Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: what should i put in my bug-out-bag?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I won't answer for Doc, but I interpreted his comment as a person can survive after a monetary collapse. Humans have survived and thrived on this planet long before they invented currency and economics. So I'm in the school of thought that people can and will survive an economic collapse as they did after the Great Depression, Greek bank fallout, Argentina collapse, etc. Any and all gear will aid and help this process but it's the gray matter in between the ears that will win the day.
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 10-26-18 at 14:30. Reason: typo
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Don't forget about the canned meat that now come in pouches; tuna, salmon, Spam.

Light weight and highly portable, I like them as they are flat and pack well but don't have the shelf life of their canned counterparts. Just something else to keep your stores along with your MRE's, canned food, and dehydrated food.
    Not sure if it's just something local to me, but several of the big name canned chicken manufacturers made packets the size of the tuna and salmon which was perfect for 1 person for lunch. Bought them that way for years, then quit seeing them and for the last 10 years just jumbo packs while canned is offered in various sizes.

Was really good stuff to dump in with instant stuffing. Hot meal in 5 minutes for not much weight.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Debating starting a thread about a bob/work bag/travel bag type thing.... I travel for work. Probably more than most, and I've found it is challenging to pack in such a way that if things go sideways while I'm on site that I'll have a means to take care of myself and get back to Texas. If I drove to my sites that problem would be solved and I wouldn't even be writing this, but Delta is my ride to work. That just drives the complexity to a whole new level. Maybe I'll see if we have a thread like that - if not I'll make one and see what our brillian M4C minds have implemented, or have some good ideas.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Not sure if it's just something local to me, but several of the big name canned chicken manufacturers made packets the size of the tuna and salmon which was perfect for 1 person for lunch. Bought them that way for years, then quit seeing them and for the last 10 years just jumbo packs while canned is offered in various sizes.

Was really good stuff to dump in with instant stuffing. Hot meal in 5 minutes for not much weight.
    I'll have to look around online to see if anyone makes them, I've never seen any chicken packets like that in my area. Great idea though and thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Debating starting a thread about a bob/work bag/travel bag type thing.... I travel for work. Probably more than most, and I've found it is challenging to pack in such a way that if things go sideways while I'm on site that I'll have a means to take care of myself and get back to Texas. If I drove to my sites that problem would be solved and I wouldn't even be writing this, but Delta is my ride to work. That just drives the complexity to a whole new level. Maybe I'll see if we have a thread like that - if not I'll make one and see what our brillian M4C minds have implemented, or have some good ideas.
    Amigo I don't envy you guys who have to travel for a living, my FIL flies all over the place weekly.

This vid was posted in another thread in this particular sub-forum awhile back and it's chock full of nuggets of wisdom from dudes who travel for a living and put security at a premium. While not specifically about GHBs/BOBs they do go into things they travel with. The panel is made up guys with backgrounds in physical security, one active duty, one Fed LEO who works overseas, and a prior service member who now contracts for DoD, and a pro-gun rock-n-roller who tours internationally.

Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 10-26-18 at 19:23.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    I won't answer for Doc, but I interpreted his comment as a person can survive after a monetary collapse. Humans have survived and thrived on this planet long before they invented currency and economics. So I'm in the school of thought that people can and will survive an economic collapse as they did after the Great Depression, Greek bank fallout, Argentina collapse, etc. Any and all gear will aid and help this process but it's the gray matter in between the ears that will win the day.
    You understand
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    deleted
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 12-18-18 at 17:20.

Feedback Score
    I think people are blurring the lines between a straight survival situation and a BOB situation. In a hurricane, earthquake, etc., more than likely you'll be moving somewhere else after the event, so the supplies you'll need will be limited to a day or so hopefully. In that situation, all you need is a couple pairs of clothes, food/water for a couple days, cash, and a handgun. If you're trapped in your house or out in the woods for days/weeks, then you're out of the typical BOB situation.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, a BOB situation would be for a couple days, weeks at best. You're not living much longer than this on the contents of a bag and on the ammo you can carry on yourself unless you're Bear Grylls himself and happen to be by chance in a rural place with a good climate, lots of fruits and animals, not too much disease sources, and something important in a SHTF scenario, not too many refugees.
    This will,, unless you're extremely lucky, NOT happen.
    If you're aiming for a short-ish scenario, then your BOB is your best friend. Mine has lots of things, inside, but the most important are a small inflatable mattress (you can get a hammock instead if you're sure you have a place to hang it. You need to be insulated from the ground at night), a water filtrating straw, an E-tool, a good poind of medicine for most common diseases and small wounds, and a dynamo for electricity, which can be turned by hand or installed near a stream so that water makes it spin for you.

If you want to survive for months if not years, you don't need a BOB, you need to buy a big house or villa, something like this if we're talking about the US. Get family and friends to defend it and grow food, make sure you've got an engineer and a doctor in the lot, and bring reloading kit. But this has a little downside as it will literally cost millions and millions. The other downside is that other solutions are not ideal and will not guarantee your survival.

But hey, on the bright side, I don't see a catastrophic situation lasting for years, unless there's an ongoing war exactly where you're leaving (and then you should leave ASAP) or something like that, there will be some form of society that will emerge after not too long.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoUniform View Post
    I think people are blurring the lines between a straight survival situation and a BOB situation. In a hurricane, earthquake, etc., more than likely you'll be moving somewhere else after the event, so the supplies you'll need will be limited to a day or so hopefully. In that situation, all you need is a couple pairs of clothes, food/water for a couple days, cash, and a handgun. If you're trapped in your house or out in the woods for days/weeks, then you're out of the typical BOB situation.
    That is the context I was viewing the BOB and its contents. Maybe others mileage varies on that.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 11-15-18 at 12:29.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    A BOB/GHB/Oh shit bag/etc. are temporary provisions and not intended to sustain a person through a protracted event.

Not sure where wires were crossed but typically when such discussions arise folks begin talking about other things like long-term events, plans, et al.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast