Thread: RMR on PPQ ...... Suggestiions on Adapting To It

Feedback Score

RMR on PPQ ...... Suggestiions on Adapting To It

Long story short , old and bad eyes for close vision , so I put a Trijicon RMR , 3 moa on my PPQ . Had BUIS also installed . I understood from the beginning that there would be a learning curve , just didn`t figure it would be this frustrating . Acquiring the dot from low ready or from concealed carry draw is no problem, but I can`t break the habit of trying to focus on the dot instead of the target .... especially annoying as I then try to stop the dot from moving which makes me slower on the first shot and then screws everything else up . So far , I have about 200 rounds with the RMR , which is probably nowhere enough time with it yet .

Any suggestions on adapting to this RMR ? I can shoot much better groups with the "traditional" sights than I can with the RMR ... but am much faster on the falling plate rack with the RMR . Really frustrated myself yesterday when I took a new CZ P01 for break in and shot better with it ( except for the plate rack ) than I did with my PPQ with the RMR . Wondering if taking the BUIS off the gun and relying solely on the RMR would be of any benefit.

Anyone else have this problem adapting or am I just weird ?

Feedback Score
    No, but i also spent about 10-12 hrs of dry fire and practicing drawing and bringing the gun up from low ready.

I would suggest you get a few hours of dry practice under your belt, then go test it on a timer, then come back with questions.

If you already spent hours of practice, let us know, cause that changes things. Honestly, 200rds is about 30min-45min of solid, dedicated practice. Trying to go from irons to rmr is wasting ammo until you get dry runs in, IMO.

Feedback Score
    I dont run RMR but i usually see guys going with bigger than 3moa on the dot size. Could that be a factor?

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. Before going to the range , I spent roughly a week doing dry fire exercises pretty much every evening when things were quiet . Seemed to go fairly well once I started analyzing what I was doing and didn`t just pull the trigger . FWIW , every time I try a new set of sights ( iron ) , I do dry fire fist before burning through ammo .
    I should have explained more , but it was late last night when I made the post. There have been two range sessions several days apart . I did this to try and digest what I was doing, wrong or right . First range session was to zero the sight from a bench rest and then 75 rounds no rest . That actually went much better than the second session .
    I also tried a friends gun with a 6 moa dot before getting the 3 moa and the jury is still out on that ..... I went with the 3 moa because of an astigmatism in my right eye , it doesn`t bloom as much .
    Second session was where everything fell apart . I`m not one of those guys who just blast away , I spent several hours going through just over 100 rounds and dry firing also trying to figure out what I was doing . Alos , I`m fairly familiar with the gun as I have about 3000 rounds through it and more than that doing dry fire . Just frustrated and it`s probably something simple once I figure it all out .

Feedback Score
    Ok, that makes sense. I dont think the dot size will make a difference, as long as brightess is correct. I run my rmr06 on auto.

I would start by shooting some groups and drills and getting used to staying focused on the target.
    Also, learn to accept the wobble. As long as its wobblong in the azone, or 10-ring, even if its all over the ten ring, trust youll make the hit(assuming good trigger control).

I imagine you did better on the plate rack because you werent over-analyzing the dot, you were trying to push theough- which is what you need to do.

Based on your update, id keep up with dry fire and get some more live fire days in before getting too upset. You could have just had an off day as well.

Feedback Score
    MegademIC , "Really frustrated myself yesterday when I took a new CZ P01 for break in and shot better with it ( except for the plate rack ) than I did with my PPQ with the RMR ." The more I think about it , you`ve hit the nail on the head on that as I was going from plate to plate fairly quickly ( 6 plates total ) and really wasn`t trying to get that " perfect " sight picture each time .
    Now to transition that to the rest of my practice .... thanks for the helping me see that .