Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to get the spec torque w/o a torque wrench?

Feedback Score

Is it possible to get the spec torque w/o a torque wrench?

Is there a way to get the 16# for the scope rings and 20# for the base torque without actually using a torque wrench? I've seen rules of thumb(ie. tighten until tight and 1/4 more) but understand over tightening the rings can cause damage and issues to the tube. I just purchased a new Vortex Strike Eagle and rather than risk damage will purchase the wrench if need be. Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Order this one from Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-TRQ211.../dp/B01M12284X

I trust it more than the Wheeler Fat wrench and find it easier to use than the Borka Kit (I have all three). The calibration of Tekton compared to those of Proto, Matco, Snap-On, etc. is fine for your intended use (firearm). Out of the box most click type torque wrenches are within 5%, for example +/- 1in/lb when set to 20in/lbs. The more expensive brands are calibrated tighter and stay within their calibration longer but that level of accuracy is way overkill for general smithing' and is required more for the automotive industry. With use, all click type torque wrenches will lose their accuracy and require re-calibration. But for people using it intermittently in the firearms realm, they will hardly never see enough use in their lifetime to lose accuracy; especially if stored on its lowest setting.
    Last edited by sidewaysil80; 07-08-18 at 19:18.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Most auto parts stores will loan you tools for free if you buy a part. See if they'll loan you a torque screw driver if you buy a cheap oil filter you probably will need anyway?

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, so bottom line... use a tool. I'll look into both.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by desertk9 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, so bottom line... use a tool. I'll look into both.
    Most torque wrenches are the least accurate at the lower end of their range. I wouldn't buy a 10-150 inch/pound wrench for scope work.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Borka works great IMO. Yes, buy a tool or find someone who has one.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    The Vortex torque wrench isn’t cheap, and I wish it had more adjustment, but it’s a good tool. I have a Tekton 1/2” drive torque wrench that I’ve used in conjunction with my Magpul armorer’s wrench for castle nuts, and just ordered a EPAuto 1/4” drive for my Geissele since the Vortex maxes out at 50. It was $26 from amazon and has better reviews than the Tekton 1/4” wrench. Bottom line, even the most expensive one is cheap insurance for its purpose, especially since I have a bad habit of over tightening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I also have the Vortex torque wrench, and I would say that 100 dollars for a calibrated torque wrench is actually hilariously cheap. Good luck finding something equivalent from the big tool brands.

Feedback Score
    Thank you all for the great suggestions and advice. Glad I asked, knew you guys would come through with the right way to go.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    PM me if you need to borrow one. I have a Wheeler Fat Wrench or a 1/4" 20in/lbs-200in/lbs one you can borrow if you paypal for shipping/deposit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast