-465A-BB1C-0B491C4F63D6.jpg

1ADA8894-3EEE-44E4-871F-B9D9E8AAA35F.jpg

D360E0C0-621D-45CC-99AA-A643B3686251.jpg
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Assuming it's a 30-30 ....looks like a Winchester 94 since I'm not seeing a right side ejection port. Winchester ejects from the top. However pics suck

Marlin made top ejection but not in 30-30. AFAIK. That being said I am not a lever action aficionado and going off of basic knowledge

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arik; 07-05-18 at 12:19.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Yes my guess is .22
    Weatherby bolt Gun
    30-30 or some Cowboy caliber lever gun.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Worth any significant $$?
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    We really need better (larger, higher resolution) images to be able to tell much of anything. The top gun is most likely an older Marlin Model 60. The lever gun looks like a Winchester of some sort but it's impossible for me to tell anything from those images. No idea on the bolt action in the middle.

The Winchester may or may not have some value, depending on model, age, caliber, condition, etc. The Marlin 60 is worth less than $200. No idea on the middle gun without an ID or at least better pictures.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 07-05-18 at 20:48.

Feedback Score
    The top one is Marlin Model 60 or clone as it was copied by many store brands.

The middle one I’m taking a SWAG and saying that is a bolt action shotgun, such as a JC Higgins 583.24 or Mossberg 185 k. They have weird proportions on the stock and came with adjustable chokes.

The lever I’m not sure on yet but I’m leaning toward a pistol caliber rifle, just don’t have enough to go off.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The top rifle is a Marlin Model 60 or Glenfield or derivative thereof, in 22 rimfire.

The center is a bolt action shotgun. It look like a Mossberg 12 gauge Goose Gun.

The bottom is, of course, some sort of lever action. In the photo the stock looks plastic. What's more telling is the wear on the finish of the lever and the handguard band. The photos are not clear enough to speak with complete certainty, but the way the lever and band are worn, they look like they were made from zinc. Once upon a time, there were some very cheap lever actions made, one being a single shot.

Judging from the photos, none are worth very much. Best thing to do is clean them up, take them to a reputable gunsmith to make the firearms are safe to shoot and don't need repair take them shooting. It's possible the .22 and the shotgun were made by Marlin/Mossberg for Sears, Western Auto or Montgomery Wards. Back in the early days, such firearms were not always clearly marked.

ETA- What am I saying? Of course the lever action cannot be a 22 repeater because it has a loading gate. I also looked up photos of the single shot lever action 22 and the details don't match. Clearer photos are needed to better identify the lever action.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 07-07-18 at 11:52.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks guys. Great info.

These guns are unlikely to ever see a range again. I just wanted to make sure our family doesn’t have some diamond in the rough that can help pay for my grandmothers medical care.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Thanks guys. Great info.
    I just wanted to make sure our family doesn’t have some diamond in the rough that can help pay for my grandmothers medical care.
    Well....if you can get some good pics it'd be easier to tell

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    yep really need a bit better pics or at least close ups of each

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast