Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 224 Valkyrie SBR?

Feedback Score

224 Valkyrie SBR?

I’ve exhausted my googleFU and can’t find anything. I don’t really have any specific question other than has anyone tried it? What’s the shortest barrel to stabilize the round short range for excellent terminal ballistics, 8.5” - 12.5” and have a rifle that is accurate and effective out to 600 m or more? From what I can tell a 77 grain Sierra match King may already do the job well enough, I just haven’t seen the question asked or answered yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Larue was showing off an 11.5 suppressed upper receiver group chambered in 224 Valkyrie at the Big 3 East media event last October, right about the time that Federal started promoting the cartridge. The upper uses Larue's proprietary suppressor design and the barrel has a 4.5" suppressor mount permanently attached so that whole thing only requires a stamp for the can.

http://www.gunsandtech.com/photo-vid...kyrie-caliber/

https://www.larue.com/products/larue...ate-suurg-kit/

The SURG uppers are for sale on Larue's website, but to my knowledge they are not selling a 11.5 barrel Valkyrie barrel separately and they are only available on the uppers with the suppressor mount already attached. I think the Valkyrie will probably be a barrel burner, but I don't think the cartridge has been out long enough to tell for sure.

From what I can find the muzzle velocity for that Larue upper hasn't been published online anywhere. It might be worth giving them a shout if it's something you're really interested in. If they'll give you some real world data on what sort of speed they are getting from their short Valkyrie uppers you'll have a good idea of the kind of effective range you can expect.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In general, smaller bores do not SBR very well.

I think 6.5 grendel would be a better overall choice for what you described.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Make zero sense to me.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The two things you don't want in a cartridge intended for a short barrel are a small diameter, high sectional density projectile and lots of powder.

The V has tends to run heavier bullets and a little more powder than .223, so it will be a little more blasty than .223.

The 6.8SPC, 277WLV and 300BLK are much better suited for SBR use.
    Last edited by Clint; 07-30-18 at 16:47.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    In general, smaller bores do not SBR very well.

I think 6.5 grendel would be a better overall choice for what you described.
    I agree with this based on what I have seen. There was a guy on the other forum, I think he posts here as well that had very good results with a 12" Grendel build. LRRPF52 I think is the user name. Lots of good info with velocity data if you search for it

Feedback Score
    Thanks for those last two replies, I think my question was answered very well. I was more or less just curious and I hadn’t seen anybody do any testing or ask a question yet. It looks like from your answers there’s no need to do this testing as there are already excellent round suited for this purpose. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    All that extra powder means nothing if there isnt enough surface area to push the bullet or enough barrel length to fully utilize that powder.

You arent even seeing that much of gain with a 16" barrel in 224 Valk. more like a ~100 fps gain with a 75gr bullet vs 5.56. I'd imagine the velocity gain only gets worse the shorter you go.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    All that extra powder means nothing if there isnt enough surface area to push the bullet or enough barrel length to fully utilize that powder.

You arent even seeing that much of gain with a 16" barrel in 224 Valk. more like a ~100 fps gain with a 75gr bullet vs 5.56. I'd imagine the velocity gain only gets worse the shorter you go.
    agree

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    The two things you don't want in a cartridge intended for a short barrel are a small diameter, high sectional density projectile and lots of powder.
    So my 10.5" .22-250 project won't be ideal?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast