Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR For Home Defense--Where Do You Store Yours?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

AR For Home Defense--Where Do You Store Yours?

If you rely on an AR 15 for home defense, where do you put yours? Do you put it under your bed? Hanging in the closet of your bedroom? Where? Loaded? Does this actually replace a handgun for home defense?

Feedback Score

AR For Home Defense--Where Do You Store Yours?

I keep my AR where I can access it from my bedside, but it out of sight. It is loaded, safety engaged.

When you ask “does it replace the handgun?” What are you meaning? Would you choose the handgun sometimes and choose the rifle sometimes? Of course the rifle is the primary, the handgun the secondary.

The rifle is suppressed, has a bigger and brighter light, has more ammunition, more effective ammunition, and penetrates less. I can’t think of any reason to choose the handgun as the primary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by redpillregret; 07-05-18 at 23:49.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Not that this hasn't been discussed a gajillion times before but..... Everyone is going to have a different life situation that is going to impact how this will occur. What works in my house may not work for the next guy and so on.

In my current situation my gun safe is located in my room. I have a handgun around and all times and I have a loaded rifle around at all times. When I am not home stuff is locked up. When I am home the safe is also generally open. I also have ankle snappers that are starting to come around more so I have to be more aware of that and keep stuff locked up.

Everyone with a magazine has an empty chamber, on fire and hammer forward.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    In my current situation my gun safe is located in my room. I have a handgun around and all times and I have a loaded rifle around at all times. When I am not home stuff is locked up. When I am home the safe is also generally open. Everyone with a magazine has an empty chamber, on fire and hammer forward.
    Pretty much where I am at, except when I am home my safes are always open.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Leaning on the nightstand when I'm home. I'm damned sure not grabbing a pistol on my home court.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    12 gauge, locked in my safe in my closet, chamber empty, buckshot shells in a holder on the buttstock and several mini slugs in a holder on the sling. I also have a 92 with a mag at the ready and a few more loaded and ready to go on the same shelf. I have small kids and a big dog. My house has a fair degree of distance between the closest neighbors, but is still within overpentration range of a 223. I like my neighbors and they would help if needed so shooting them is something I would prefer to avoid.

Thankfully, my house is laid out so that it is eminently defensible: only one staircase up to the bedrooms and that staircase is in the center of the house. The dog may or may not scare off or even stop an attacker, but he will buy me a little bit of time. I camp on the landing at the top of the stairs, while my wife calls 911 from behind the exterior thickness (1.75") solid wood door with reinforced jamb of my daughter's room. She knows that she is to shout "don't come in I have a gun" and not to open the door - even for me - unless the 911 dispatcher confirms with her that the officer on scene has cleared the house except for that room.

The muzzle flash and sound of my 14.5" AR is something that would be shock inducing in a small area.
    Last edited by pubb; 07-06-18 at 10:29.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by redpillregret View Post
    I can’t think of any reason to choose the handgun as the primary.
    It leaves one hand available to manipulate door knobs, security panels, cell phone, pick up a child, et al. and typically will not over penetrate while utilizing reputable HP ammo (assuming 9mm). YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    I have my M4 stuffed into an IWB holster disguised as a colostomy bag. The buttstock sticks out considerably, so I put a blonde wig and a styrofoam head on it that I painted to look like a real face. It works for a darkened room. It makes it look like I have a person backing me up in case the shit gets real.
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 07-06-18 at 14:39.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    double tap.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    It leaves one hand available to manipulate door knobs, security panels, cell phone, pick up a child, et al. and typically will not over penetrate while utilizing reputable HP ammo (assuming 9mm). YMMV.

The 9mm penetrate more than my 5.56. I have a sling if I need to operate a security panel. I can hold the rifle one handed if need be. I keep all doors open 45 degrees except for the room I’m in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    "You're living on a tax farm as free range humans . . ."

The whole thread was worth it just to see the above. I am going to steal this from you Moose-Knuckle and probably not give you credit. My attorney accept papers when you sue me.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast