Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First / Final Build, updated photos

Feedback Score

First / Final Build, updated photos

This is the first AR-15 that I have fully assembled on my own. The whole project started almost entirely on accident. I bought an ALG lower parts kit on super sale, and then stumbled into a great deal on an Aero Precision receiver set. Oh shit, I said to myself, it looks like I am building a rifle... For a while, I was waffling on what barrel to get: a Ballistic Advantage CHF CL 14.5" for the durability and their purported accuracy, or a Noveske Afghan 14.5" stainless steel for the reknown precision even over the course of 20,000 rounds. I found the BA barrel on sale, and moved forward.

As it stands, the current upper mounts an Aimpoint T2 on an ADM to go along with the BA CHF CL barrel. The twinned upper, which parts are en route to me now, will mount the Razor 1-6 along with the Noveske Afghan. That configuration should be able to let me take the 556 round out to 500m and beyond. I'll update the thread once that upper is complete.

rifle 1.jpg

rifle 2.jpg

GENERAL PURPOSE UPPER

Aero Precision Upper + parts kit
    I got these on sale, and they work. I don't know what else to say.
    Ballistic Advantage Cold Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Hanson Profile 14.5" barrel
    The Hanson profile is a little slimmer and moves the weight towards the magazine well, which is where I wanted the balance point to be. The end result feels great in the hand.
    Geissele Mk14 handguard, 13"
    Geissele leads the pack with their designs, and if you're replacing the stock barrel nut and delta ring, I can't think of a better design on the market than the G/ALG barrel nut. There's just so much material contact, across such a length, that there's no flex whatever. Just a brilliant design. Plus, I got it on sale.
    Toolcraft Nitride 9310 BCG
    Nitride or die.
    Geissele Airborne Charging Handle
    I figured that Bill Geissele knew his shit and that the fellas speccing the design were consummate armsmen. It does not disappoint. Beautifully machined, with a great compromise in girth for the well knurled latches, I am very interested to see how this runs.
    Vortex Flash Hider
    Docsherm and GTF425 both counseled me towards using these, stating that they were the best flash hider in the bidness. Until I get an AAC suppressor mount, this is what I'll be running.
    Troy Flip Up BUIS
    Bombproof, and they work. What more need be said.
    Streamlight Railmount Weaponlight on an Arisaka Offset Mount
    I run one of these on a Haley Strategic Dropwing on my other rifle, and it has never failed me (and I don't exactly baby my shit).
    BCM Gunfighter VFG
    I'm a fan of stubby foregrips. This one was on sale. The end.
    Aimpoint T2 on ADM mount
    Very light weight, bomb proof optic on a great mount.

RECCE UPPER

Noveske Afghan 14.5" stainless steel barrel
    Those in the know have told me time and again that these are the best barrels you can get. A legit 1/2 MOA barrel out to 20,000 rounds. I fully intend on testing this theory.
    Geissele Mk14 handguard, 13"
    A matching handguard.
    VLTOR MUR upper receiver
    After some guidance from a few great shooters that I know (Eurodriver, I'm looking at you and your badass precision rifle), I caved in. If my goal was a precision upper, why compromise?
    Aero Upper Parts Kit
    On sale, in spec, works.
    Vortex Razor HD 1-6 w/ JM-1 in Geissele 1.93 Super Precision Mount
    Easily one of the finest optics that I've ever laid hands on, and a legit 1x red dot. With the JM-1, I should be able to rapidly engage man-sized targets out to 500m with relative ease, which was indeed the mission statement for this upper. The Geissele 1.93 Super Precision mount is a work of art. I'll eventually be mounting a PEQ onto these uppers, and so the high mount is important to the overall design trajectory.

LOWER

Aero Precision Lower Receiver
    See above. On sale, in spec, works. The end.
    ALG Lower Parts Kit
    The only changes here were the fire control group (detailed below), and the addition of an MOE trigger guard (it was on sale for $4, which is less than I spend on a sammich) and a BCM Mod 1 grip.
    Seekins Precision Short Throw Ambidextrous Safety
    Rugged, well designed, handsome and toothsome knurling... what's not to like? If there is one control on my rifle that I want fully ambidextrous, it is the safety.
    Geissele G2S Trigger
    My main rifle runs a G2S, and I honestly couldn't see a reason to run anything else.
    BCM A5 Receiver Extension + BCM Gunfighter SOPMOD Stock + BCM QD Endplate
    I've always wanted to run an A5 system on my main rifle. The engineering principles at work allow for much better operating conditions with much finer controls over said conditions. Given that I was building from the ground up, there was no reason not to get it. Were I building with a completed lower, I'd get a stock Carbine extension and drive on, but that wasn't the goal here. I was building a lightsaber.

In closing, if you made it this far, thanks for reading. This was a helluva project. I can't thank the fellas on this forum that helped me out enough. In particular: ContaxShooter, Docsherm, Eurodriver, GTF425, Mr. Goodtimes. You all either provided material support and/or were incredibly patient with your responses to my (too many) questions. With the completion of the second upper, I should be essentially done. I'll have a light weight red dot upper that will reliably fight out to 300m, and a precision upper that will take the effective engagement range out to the very limits of the 5.56x45mm cartridge.

I'll update the thread once I get the Afghan upper put together.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by noonesshowmonkey; 07-16-18 at 01:37. Reason: grammer / usage / spelling / clarity / concision

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

First / Final Build

Should have just bought the new Geissele URG Upper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 07-07-18 at 17:28.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Should have just bought a KAC.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Good build. Don't listen to them.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    With that optic bridging the upper and rail, it will lose zero/fly off the gun the first time you shoot it.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    Should have just bought a KAC.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    With that optic bridging the upper and rail, it will lose zero/fly off the gun the first time you shoot it.
    Indeed, this build needs a cantilever mount.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    So now that we’re done ruining your exceedingly well put together and informative thread.... Very well thought out and put together rifle dude. This rifle embodies everything a good general purpose rifle should be.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Yeah I’d recommend extending the stock and moving that optic back. There’s hardly any reason to use an optic mount to bridge the upper and rail, even if it’s a solid rail.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Yeah I’d recommend extending the stock and moving that optic back. There’s hardly any reason to use an optic mount to bridge the upper and rail, even if it’s a solid rail.
    Note bene regarding the current photo: the super precision mount was used to time the rail to the upper during installation. The Razor HD 1-6 will be on the Afghan upper, which is yet to be assembled. The current build will use an aimpoint T2, but I do not yet have the mount.

I was just excited after having finished the base rifle.

The final configurations are coming.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast