Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: what should i put in my bug-out-bag?

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SethB View Post
    I remember you telling me once about food that couldn't be bought at any price.

Changed the way I think about things.
    That is something that will happen. But in the initial stages money is usually a good item. Once that stage is meet where people no longer care about it the items in your bag become even more important.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hatidua View Post
    Ear plugs.

In 2004 I evacuated hurricane impact zones three times in Florida, usually going at least 400 miles to find available hotel rooms. In every single instance, the ear plugs I had in my first aid kit were of tremendous value as no matter how far away you are from the disaster area, motels/hotels are full of fighting adults, screaming children, and barking dogs that are upset to be away from home and often intoxicated.

Ear plugs.
    Always have some in my luggage since I am a light sleeper.

A near downside only happened once in a business trip where I recalled having a dream about an air horn. Next morning at breakfast co-workers asked me if I had made it all the way outside before the fire alarm got cancelled.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    MRE’s are a winning idea over canned food.... even the glorious SPAM. You just can’t get the same calorie count to weight ratio, IMO.
    I have some MRE’s in a climate controlled area. I’ll push past expiration date on those for sure. In Bosnia we got issued some old MRE’s that were expired. Quite a few cases in fact. We were not co-located with US Forces. But we ate them, aside from tactically relocating some rations and local cuisine, we ate em. Ate a lot of them and found the cheese is just as “plugging” expired as it is new. Crackers in some were crumbly but edible. I also keep some high caloric bars that taste like sawdust but are supposed to have a really long shelf life. I keep them in a bag in my truck. I’ve wondered how the heat affects them, but then I reminder th old MRE’s that were probably in some conex on West Ft. Hood in all kinds of heat and they were fine. Well I assume they were.
    I know we are talking about leaving out, that being said....

MRE's and backpacking food are great for mobility, but stocking them up beyond what someone can tote around....vehicle, foot, or however....without investing the dollars past that point in canned foods seems to be a bad idea since canned food is much cheaper and likely will last even longer. Some people are just home bound for whatever reason and a years supply of MRE's they can't move would work out to several years of canned food with the same transport issue for them.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 10-23-18 at 09:50.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    I know we are talking about leaving out, that being said....

MRE's and backpacking food are great for mobility, but stocking them up beyond what someone can tote around....vehicle, foot, or however....without investing the dollars past that point in canned foods seems to be a bad idea since canned food is much cheaper and likely will last even longer. Some people are just home bound for whatever reason and a years supply of MRE's they can't move would work out to several years of canned food with the same transport issue for them.
    Very true, depends on the purpose and MREs aren’t the best for long term prepping and storage. But, a bug out bag means that you’re leaving, as you acknowledged. Few things are better for mobile food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Don't forget about the canned meat that now come in pouches; tuna, salmon, Spam.

Light weight and highly portable, I like them as they are flat and pack well but don't have the shelf life of their canned counterparts. Just something else to keep your stores along with your MRE's, canned food, and dehydrated food.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    That is something that will happen. But in the initial stages money is usually a good item. Once that stage is meet where people no longer care about it the items in your bag become even more important.
    And that was my point, if things have literally degenerated to the point people in the US will not take cash for something, and you're now trading a knife for say food, most people are boned and what's in the basic BOB unlikely to save you. Most people, including me, do not have more than simple survival skills and experience, and their basic BOB contains essentials to get them through a rough few days to maybe a week, and then back to their homes or other arrangements. I'm sure some BTDT types with the skills and experience would survive well past that, but I'd posit few will last if it's down to trading stuff in your BOB to survive.

Being an SME and your lane, you'd likely fair much better than most no doubt.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The three biggest killers of humans who found themselves in non-human threat "survival" situations are hypothermia, hyperthermia, and dehydration. One can address all three of these with the contents they can keep in their oh shyte bags.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    And that was my point, if things have literally degenerated to the point people in the US will not take cash for something, and you're now trading a knife for say food, most people are boned and what's in the basic BOB unlikely to save you. Most people, including me, do not have more than simple survival skills and experience, and their basic BOB contains essentials to get them through a rough few days to maybe a week, and then back to their homes or other arrangements. I'm sure some BTDT types with the skills and experience would survive well past that, but I'd posit few will last if it's down to trading stuff in your BOB to survive.

Being an SME and your lane, you'd likely fair much better than most no doubt.

I agree- a BOB is short term only to get you to where you want to be. And your destination hopefully has supplies to last much longer.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    A Katrina guy leaving NO, said to take a dress suit and resume for when you have to move inland and find a new job. Along with all of the above suggestions. This assumes you drive out before it all falls apart.
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    I agree- a BOB is short term only to get you to where you want to be. And your destination hopefully has supplies to last much longer.
    I thought it made sense, but I was told that take on it "... absolutely one of the most ignorant statements I have ever read on M4C" by someone who knows considerably more than I do on the topic.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast