Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini Review - Mepro 21 Reflex Sight with triangle

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Mini Review - Mepro 21 Reflex Sight with triangle

Meprolight M21 Reflex Sight

A few years ago, I tried a Trijicon RX30 Reflex sight, as well as the previous version of the Mepro Reflex sight. Both suffered from indoor washout when not enough light hit the fiber optics... But, it wasn't quite dark enough for the tritium... This usually happened on white/light colored walls indoors. After trying both, I gave up on these and went back to the EOtech... There didn't seem to be a good battery free option in my price point at the time.

With my plan to buy a new rifle, though - I decided to look at my options again recently. I really wanted a battery free option... Something to grab and go, and not press any buttons... I had read that the latest incarnation of the Mepro 21 reflex sight: Revision M, was much better than it used to be. Apparently the washout factor has been cleared up a lot.

I got to shoot someone's Tavor recently - he had this on his new Tavor carbine. It worked nicely, but the Bullseye reticle version he had did make it a little harder for detailed long range shots. I decided that the triangle reticle would probably be better...

The triangle reticle version allows the user to put the triangle on the acquired target for CQC (close shots)... Then, use the point of the triangle for precise shooting. The triangle is also big enough to not have to "search" for it in the viewfield...

Someone else's photos with the triangle reticle:

I had an online friend who has several rifles all set up exactly the same way... He has the Mepro 21 on 5 rifles. It was actually thru reading his reviews online that I decided to give the Mepro 21 another chance - with this latest revision of the opic... He was even nice enough to ship me one of his and let me borrow it a few days so I wouldn't have to spend money if I didn't like it afterall ...

Well, I was impressed! It's not 100% washout proof - but it is much harder to lose the reticle indoors... Even when in a dark room looking outside on a sunny day - you can still barely see it... It's still there... Much, much better.. Also, you really have to go looking for ways to wash it out, as in real life, it probably wouldn't happen on its own...

I liked it enough to buy one myself. I thought about all 4 reticle choices - but ultimately went with the triangle reticle. Now, I've had it mounted to my new Steyr AUG for a few days now... And, I really, really like it.

It took a little while to get over missing that huge EOtech circle for CQC and indoor ranges. The Eotech is the only red dot type optic I have ever owned longterm (I've owned a few of them). But after playing with it a day, I quickly got used to the triangle. And, the more I handle it on the rifle, the more I like it.

I have kept my EOtech XPS in the back of my safe for any future rifle I may buy one day... But the day that happens, I could see myself selling the EOtech and buying another one of these.

I will go sight it in next Saturday - so, final judgement will be done then. But, I have yet to read an issue of one of these not holding their zero. I suspect it will work great.

I suggest that people looking for a battery free option take a look at the Mepro 21 Reflex sight. There are 4 different reticle versions. And, the quick detach levers that come with it are a nice touch. Quite often, one has to buy this type of mount separately. Finally - the optic is built like a tank. Very sturdy and it seems to be able to take bumps easily. The Mepro 21 is also the standard optic for the Israeli army. So, that says something about its durability. It's basically a big block of aluminum. The optic does weigh about 1 lb by itself (with the included mount)

If you buy one of these - be aware that the first 4 digits of the serial number is the year, and then month of manufacture. Anything from 2012 and more recent will automatically be "Revision M"

The Mepro on my rifle:

Last edited by ShipWreck; 05-29-13 at 09:11.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    "Even when in a dark room looking outside on a sunny day - you can still barely see it..."

This is perhaps a clue why this optic is not being readily accepted for SHTF applications. Struggling to see a barely visible reticle in a split second encounter is a no go.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    "Even when in a dark room looking outside on a sunny day - you can still barely see it..."

This is perhaps a clue why this optic is not being readily accepted for SHTF applications. Struggling to see a barely visible reticle in a split second encounter is a no go.
    IT honestly can depend on the window and some other factors. And, how far away you are from the window. Get closer to the window, and there is no problem.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, and this is why I didn't buy an RX30 after borrowing one... And, why I returned the Mepro reflex sight I bought almost 3 years ago.

But this one... You'd honestly have to try it yourself. But, it's leaps and bounds over my past two experiences. And, I am a picky guy on this washout issue. I decided it was good enough for what I wanted. It isn't 100%. But, I think that its close enough...

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    The sight on your rifle looks like the older one base on the FO window. GH

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    The sight on your rifle looks like the older one base on the FO window. GH

The one on the Steyr AUG is mine (the other photos are not of mine) - it's a Jan 2013 manufacture date - so, its not the previous version. It is "Revision M"

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Thumbs up

Nice review, thx! For a KISS optic it's hard to beat, IMHO (no batteries to go dead, no electronics to fail, no adjustments to make, no switches to break or go bad).
    Tomac
    "His Universe, His rules." - Tomac

Feedback Score
    Ship, Where can I get one of these, "Revision M's?" .. I've looked at the usual distributors, but they don't clarify what model they're selling. .. I have a Trijicon Reflex on one AR, and it meets my aging eye needs. .. I like the Trijicon, and their polarizing filter satisfies the wash out issue for me, but I'm seriously considering this Meprolight. .. Good "Mini Review," btw..
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do."
    Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Anything from 2012 and on will be "Revision M" - I looked at a few places originally, and even called a few vendors. None would go pull stock to tell me the first 4 digits of the serial # (the first 4 digits are the year and then month of manufacturer). But, I was told that what they had was new stock that had just arrived.

I got mine from Cal's Sporting Armory here: http://www.gunaccessories.us/Mako_Me..._p/makm21t.htm

Once you add it to the shopping cart, it drops from the MSRP to $433.74 (plus shipping). It shipped on the 2nd business day after the order.

That link is for the triangle version. I had contacted them via email and they claimed they only had new stock. Mine was a 2013 model.
    Last edited by ShipWreck; 06-02-13 at 21:23.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post

I got mine from Cal's Sporting Armory here: http://www.gunaccessories.us/Mako_Me..._p/makm21t.htm

Once you add it to the shopping cart, it drops from the MSRP to $433.74 (plus shipping). It shipped on the 2nd business day after the order.

That link is for the triangle version. I had contacted them via email and they claimed they only had new stock. Mine was a 2013 model.
    Thank you so much. .. That's about the price I was hoping to spend.
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do."
    Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No problem. Let me know how you like it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast