Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite recipes for the family

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Sounds good, I'll give it a shot.
    Good recipe, but try adding a can of Campbell's Condensed French Onion Soup and it contributes a little more moisture while it cooks as well as more onion flavor.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks SteyrAUG for typing that all out. I will try it!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I am going to try papusas for the first time today. Any pointers? Not sure how I am going to get the dough thin enough and not fall apart before pan frying.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    I am going to try papusas for the first time today. Any pointers? Not sure how I am going to get the dough thin enough and not fall apart before pan frying.
    pupusa also used to love baleadas a bit dif
    used to get them from street vendors when I lived in Honduras all I know is the dough was not that thin compared to say USA style tortilas thin they were always a bit more thick but also very dense but tender seems the ones here are floury and yuck compared to those there
    when the ladies would pat them out with the hands so it was being held the whole time it was made or formed then throw down onto the metal so I think that should solved the fall apart making the dough so it holds together I know the dough looked quite shiny and lardy and their hands were kinda shiny when working with it
    also the one I went to almost daily her cook surface was a old oven door that was at the field where she set up then a burn barrel and she would just throw the old door on it wipe it off but I never saw her season it etc.. kinda why I also think there was a lot of lard in those as they never stuck

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Made this Shrimp stuff a few times. Everyone wants to know when I am making it.

Ingredients
 40 minutes 

• 1 (16 ounce) package linguine pasta
    • 8 tablespoons butter
    • 8 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    • 1 or 2 shallots, finely diced
    • 3 to 5 cloves garlic, minced
    • 1 pinch red pepper flakes
    • 2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
    • Diced link of Tasso.
    • couple pinches kosher salt and freshly
    ground pepper
    • 2 cup dry white wine
    • 2 lemons, juiced
    • bunch of finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
    • 2-3 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, or to taste

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; cook linguine in boiling water until nearly tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain. (I do it different, I like to place my linguine in a skillet, fill it with water until it just covers the noodles. Salt the water enough to flavor the noodles, add some olive oil to prevent sticking. Bring to boil and stir a little to keep from sticking or burning to bottom of pan. Boil until almost dry and the noodles should be nearly tender and absorbed the salt. No need to drain.)

Melt 4 tablespoons butter with 4 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir shallots, garlic, and red pepper flakes in the hot butter and oil until shallots are translucent, about 10 minutes.

Dry and then season shrimp with kosher salt and black pepper; add to the skillet and cook until pink, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Remove shrimp from skillet and keep warm.

Pour white wine and lemon juice into skillet and bring to a boil while scraping the browned bits of food off of the bottom of the skillet with a wooden spoon. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in skillet, stir 4 tablespoons olive oil into butter mixture, and bring to a simmer. Toss linguine, shrimp, and parsley in the butter mixture until coated; season with salt and black pepper. Drizzle with 1-3 teaspoon olive oil to serve.

All the quantities above are approximates, I just add ingredients to it until it feels right. Usually ends up with more butter and spice. I have made it with up to 8lbs of shrimp. Have never tossed any of it, it always gets eaten.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    GLAD to see this thread renewed..its a nice change from the crap of late.
    Im looking for an AWESOME chili recipe for a crock pot...one I can throw together in the pot before work, and come home 9 hours later and start eating.
    I like a THICK chili..not soupy. I like a medium or slightly more hot chili..nothing with freakin Ghost peppers or the like.
    WITH beans. Meat can be beef, bison, deer or any proper chili meat.
    If youve got a great recipe..but dont wanna share it with the world...PM me, itll go no further.
    Unusual ingredients are fine. Hit me up!
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My kids call these tootie beans.

Bush’s baked beans, not the huge can, but not the small almost personal size.
    Bacon
    Bell peppers (any color you like)
    KC masterpiece
    Brown sugar
    Honey
    Cayenne pepper.

Start with Bush’s baked beans on low and heating up.

Dust the beans with cayenne pepper. I like them with a kick.

Fry some bacon and dice up the bell peppers. I like going until crispy.

Once bacon is done set to the side.

Take the diced bell peppers and blacken them in the bacon grease. While these are getting blackened, break up the bacon to the size you want.

Once peppers are blackened, toss in the pot with the beans. I put a little bacon grease in also.

Now take the top of a bag of brown sugar and pinch about an inch off the top of the bag and dump that out. I would guess 3/4 cup for those that measure.

Give it about a 10 second shot of honey. Get your local honey, not the high fructose corn syrup crap the chain store calls honey.

Squeeze about 1/2 bottle of KC masterpiece in it.

Stir frequently until mixed up and all the sugar you just added gets dissolved.

Some folks like ground meat in it, I do not.

These are so much better on the second heat cycle the next day.

Feedback Score
    Cut up one or two Hillshire Farms Polska Kielbasas into 1 1/2" sections. Put in roaster pan. Add one pound of boneless pork ribs, cut into maybe 2" sections. Throw in one big jar of Ragu and one big jar of sauerkraut. Cook on 300F for 3 hours or so (no less). Stir occasionally. Serve with mashed potatoes, over egg noodles, or with pierogies.

The kielbasa swells and you can cut it and the ribs with a fork.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 10-15-19 at 18:58.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Here is a super easy way to cook a cheap pork roast:

1. Place pork roast in large crock pot.
    2. Fill up pot with apple cider vinegar.
    3. Add 10 cloves of garlic.

Cook until the roast is falling off the bone. It can then be shredded and eaten as a barbeque sandwich with BBQ sauce, eaten in a tortilla with pico de gallo or just as is.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    Red beans and Rice

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast