Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what should i put in my bug-out-bag?

Feedback Score

what should i put in my bug-out-bag?

I've working on practicing my survival skills and am currently in the progress of making a bug-out-bag (B.O.B.) for stuff like natural disasters like a pandemic, earthquake, hurricane, etc. I put the regular stuff in it like a first aid kit, and canned food, radio, stuff like that but I don't really know what else to put in it and I'm asking for your help thanks! also note that I live on the coast, should I have stuff specifically for that?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If by “stuff like that”, you mean fire starter and water filtration, good. If not, definitely add those. Some 550 cord and Mylar blanket are a good idea too. I like the Sawyer mini for water filtration. It’s compact and filters 50,000 gallons.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    $10,000 cash!
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The scenarios you listed are fairly localized and relatively short term regarding pure survival. Katrina is the big one that we can look at in the US. A little water, food, and clothing appropriate for the weather will keep you alive. Beyond that, items that would help you A. leave the area, 2. secure shelter once a safe location is found, and D. continue living a somewhat normal life while displaced and/or facilitate returning home to do the same. A reliable vehicle, a good pair of boots & socks, and a good multitool are a good start for “bugging out”, past that, cash is king. $10k might be a bit much, but isn’t far off the mark. You should think about having enough for 1st/last/deposit on a place you could stand living in for a few months, a set of clothes appropriate for job interviews, fuel/bus pass and groceries for a month, and a bit extra for other incidentals. Copies (or originals/certified copies) of important documents that would be necessary to gain housing and employment like Social Security card/Passport/ID card, insurance policies for ease of starting the claims process for recovery/rebuilding/relocating expenses, etc. Those are solid items for any realistic bug-out scenario.

Feedback Score
    Toilet paper and/or baby wipes.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffM. View Post
    The scenarios you listed are fairly localized and relatively short term regarding pure survival. Katrina is the big one that we can look at in the US. A little water, food, and clothing appropriate for the weather will keep you alive. Beyond that, items that would help you A. leave the area, 2. secure shelter once a safe location is found, and D. continue living a somewhat normal life while displaced and/or facilitate returning home to do the same. A reliable vehicle, a good pair of boots & socks, and a good multitool are a good start for “bugging out”, past that, cash is king. $10k might be a bit much, but isn’t far off the mark. You should think about having enough for 1st/last/deposit on a place you could stand living in for a few months, a set of clothes appropriate for job interviews, fuel/bus pass and groceries for a month, and a bit extra for other incidentals. Copies (or originals/certified copies) of important documents that would be necessary to gain housing and employment like Social Security card/Passport/ID card, insurance policies for ease of starting the claims process for recovery/rebuilding/relocating expenses, etc. Those are solid items for any realistic bug-out scenario.
    Good advice ^^^. You need to know where you are "bugging out" to. This should be pre planned and scouted in advance. This will help determine what to pack. In my case I carry a "get home bag" since my home is my bug out location.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Duct tape, well that and the $10K.

You would be amazed at the number of imbeciles that don't even own one roll of duct tape. This is my preferred size and brand for a go bag, Gorilla Duct Tape To-Go seconded by Duck Brand Ducklings Mini Duct Tape Rolls.

ETA: OP, there are a metric poopoo ton of "bug-out-bag contents" threads on this particular sub-forum and the Fieldcraft & Survival technical sub-forum.
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 07-08-18 at 04:12.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Gas mask. (Some surplus masks like the PMG are still good) Money, Duct Tape, A pisol or SBR with plenty of ammo, Multi Tool, Machete, Hazmat Suit, Flare gun, Food, Water, etc.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    $10,000 cash!
    Cash? Precious metals baby!

Feedback Score
    Countless B-O-B discussions, what to have/take ad nauseam; where are you going ? What catastrophic circumstance(s) have you envisioned? Wildfire? Volcano? Earthquake? Tsunami? Zombie apocalypse? The answer is ....it depends :-)

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast