Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Army PT Test

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

New Army PT Test

Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I believe it's a trap bar dead, so much less form intensive at least.
    It is, hopefully to minimize injury. I don’t see this going anywhere, at least not until the full year long trial period is over. A lot of BNs already have a good amount of equipment so it really wouldn’t take that much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    All told, the ACFT predicts with 80 percent accuracy whether a soldier will be effective in combat, Frost said, compared with 40 percent for the APFT.

Cont:

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-..._medium=social
    I think the above quote is probably a true statement. If a unit has their logistics and command and control down good enough to complete this test in 50 minutes they’ve got their act together. David

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    I think the above quote is probably a true statement. If a unit has their logistics and command and control down good enough to complete this test in 50 minutes they’ve got their act together. David
    Its been a while but I recall the old 3 event PT test took 2-2.5 hrs to get a smaller sized company done and it required no eqipment or measuring. It was also retarded simple.

I know to civilians having this equipment on hand sounds like a simple concept and easily affordable, managable by any half assed cross fit operation.... up but it only belies a true misunderstanding about how things in the army really work. None of these thing will be findable when needed and certainly not in the quantities needed to do this in a timely organized fashion. This stuff will also have to available for regular morning PT and miraculously not go missing. If the equipment was kept in the hands of a higher power, say TASC (if such still exists, its were we got training aids etc. from) then you will sign for 1) old ammo can with 4)beat up stop watches,2) stop watch batteries 1) dollar store tape measure, 3)broken pencils and 2)rubber play ground balls, one dry rotted and the other with a dick drawn on it.

(*note, when YOU turn it in the dick has to be gone)

Id venture a guess that on any given week day morning at Ft. Bragg there were at least a dozen PT tests going on in division area. A PT test administrating staff would have to be nearly battalion sized on its own. A whole new level of POG will rise from the primordial ooze. They would have to go nuts just building more chin up bars. Our battalion area had two sets of 2 chin up bars... and not near each other. Talk about a bottle neck in the process.

Army fitness might be dated but isnt the problem, we kicked alot of ass before medicine balls. Americas recent crops of weak willed lazy kids and a lack of gruelling disciplinary push ups is.

Its not impossible, its just brimming with hang ups and I seriously doubt it will have much impact beyond its own cumbersome implementation. It will be the ACU of PT tests, with glowing OERs soon to follow.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sgtrock82; 07-10-18 at 17:42.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtrock82 View Post
    Army fitness might be dated but isnt the problem, we kicked alot of ass before medicine balls. Americas recent crops of weak willed lazy kids and a lack of gruelling disciplinary push ups is.
    Bwaha ha ha. Truth bomb bitches!
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Here's an excellent article by one of the best strength coaches in the game - Stew Smith- via Military.com on related topic:

PT Tests Evolve Into Functional Combat Fitness Training

Maybe it is 15 years of war or understanding the physiology and occupational health of the military athlete better over the past decade, but training the tactical athlete has evolved significantly. Big changes in the military do not happen overnight—especially with a PT program that is 30-40 years old. Think of the Department of Defense like an elephant. You may be able to clip its toenails, but getting it to change direction requires a little more time and effort.

The transition from the standard health and fitness test the military has used for decades have slowly evolved with minor changes in standards, form of exercises tested, and testing out new exercises for men and women. Even these standard changes take time to implement. Creating a completely different combat fitness related (functional) test with new exercises and training goals is progressing nicely in many of our branches of service. Some will argue—not fast enough; but patience and testing seems to be winning out in the favor and new and creative thinking with fitness testing.

Cont:

https://www.military.com/military-fi...tness-training
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Great. All the salty guys are now going to have even MORE events to aggravate their injuries...

I severely damaged my left labrum a few years ago. I can push just fine, but have no desire to do stop-and-go push-ups, fling things backwards, or hang off of stuff unless needed. I do train to same muscle groups with an emphasis on taking care of previously injured areas, but wonder if we didn't just trade the sit-ups for a whole bunch of other problems. (FWIW, I usually attain 100pts/100pts/80pts on the APFT events)

I know things have to be measurable, but I was hoping for the Army to pick a more individualized approach. I feel like this will just turn into another form of training for a test vs training for fitness.
    Last edited by opngrnd; 07-10-18 at 20:08.

Feedback Score
    There used to be a five event PT test before my time.

I entered during the 3 event PT test.
    Shortly after, they made it much harder for a young guy like I was then to max it.
    Then as I got older, the next update was to make it easier for a young guy to pass it but harder for an older guy to do well on it.

All three versions had ridiculously easy run times for women compared to men.

For my last ten years or so in, if I had been king for a day, I would have made a one event PT test.

Put on a 40 pound ruck. Go four miles. If it took over an hour you failed. If you did it in under an hour you passed. Under 40 minutes you were a stud. Under 32 minutes you were a super stud.

The emotional investment to a two mile run exhibiting prowess is fuktarded. It is not a pure speed or explosive strength measure. It is not an endurance measure. It measures nothing about moving in combat equipment. Having two different standards with wildy different standards was even more fuktarded.

There would be two additional events that qualified you to any MOS or position that qualified you for combat arms, leaving the wire, etc.

Climb a 20 for rope. Arms only or using feet, whatever. Just climb it. Regardless of size or strength this exhibits the ability to climb out of a rolled over Pandur, Stryker, aircraft, etc. The ability to climb a ladder and get on a roof, climb over a wall, etc.

Pick up or drag a 180# mannequin 100m in under a minute.

Period. Done deal.

I have seen 130 pounders crush monsters in pushups, same with in real world events despite their ten minute two miler ranking them likes gods in comparison to the monster’s 12 minute or 14 minute two miler.

I have seen an endless parade of women that max their PT test, run triathlons, and “be really good at CrossFit” with monk like fitness dedicated lifestyles who are in the top percentiles of their age and size struggle to hang with totally average guys their age and size that dip, smoke, binge drink on the weekend, and eat like trailer trash, and struggle worse and worse as the days go on.

What is so hard about blocking off a four mile route, putting a scale at the start, having a stop watch, showing up in a uniform with a ruck, and scheduling an hour for a one event test?
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    This will die in its infancy.

Too complex to implement at the company level to a bunch of young soldiers in anything resembling a timely manner.

Also too equipment intensive.

Also too technique intensive, particularly the deadlift. Not hard to do safely with some coaching of individual form, but we all know that isn’t going to happen. So injuries will pile up as young dudes who’ve never pulled before try to jerk 300+lbs off the deck with a rounded back.

Technique intensive was my first thought concerning the deadlift.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    There used to be a five event PT test before my time.

I entered during the 3 event PT test.
    Shortly after, they made it much harder for a young guy like I was then to max it.
    Then as I got older, the next update was to make it easier for a young guy to pass it but harder for an older guy to do well on it.

All three versions had ridiculously easy run times for women compared to men.

For my last ten years or so in, if I had been king for a day, I would have made a one event PT test.

Put on a 40 pound ruck. Go four miles. If it took over an hour you failed. If you did it in under an hour you passed. Under 40 minutes you were a stud. Under 32 minutes you were a super stud.

The emotional investment to a two mile run exhibiting prowess is fuktarded. It is not a pure speed or explosive strength measure. It is not an endurance measure. It measures nothing about moving in combat equipment. Having two different standards with wildy different standards was even more fuktarded.

There would be two additional events that qualified you to any MOS or position that qualified you for combat arms, leaving the wire, etc.

Climb a 20 for rope. Arms only or using feet, whatever. Just climb it. Regardless of size or strength this exhibits the ability to climb out of a rolled over Pandur, Stryker, aircraft, etc. The ability to climb a ladder and get on a roof, climb over a wall, etc.

Pick up or drag a 180# mannequin 100m in under a minute.

Period. Done deal.

I have seen 130 pounders crush monsters in pushups, same with in real world events despite their ten minute two miler ranking them likes gods in comparison to the monster’s 12 minute or 14 minute two miler.

I have seen an endless parade of women that max their PT test, run triathlons, and “be really good at CrossFit” with monk like fitness dedicated lifestyles who are in the top percentiles of their age and size struggle to hang with totally average guys their age and size that dip, smoke, binge drink on the weekend, and eat like trailer trash, and struggle worse and worse as the days go on.

What is so hard about blocking off a four mile route, putting a scale at the start, having a stop watch, showing up in a uniform with a ruck, and scheduling an hour for a one event test?
    Is there even a point to the scale anymore if a person can climb the rope and then pass the ruck?

Feedback Score
    The only point of the scale is to make sure the ruck is not too light.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast