Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .223 Wylde Build (Need some opinions and guidance ASAP)

Feedback Score

Exclamation .223 Wylde Build (Need some opinions and guidance ASAP)

Well, I'm starting another build. This will be AR #4, but my first "build." I have a general idea of where I want it to go, but need some opinions. My central idea and goal is to build a REECE rifle. I'm not looking to do a budget build, but I also don't want to break the bank haha. To start out, possibly the toughest option for me, is figuring out what upper and lower I want to go with. I've really been drawn towards a billet lower or even a receiver set. I really dig the designs and logos and pictograms on billet receivers compared to forged. I also want to have them cerakoted either FDE or some variant of bronze or brown, it would be awesome if the company offered cerakote options, but if not I could always send them to get cerakoted. I've been looking at a receiver sets such as Seekins, Noveske, San Tan Tactical, DRD tactical, Mega Arms, Sharps Bro's, Wilson Combat, Rainer Arms, etc. My price point for the lower and upper is around 500.A billet lower and forged upper would be okay too. I just want to be sure that everything would fit nice and tight. For my barrel, I've decided to go with a Ballistic Advantage 16 inch .223 Wylde SPR Stainless Steel Fluted barrel. I love the look, the reviews are excellent, and it's not going to break the bank but is surely a quality barrel. For my BCG, I've been looking at a Sharps Rifle Company XPB or NIB, but am open to any other options. For the lower parts kit, I've been checking out a lot of one's of the, on Granite Ridge Outfitter's website and they are running awesome sales on LPK'S with drop in triggers. Would a single stage trigger be fine for most scenarios, or would a two stage be better. And I'm drawn in between round or flat triggers, but that's not really one of my worries. For my handguard, I've been looking at a Geislee MK8 15 inch handguard. Would that fit fine with a billet upper if I went with one? I know they're on sale right now on Geislee's website so I need to make a decision quick. I'm going to order one of the lower parts kits either tonight or Sunday before the July 4th sale ends. For the lower, I'll have to wait until the first of next week to order but I could order the upper tomorrow as well. I was going to buy the barrel I stated this week, but Ballistic Advantage has the barrel out of stock on their website so I just didnt worry about ordering other websites because I wanted to have the, pin the gas block so I wouldn't have to go through all the hassle of that. Sorry for the huge paragraph, but i want this rifle to be a quality build, while also looking very sharp. Thanks for any help y'all can give, im sort of in a hurry to go ahead and order some parts while on sale. Please let me know if I'm leaving anything out as well. Thanks again!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The actual receivers are low stress components. So as long as they are built correctly, go with whatever suits your desire. My only concern with fancy receivers is if they take proprietary parts in case the company goes out of business and you need parts later.

The Geissele rails are fantastic and you would just have to make sure whatever billet upper you choose is "milspec" size around the barrel attachment area to allow the anti rotation pins to fit.

Ive heard good things about BA barrels. Just make sure it has a decent gas port size.

The only thing on your list that Id have reservations about is the bolt carriers. Some of the carriers that have the cool guy finishes have been known to have those finishes flake off. I cant remember which finish that is, I think it was some sort of nickel finish or some shit, but do some googling of those bolt carrier groups before you buy. Personally Id just buy a good BCG from Sionics or SOLGW and call it a day.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Strongly suggest getting a receiver set
    I’ve been working on some mix sets and have run into tolerance stack issues

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Forged receivers are stronger than billet receivers, and Geissele handguards are designed to fit milspec forged uppers. For those two reasons I recommend a nice tight fitting set of forged receivers. Mega, Noveske, and Rainier all market nice sets of tight forged receivers. All three happen to be machined by Mega anyway. An alternative would be to use a Vltor upper with a Geissele handguard. I have used that combo in the past with good results. Skip the Sharps bcg. It is overpriced for what you get, and they have had their fair share of heat treatment issues in the past. Fancy bcg coatings are pure marketing BS. I have tried Nib bcgs, and black nitride bcgs, and found they offer nothing over milspec phosphate bcgs. At the end of the day you still have to scrape carbon off the tail of the bolt no matter what coating you use. Buy a quality LPK from the start, and save yourself the headache down the road. Geissele sells a good LPK that doesn't break the bank. Buy a trigger that is designed to compliment the type of shooting you plan to do with this gun. If you want a precision bench shooter, than a tuned 2 stage may be a good choice. If you envision yourself kitting up, and imitating your favorite YouTube gunfighter, than a light trigger may not be the best choice.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I would suggest getting the Geissele trigger of your choice.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Larue has a sale on the MBT2S trigger for $87 (plus shipping) but I'll bet they are going to be back ordered if they are not already
    for less than $100 to your door, that trigger is super hard to beat IMHO

I've got a Geissele SD-C, SD-E, POF 3.5 drop in flat, Rock River Arms 2Stage National Match and the Larue is strong competition and in some ways feels slightly crisper than the SD triggers.
    I also have just received a Geissele SD-SSP (flat bow) that I have not installed yet.
    I just wish Larue would do their MBT2S in a flat bow and they'd probably be in all my rifles...

Feedback Score
    I've been looking a whole lot at Lantac's enhanced Nickel Boron BCG, and I have found a website that has a great deal on it. I have heard many people reference it when talking about quality BCG's.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibsonBanjos View Post
    I've been looking a whole lot at Lantac's enhanced Nickel Boron BCG, and I have found a website that has a great deal on it. I have heard many people reference it when talking about quality BCG's.
    I cannot comment on the BCG you mentioned but I can highly recommend the Sionics NP3 BCG.
    http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/stor...d-cam-pin.html

By the way, you can give them a call and I'm sure they'd be happy to put together a receiver set for you.
    Last edited by 556BlackRifle; 07-08-18 at 10:22.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    San tan had really nice receiver sets. Mega was bought out by ZEV but you should still be able to find mega sets or the ZEV are good to go as well.

I agree with all the other suggestions to go with Sionics NP3 BCG if you want a coated BCG. Nickel Teflon is good stuff.

As far as lower parts kits Sionics, Colt, BCM are good choices. Get a builder set and add the trigger and grip of your choice.

Vltor A5 buffer system would also be worth a look over standard carbine

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibsonBanjos View Post
    Well, I'm starting another build. This will be AR #4, but my first "build." I have a general idea of where I want it to go, but need some opinions. My central idea and goal is to build a REECE rifle. I'm not looking to do a budget build, but I also don't want to break the bank haha. To start out, possibly the toughest option for me, is figuring out what upper and lower I want to go with. I've really been drawn towards a billet lower or even a receiver set. I really dig the designs and logos and pictograms on billet receivers compared to forged. I also want to have them cerakoted either FDE or some variant of bronze or brown, it would be awesome if the company offered cerakote options, but if not I could always send them to get cerakoted. I've been looking at a receiver sets such as Seekins, Noveske, San Tan Tactical, DRD tactical, Mega Arms, Sharps Bro's, Wilson Combat, Rainer Arms, etc. My price point for the lower and upper is around 500.A billet lower and forged upper would be okay too. I just want to be sure that everything would fit nice and tight. For my barrel, I've decided to go with a Ballistic Advantage 16 inch .223 Wylde SPR Stainless Steel Fluted barrel. I love the look, the reviews are excellent, and it's not going to break the bank but is surely a quality barrel. For my BCG, I've been looking at a Sharps Rifle Company XPB or NIB, but am open to any other options. For the lower parts kit, I've been checking out a lot of one's of the, on Granite Ridge Outfitter's website and they are running awesome sales on LPK'S with drop in triggers. Would a single stage trigger be fine for most scenarios, or would a two stage be better. And I'm drawn in between round or flat triggers, but that's not really one of my worries. For my handguard, I've been looking at a Geislee MK8 15 inch handguard. Would that fit fine with a billet upper if I went with one? I know they're on sale right now on Geislee's website so I need to make a decision quick. I'm going to order one of the lower parts kits either tonight or Sunday before the July 4th sale ends. For the lower, I'll have to wait until the first of next week to order but I could order the upper tomorrow as well. I was going to buy the barrel I stated this week, but Ballistic Advantage has the barrel out of stock on their website so I just didnt worry about ordering other websites because I wanted to have the, pin the gas block so I wouldn't have to go through all the hassle of that. Sorry for the huge paragraph, but i want this rifle to be a quality build, while also looking very sharp. Thanks for any help y'all can give, im sort of in a hurry to go ahead and order some parts while on sale. Please let me know if I'm leaving anything out as well. Thanks again!
    http://bfy.tw/AmKT
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast