Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Firing an AR Inside With No Hearing Protection

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Well stated Stick! Train and deal with the threat accordingly. Your goal is to keep you and your family safe Hearing loss can be fixed, extra holes in your body are bad.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    It is very real, but the more you grow used to the high stress events, the less it occurs. The same goes for tunnel vision, which is certainly a more well known outcome of high stress levels. In addition, persons involved in high stress events may find time slows down, in some cases both involved parties appear to move slowly, in other cases your body is processing the information so quickly that you are moving at regular speed while the bad guy appears to be moving slowly. Loss of fine motor skills is another well known one, and highly increased visual acuity over comes into play (victim notices everything about a bad guys weapon etc). Variable amnesia is not uncommon either, with events revealing themselves some times moments later, sometimes days later, and sometimes never.

One of the important things to remember is that high stress levels hit us physically in different ways. A guy involved in a lot of shootings may be cool as a cucumber and not experience much if any of the above. However, an IED blowing limbs off a child that looks like his back home may put that same guy into overload.

As good trainers it is important we inoculate our students with high stress events, and equally important we do it in ways tailored to the individual. I teach a class on this stuff and find it exceedingly important. All to often these classes are taught by departmental buffoons or NCOs who are just filling a slot to get out of regular duties. Teaching the classes should be based on understanding of the subject matter, and the ability to impart it to others.

Sorry the above is so short, but to go into any form of legitimate detail would fill a huge amount of space that most people wouldn't read.
    Great post.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not a rifle of course, but I once had a ND with my G19 and 124 +P gold Dot. My ears rang for about 5 minutes and went back to normal. The sliding glass door took more than a few minutes before it was back to normal, but at least nobody was physically harmed.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    If discharging a firearm indoors is an issue and you are concerned about the sound, I would invest in a sword or other medieval weapon. Yes, it's loud and it will possibly suck, but as someone has mentioned auditory exclusion is real and will most likely affect different people in different ways.

At the end of the day one can hope should they need to use their weapon that they will be able to do so and that they prevail.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned keeping your mouth open when shooting indoors. Maybe it is a wivestale, but it seems to help me a little with the concussion and noise.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ranger86; 07-12-18 at 18:11.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Also, in case someone isn't familiar with the term 'auditory exclusion' as has been used in this thread, auditory exclusion in no way negates the relationship of the overpressure (loud noise) to hearing loss, it merely refers to sensory perception.

Get enough, in one dose, or over time, and you will have hearing loss.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    If discharging a firearm indoors is an issue and you are concerned about the sound, I would invest in a sword or other medieval weapon.
    Excellent group buy idea.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Also, in case someone isn't familiar with the term 'auditory exclusion' as has been used in this thread, auditory exclusion in no way negates the relationship of the overpressure (loud noise) to hearing loss, it merely refers to sensory perception.
    Fair enough. But if you shoot it out that often in your home, hearing loss is still a lower priority consideration in your overall life.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    How bad is it?

Let's say you bounce out of bed in response to a disturbance in your home. You grab your AR and confront someone and actually fire.

What happens to your ears?

What happens if you have a muzzle break?

Just firing mine with a muzzle break outside without hearing protection was bad enough. Has anyone ever fired inside without hearing protection?
    There’s only one way to find out....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Excellent group buy idea.
    Still got my NCO sword, and I sharpened that beyotch.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast