Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: what should i put in my bug-out-bag?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Clothes for job interviews? Are you talking about bugging out or moving?

Canned foods are a terrible idea if you’re on foot. Buy some MREs, they don’t have a crazy long shelf life but they’re perfect for what they were made for. And building a bag without a plan is just wasting money. Come up with some reasonable scenarios, pick some locations that you’d actually move to if able, and they figure out what you’d need to get there. And if your location is 10 miles always but you can’t walk more than two miles without a break, nothing you can buy is going to mean shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Note, I did not say pack clothes for a job interview in a bug out bag. I used it as an example of the versatility of having cash available under the circumstances described. Also, while planning is absolutely critical, and fitness may be important, those were not topics asked about in the OP. Your useful contribution to this thread could be summed up with five words: "Canned food bad. MREs good."

There have been many recent events that have caused people to "bug out" - several hurricanes and large scale wildfires come to mind. It would be interesting to gather AARs from those individuals and ask them what they took, what they found was useful, and what they wish they had.
    Last edited by JeffM.; 10-22-18 at 03:29.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffM. View Post
    Note, I did not say pack clothes for a job interview in a bug out bag. I used it as an example of the versatility of having cash available under the circumstances described. Also, while planning is absolutely critical, and fitness may be important, those were not topics asked about in the OP. Your useful contribution to this thread could be summed up with five words: "Canned food bad. MREs good."

There have been many recent events that have caused people to "bug out" - several hurricanes and large scale wildfires come to mind. It would be interesting to gather AARs from those individuals and ask them what they took, what they found was useful, and what they wish they had.
    I'm pretty sure everyone here knows that cash is versatile.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

what should i put in my bug-out-bag?

I'm pretty sure everyone here knows that cash is versatile.
    Yet you were confused by my post it seems. Cash seems to be often overlooked as a “bug out” item. People want to fantasize about the breakdown of society, but even in the most dire disaster circumstances in history, a few basic items, especially those that contribute to mobility, will get a person clear of the effected region and then life (and commerce) goes on.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    $10,000 cash!
    A guy was bragging about his get away stash. Part of it was a big stack of 1 oz Gold Coins. I asked him how he expected to get change for a tank of gas or a slurpee and chips?
    I keep Gold "tenths" or "dimes" around for Hurricane money.
    Other options?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffM. View Post
    Yet you were confused by my post it seems. Cash seems to be often overlooked as a “bug out” item. People want to fantasize about the breakdown of society, but even in the most dire disaster circumstances in history, a few basic items, especially those that contribute to mobility, will get a person clear of the effected region and then life (and commerce) goes on.
    And if cash is worthless due to what's happened, nothing in that BOB will save you either.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    And if cash is worthless due to what's happened, nothing in that BOB will save you either.
    That is absolutely one of the most ignorant statements I have ever read on M4C..... And that is saying a lot.

There are places all over the world that people don't give a shit about money but a knife will buy you anything you want. Cash is a great item to have along with other items.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Clothes for job interviews? Are you talking about bugging out or moving?

Canned foods are a terrible idea if you’re on foot. Buy some MREs, they don’t have a crazy long shelf life but they’re perfect for what they were made for. And building a bag without a plan is just wasting money. Come up with some reasonable scenarios, pick some locations that you’d actually move to if able, and they figure out what you’d need to get there. And if your location is 10 miles always but you can’t walk more than two miles without a break, nothing you can buy is going to mean shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MRE’s are a winning idea over canned food.... even the glorious SPAM. You just can’t get the same calorie count to weight ratio, IMO.
    I have some MRE’s in a climate controlled area. I’ll push past expiration date on those for sure. In Bosnia we got issued some old MRE’s that were expired. Quite a few cases in fact. We were not co-located with US Forces. But we ate them, aside from tactically relocating some rations and local cuisine, we ate em. Ate a lot of them and found the cheese is just as “plugging” expired as it is new. Crackers in some were crumbly but edible. I also keep some high caloric bars that taste like sawdust but are supposed to have a really long shelf life. I keep them in a bag in my truck. I’ve wondered how the heat affects them, but then I reminder th old MRE’s that were probably in some conex on West Ft. Hood in all kinds of heat and they were fine. Well I assume they were.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    MRE’s are a winning idea over canned food.... even the glorious SPAM. You just can’t get the same calorie count to weight ratio, IMO.
    I have some MRE’s in a climate controlled area. I’ll push past expiration date on those for sure. In Bosnia we got issued some old MRE’s that were expired. Quite a few cases in fact. We were not co-located with US Forces. But we ate them, aside from tactically relocating some rations and local cuisine, we ate em. Ate a lot of them and found the cheese is just as “plugging” expired as it is new. Crackers in some were crumbly but edible. I also keep some high caloric bars that taste like sawdust but are supposed to have a really long shelf life. I keep them in a bag in my truck. I’ve wondered how the heat affects them, but then I reminder th old MRE’s that were probably in some conex on West Ft. Hood in all kinds of heat and they were fine. Well I assume they were.
    I've probably eaten more expired MREs than not. Might not be as good but definitely good enough.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    That is absolutely one of the most ignorant statements I have ever read on M4C..... And that is saying a lot.

There are places all over the world that people don't give a shit about money but a knife will buy you anything you want. Cash is a great item to have along with other items.
    I remember you telling me once about food that couldn't be bought at any price.

Changed the way I think about things.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post

Were not talking about all over the world, we are talking about a BOB filled with stuff to see one survive after something happens that forces one out of their house or car in the US, at least that's how I read this BOB discussion. If society has collapsed to the point cash is of no value, then I doubt what's in that BOB is going to save you. Sure, you can trade your knife, my bad.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast