Thread: Your opinion? Ocw test

Feedback Score

Your opinion? Ocw test

I went and did an ocw with my new sionics upper. All with cfe, used nosler 77gr cc and Sierra 77gr match king. The nosler are beyond abysmal! But heres the results from the match king. 100 yards, bipod, rear bag, 2-10pst ii. 23.1-24.6grs. I was thinking 24-24.6 in there is where my node is. What I generally do is take in .1gr increments inside that node and ladder test at 450 yards. I'm just trying to get 1moa accuracy out of this. 24.3 is Hodgon book max.
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Try some IMR 8208

Feedback Score
    Did you only load/shoot 3 rounds per charge?

I'm not a statistician, but that seems really problematic...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    you got a chrono?

screw ladder testing.

I would work 24-24.5 or so in .1g increments, 5 shots each, shot over a chrono. Read the numbers. Screw OCW or Ladder beyond finding a basic node using OCW. Remove you as the shooter from the equation. OCW and ladder testing require you as the shooter to not screw up at all, lest your results are read wrong. Shooting over the chrono and looking for low ES and SD takes the human out of the equation.

Ive used my chrono to develop 2 precision loads now and my 6.5creed will bang a 6" gong at 900 yards fairly easily. My load is crazy consistent which is what you want.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Did you only load/shoot 3 rounds per charge?

I'm not a statistician, but that seems really problematic...
    Just looking for the node of where they are hitting the same spot. Ie three different charges all landing in close to the same spot in relation to poa. It's shot round Robin.

Feedback Score
    I still don't get it... If I were testing loads or even just shooting groups, I would shoot at least five. Three is statistically suspect — you're letting a lot of random chance into your "data."

FWIW, Molon shoots groups of ten...

And like RJacobs said: Use a chrono.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I still don't get it... If I were testing loads or even just shooting groups, I would shoot at least five. Three is statistically suspect — you're letting a lot of random chance into your "data."

FWIW, Molon shoots groups of ten...

And like RJacobs said: Use a chrono.
    Do you know how ocw test works? Its been proven to work. I have a Caldwell chrono and I trust that thing about as far as I can throw it. I true all my dope with live fire through applied ballistics.

And yes, when I get to the nitty gritty I will fire 10 round groups to verify. But right now I am just trying to find the powder weight node for said rifle. I'm not looking for .2moa, it needs to hold moa through a variety of weather, and with the acceptable reloading over a 650.

Feedback Score
    I'm guessing I will find what i'm looking for at 24.1-22.4.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Three shot groups are used in OCW testing because one or two groups will be noticeably smaller than them others. These indicate where your accuracy nodes might be found. Then you would proceed to shoot more rounds to dial in your load. Three shots are all you really need to get started on these nodes and you end up wasting less bullets in the beginning of the load development process.

And yes, a chronograph is invaluable