Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what should i put in my bug-out-bag?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

what should i put in my bug-out-bag?

I've working on practicing my survival skills and am currently in the progress of making a bug-out-bag (B.O.B.) for stuff like natural disasters like a pandemic, earthquake, hurricane, etc. I put the regular stuff in it like a first aid kit, and canned food, radio, stuff like that but I don't really know what else to put in it and I'm asking for your help thanks! also note that I live on the coast, should I have stuff specifically for that?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If by “stuff like that”, you mean fire starter and water filtration, good. If not, definitely add those. Some 550 cord and Mylar blanket are a good idea too. I like the Sawyer mini for water filtration. It’s compact and filters 50,000 gallons.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    $10,000 cash!
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    $10,000 cash!
    Cash? Precious metals baby!

Feedback Score
    Countless B-O-B discussions, what to have/take ad nauseam; where are you going ? What catastrophic circumstance(s) have you envisioned? Wildfire? Volcano? Earthquake? Tsunami? Zombie apocalypse? The answer is ....it depends :-)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was surprised to see canned foods mentioned. They are taboo and a serious no-go in the hiking world. Much too heavy for what they offer; there are many vacuum packed alternatives.
    Last edited by Leuthas; 07-22-18 at 12:55.
    Nobody ever got shot climbing over the wall into East Berlin.

Delivering the most precision possible, at the greatest distance possible, with the highest rate of fire possible.

Feedback Score
    A Katrina guy leaving NO, said to take a dress suit and resume for when you have to move inland and find a new job. Along with all of the above suggestions. This assumes you drive out before it all falls apart.
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have watched a lot of BOB vids, but this is the first I have seen that gave a specific % of BW, which makes sense. Mine approx 18%, or 28lbs. My goal was under 30lbs, but I was not using a % of BW. His is a very lean approach to it, but he also has the training and experience to make the most of it. A good % of mine is water, and without that, probably closer to the lower end he recommends. Never hear of the Titon survivor cord. Tent stakes also makes sense!

- Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    $10,000 cash!
    A guy was bragging about his get away stash. Part of it was a big stack of 1 oz Gold Coins. I asked him how he expected to get change for a tank of gas or a slurpee and chips?
    I keep Gold "tenths" or "dimes" around for Hurricane money.
    Other options?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The scenarios you listed are fairly localized and relatively short term regarding pure survival. Katrina is the big one that we can look at in the US. A little water, food, and clothing appropriate for the weather will keep you alive. Beyond that, items that would help you A. leave the area, 2. secure shelter once a safe location is found, and D. continue living a somewhat normal life while displaced and/or facilitate returning home to do the same. A reliable vehicle, a good pair of boots & socks, and a good multitool are a good start for “bugging out”, past that, cash is king. $10k might be a bit much, but isn’t far off the mark. You should think about having enough for 1st/last/deposit on a place you could stand living in for a few months, a set of clothes appropriate for job interviews, fuel/bus pass and groceries for a month, and a bit extra for other incidentals. Copies (or originals/certified copies) of important documents that would be necessary to gain housing and employment like Social Security card/Passport/ID card, insurance policies for ease of starting the claims process for recovery/rebuilding/relocating expenses, etc. Those are solid items for any realistic bug-out scenario.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast