Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite recipes for the family

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Favorite recipes for the family

I know my place in the house hold. My time is spent either in the shop making saw dust or in the kitchen making meals that excite me and maybe even the children. It also doesn't help that I am a firefighter, and yes we all have to cook. Some are better than others. My kids have a few firehouse dinner favorites as well that I have made for them. What are your favorite meals that are home prepared, satisfying, and consumed by picky eaters? My favorite? Grilled balsamic vinegar and garlic pork loin with seasoned oven roasted red potatoes, carrots, and brussel sprouts. Picky firemen and my kids both eat it. Please share! I need some more variety!

Feedback Score
    My wife came up with a great dish:
    Chicken chunks sauted and just before its done, glaze balsamic vinegar on it.
    Spinach or herb pasta
    Parmesan cheese
    Fresh basil chopped over the top as a garnish.

My dish is pork, chops or chunks.
    Just before they are done, cover in franks, lime juice, a splash of hienz57 or warchestershire sauce, a splash of honey or apricot jelly, and a generous pinch of sage.

Add vegetable of choice.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Mac and Cheese with brisket.

The cheese sauce is made with Land o Lakes American, Velveeta, Land o Lakes butter with a milk and made separately.

The noodles are elbow shape and pressure steamed instead of boiled.

The brisket is from the same people that make Wolf Brand Chili and Ranch Style Beans.

Put noodles in bowl, place brisket in center of noodles, pour cheese sauce until half of the bowl is full. Stir. Enjoy.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Teriyaki marinated flank steak and parmesan crusted asparagus grilled and served with garlic mashed potatoes. Our family favorite.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'll preface that I don't cater to picky eaters. Don't have time for that.

I'm a chronic smoker... the standards... pork shoulder, ribs, brisket. I cheat according to my buddies because I use a Traeger, but I also don't have to dick around with lump charcoal and wood. They all agree that I'm better at it than they are..haha..

On hot days I like to make quick meals on the grill. Whip up a cilantro chimichurri sauce, put a couple steaks on the grill along with a bunch of onions, various sweat peppers and a poblano chili. Slice up the steak and put it all in warmed up tortillas.

One of our family favorites that is easy to size up and down for how many people you have is jambalaya. I hate to admit that one of the best jambalaya recipes that everyone seems to like is one I got out of a Better Homes and Gardens cook book. https://www.bhg.com/recipe/chicken/jambalaya/

Lately I've been messing with Instant Pot recipes. I marinated two pork chops last night in the left over chimichurri sauce for 24hrs. Put two sweet potatoes down in the bottom of the I.P. and a little water. Put the chops on top and cooked them for 15min with a natural depressurization of about 15 minutes. Oddly delicious. We also do country ribs and chili in the IP on a regular basis.

Feedback Score
    Fried rice I make
    Lots meat Hawaiian style

Slow cooker chili wife makes

Pizza we make the dough sauce from tomatoes etc.....
    We do not make the cheese though but insane good

We cook from basic or scratch a lot sit down family dinners etc...

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I make a big pot of carnitas, the kids put together whatever they want from there...tacos, nachos, burritos, tortas, chimichangas, goes good scramble eggs the next day, too.

My potato leek soup is always a winner

so is my chicken Thia basil
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    We should put together a cook book! I knew moving to the Midwest would cause a shift in cuisine. Fresh fish no longer an option. My brother on the west coast has the ocean in his back yard. Fish, crab, clams...

But it is also interesting how my local cuisine now consists of recipes that I never heard of in Oregon. Paprikosh, paczkis, babba cake, and other Polish influenced flavors are here and delicious.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I’ve been known to cook a mean bowl of cereal ��

JK,

I enjoy cooking ribeyes and shrimp boils.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I don't cook my family...

Andy

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast