Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: reflects 90% body heat

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Everybody’s on the right track here regarding shelter and thermoregulation. It may not be comfortable, but the key is regulating body temperature and keeping it at survival levels. The reflective bivy works on the concept of establishing a microclimate wherein your body heat generates the heat necessary to heat the inside of that microclimate.

The candle concept does work, but poses a hazard and discomfort based on body positioning. Mylar by its nature is reflective of heat (radiation) but is not a breathable membrane so moisture collects easily and can therefore make it harder to heat that microclimate and pose hypothermic risk by freezing moisture.

I backpack regularly and shelter in a hammock with a silnylon tarp, underquilt and overquilt, which is obviously not a survival gear situation, but my cheap Costco poly quilts and small climate inside the tarp keep me toasty down to 25-30F.

My GHB bag has a Costco quilt and Mylar blanket, beanie cap and gloves for the winter. If I’m stuck outside during SHTF, I’m building a debris shelter and bundling up (with a fire if it doesn’t pose a threat) as it’s more efficient. Given I’ll probably be urban post-SHTF, I’m staying indoors if at all possible, even if it means stealth camping.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The key here is that if you have one of these in your kit, know different methods with which it can be useful. Figure out how it can be used and adapt to whatever situation you may be in. They are small and lightweight, so they are still a good tool to keep in your kit.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123