Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firing an AR Inside With No Hearing Protection

Feedback Score

Firing an AR Inside With No Hearing Protection

How bad is it?

Let's say you bounce out of bed in response to a disturbance in your home. You grab your AR and confront someone and actually fire.

What happens to your ears?

What happens if you have a muzzle break?

Just firing mine with a muzzle break outside without hearing protection was bad enough. Has anyone ever fired inside without hearing protection?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It's going to be bad. But I run an 11.5 unsuppressed for HD. I'll save my life and have ears ringing for a day any time. If it comes to the point where I have to fire an M4 in my house, a little ear ringing is WAY down on the priority list.

I fired my suppressed AR in an abandoned mobile home once. And that was like shooting a 9mm with no ears on out in the open.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It is bad. I have shot a lot indoors and with hearing protection unsuppressed will rattle your teeth. That being said I would not hesitate to do it to save my and my family's lives.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    This is where, with the right ammo, the subsonic 300blk with a can shines.

I’m more concerned about my family being unable to communicate with me and each other after the first round goes off.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Its not going to be as bad as the intruder killing you. In the moment with the adrenalin you will work through it.

With a muzzle brake it will like a flash bang. With a flash hider it will just be a bang and concussion. Shooting a rifle inside is seriously no joke, you feel it.

You hearing may be diminished but you won't be deaf long term, in the moment maybe. keep in mind others like kids and a wife in the house, rooms away with open doors it will be very loud for them too, they will also get hearing damage.

Personally for hearing reasons heavy 9mm ammo is the best for indoors HD. Longer the barrel the better. Obviously for dropping some one fast 5.56 is ideal, but there are other tactical considerations. Lets say you have a wife and kid, you've dropped the intruder. You don't know if there are more but you want to evacuate your family. Communication is going to be key here as you gather, extract and cover your family. I'd rather do it after clapping of some 9mm, not a 5.56. Personally I have a Glock 34 with a surefire x300 and 147gr. GD ammo, good HD ammo is also low flash.

Silencers are ideal, but not available in all states.

ETA: I have never shot a rifle inside with out ear pro. I have shot inside, and inside cars with a rifle and ear pro plenty though. I have shot a 9mm inside with not earpro, it was 'stunningly' loud and certainly left your ears badly ringing. I still had decent hearing after though, despite the ringing. Outside of saving my life I would not ever want to shoot a rifle inside without ear pro.
    Last edited by TMS951; 07-12-18 at 11:37.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    a house with carpet, beds, furniture and sheetrock walls will help reduce the sound shockwave to some degree. I accidently discharged my M4 in my room, it wasn't that bad but it did scare me.

I shot a suppressed M4 in an empty warehouse, it sounded like a top fuel dragster.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    Its not going to be as bad as the intruder killing you. In the moment with the adrenalin you will work through it.
    This is a much better written summary of my philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    I shot a suppressed M4 in an empty warehouse, it sounded like a top fuel dragster.
    That sonic crack captured by walls is pretty loud.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It's terrible. Even suppressed.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    It's so bad.

Worth it if you save your own life though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sucks big time and only takes once to cause damage. But if in a "real" situation, you're not even aware of it til it's over. At least that's my experience. I have severe Tinnitus which may / may not have been caused by firearms. Had it forever. Last year a deputy buddy of mine woke up with it, still has it, and drives him crazy.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast