Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: AR For Home Defense--Where Do You Store Yours?

Feedback Score

AR For Home Defense--Where Do You Store Yours?

I have a S&W 686 357 mag within reach at night. I don’t have to worry about a safety, chambering a round, or any other fine motor skills. Being double action, it’s not going to go off unless I really mean for it to.

If I get up and see there are 50 zombies surrounding the house, I have an AR, shotgun, and a katana handy.

If my initial group of arms aren’t enough, I can open the safe and get some real whoop ass out. God help me if it gets to that point.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    I dry fire a lot and I don’t want to be rechambering the same round over and over and I also don’t want to go through 30 rounds a month of Hornady TAP.
    This is where the forward assist comes into play. If someone were breaking into my house, I don't want to make noise by racking a round into an empty AR. At first, my thought was to ease down the charging handle, then press the bolt into battery with the FA. It soon dawned on me to simply load the AR this way before setting it out for the night to keep the bullet from jumping and the primer being crushed from repeated chamberings.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KUSA View Post
    I have a S&W 686 357 mag within reach at night. I don’t have to worry about a safety, chambering a round, or any other fine motor skills. Being double action, it’s not going to go off unless I really mean for it to.

If I get up and see there are 50 zombies surrounding the house, I have an AR, shotgun, and a katana handy.

If my initial group of arms aren’t enough, I can open the safe and get some real whoop ass out. God help me if it gets to that point.
    Well... zombies don’t exist so.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    This is where the forward assist comes into play. If someone were breaking into my house, I don't want to make noise by racking a round into an empty AR. At first, my thought was to ease down the charging handle, then press the bolt into battery with the FA. It soon dawned on me to simply load the AR this way before setting it out for the night to keep the bullet from jumping and the primer being crushed from repeated chamberings.
    If someone breaks into my house at balls dark thirty with two cars sitting in the driveway, I don’t much care if they hear me charge the weapon. I’m pretty sure at that point they’ve already deduced that someone(s) is home. If it malfunctions, then, there is a g19 on the night stand next to it. Which in honesty, I’m probably grabbing the g19 anyways, the AR is there if I have time to use it; I’m alerted by our cameras or by our ring video door bell or perhaps a loud noise in the yard etc...

Feedback Score

Zombie can be considered a euphemism.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    The hell they DON'T! They've been marching all OVER Pittsburgh the past month.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I know what it is and it’s retarded.

Feedback Score
    I keep and ar cocked and locked next to the bed, along with a 1911 and a wml on the nightstand. And gasp, everything I have is loaded with roll your owns. But where we live, their is almost 0 chance of ever needing them. Hell we don't even have keys for our doors.

Quote Originally Posted by marufamin View Post
    Overall, however, I believe a 12ga shotgun loaded with birdshot is the overall best weapon for home defense. Just my opinion.
    A lot of real world scenarios would disagree with you, along with a lot of ballistics tests on YouTube.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ubet; 07-07-18 at 20:57.

Feedback Score

AR For Home Defense--Where Do You Store Yours?

I’ve seen real world trauma cased by 12 ga. birdshot. It is less than impressive. One instance, from a man that broke into a residence. He was shot three times with birdshot including to the neck, chest, and groin. When authorities arrived, the suspect was beating the victim after having taken three rounds.

If you choose birdshot, you’re an idiot.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

George A. Romero always said that he found the neighbors far more frightening than Dracula, The Mummy, Frankenstein, et al. so when he created the zombie genre they were a metaphor for the masses.

A spot-on analogy IMHO and how I interpret the usage on forums of a self-defense subject matter.

Now back to house clearing, gun storage, and birdshot . . .

Quote Originally Posted by redpillregret View Post
    I’ve seen real world trauma cased by 12 ga. birdshot. It is less than impressive. One instance, from a man that broke into a residence. He was shot three times with birdshot including to the neck, chest, and groin. When authorities arrived, the suspect was beating the victim after having taken three rounds.

If you choose birdshot, you’re an idiot.
    No doubt there is an untold number of poor bastards out there that attempted suicide with a 12 gauge pump loaded with birdshot that only succeeded in making their life suck way more. They thought it would work and now they don't have a face, yikes.
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 07-08-18 at 03:39.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast