View Poll Results: What BUIS type do you use with your slide-mounted RDS?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Three-dot tritium (such as Trijicon)

3 33.33%
  • Plain black front and rear (such as Ameriglo)

3 33.33%
  • Tritium/hi-vis front sight, plain rear

1 11.11%
  • Other/none.

0 0%
  • I do not use slide-mounted red dots.

2 22.22%

Thread: ¿What BUIS type do you use with your pistol RDS?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)

¿What BUIS type do you use with your pistol RDS?

Was wondering what people who have RMRs or Deltapoint Pros on their pistols are running for iron sights - and why.

The, "Instagram militia," seems to favor the Trijicon suppressor sights (three-dot tritium sights). I don't know if that's because they're expensive or because people genuinely see some benefit to having them on their pistols.

ATEi, on the other hand, official modifier of the Roland Special, goes with Ameriglo's black serrated front sight with plain black rear. And I don't know if that's because they're the least expensive option or because it doesn't generate a cluttered sight picture (something I recall reading waaay back when Gabe Suarez was almost the sole proponent of RMRs on pistols).

So if you're running a red dot on your pistol's slide... what BUIS are you using? And why?

Thanks!
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Black rear for less visual clutter, black front on gaming guns for less cost, dont even need it, tritium front on social use guns, brand indifferent.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have had three different setups. All black, fiber optic front/black rear and three dot night sights. The all black are the hardest to see and not recommended at all. I hate three dot sights, but I can see them in pretty well and it gives a decent reference point. By far the fiber optic front is my favorite. I went with a green fiber so I could easily tell i apart from my red dot. It makes it the easiest to shoot for me by far.
    Lack of Lubrication -- a lot of folks who learned on bolt guns don't understand that gas guns like women run better wet.
    -KevinB

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Gen 5 34 with Venom and Ameriglo plain black, extra tall, think it's the .507 model to clear the optic.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    I have standard glock night sights on mine- clean sight picture, but still usable up close with practice.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I probably grossly overthought this.

So I started this year by putting together a Roland Special. For that I did a set of Ameriglo sights with a tritium front, green outline, with a plain black rear. Since I usually go with high-visbility front sights and plain rears, I figured I'd try something similar. (In retrospect, it turns out I was having issues aligning the front and the rear in the dark well enough to pick up the dot with my glasses off.)

Then I got laid off and decided to sell the Roland Special to help keep myself afloat while I decided what I was going to do.

Now that I've been back at work for two months (doing the same thing for someone else for about the same money, but working more hours to get that money), I had decided to put together another red dot'd Glock, this time sans the comp. But I couldn't determine what I wanted to do for sights and went back and forth between the Ameriglo sights I had used before, the Ameriglo all-black sights, and the Trijicon tritium sights. I ended up ordering both the three-dot Trijicons (with white outline front, black outline rear) and the Ameriglo all-black sights... because I had initially ordered the Trijicons and changed my mind and tried to cancel the Trijicons, but it was too late by then, so I ended up with both (and the Ameriglos were only ~$50 delivered).

Installed the black-on-black Ameriglo sights. Got the draw and presentation down pretty well in daylight. Having since discovered that my previous belief that I couldn't pick up the red dot without my glasses on was erroneous, I decided to do some draws and presentations in a window-less basement room of my house (which I have just done today).

Result? Pretty consistent on the dot with both hands, but not very consistent with one-hand (whether strong or support) (with little difference between presentations with and without glasses one). Use of a hand-held light improved the consistency, but the room was bright enough I would probably be able to positively identify a threat without the use of a hand-held light, the light might not be a pre-requisite to employing lethal force in similar lighting conditions - while still being dark enough that I could not pick up on my blacked-out iron sights.

So I decided to swap out the blacked-out Ameriglos for the Trijicons. And taking the gun back down to the basement, I had an immediate improvement in my ability to pick up the dot (as - I think - my subconscious brain aligned the tritium during the pistol's presentation) in both strong- and weak-hand-only presentations. The white outline for the front sight also seems to help with my presentation in brighter light, too.

I do wish that the Trijicon sights were a little bit shorter (like the Ameriglos), as I prefer the irons to be in about a lower-1/3 cowitness, while the Trijicon sights seem to be more of a lower-3/8 cowitness.

Still, I do not find the Trijicon sights to be bright enough to cause issues with picking up the dot and I do not find the sight picture to be too busy in either daylight or darkness. So that's where I have ended up, for now (I may replace the rear sight with one that has blacked out yellow or orange lamps - or maybe use a red Sharpie to dim the rear lamps somewhat, hopefully not so much that it makes them unusable).
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 07-12-18 at 17:33.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -