Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Firing an AR Inside With No Hearing Protection

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Shot a pistol inside my house in about a 12'x12' space. I can hear out of my left ear and it doesn't bother me usually unless someone has a very loud sub and car audio setup they crank. It hurts pretty bad at that point. Right ear is fine.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    Where does an 18" 12 gauge fit in all of this?

john
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    In the back of the safe, waiting to be fitted with a longer barrel for bird hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yep. If the birds rise up and attack, I'll dig out the bird gun from the back of the safe I almost never open.
    I have to relearn this occasionally. Don't get me wrong, I can be a one man destroyer of worlds with a defensive shotgun....for 8 shots.

Shot my first "tactical" shotgun match in about 3 years a few weeks back. Halfway through the first stage I found myself thinking "This is dumb, I want a carbine"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    Shot my first "tactical" shotgun match in about 3 years a few weeks back. Halfway through the first stage I found myself thinking "This is dumb, I want a carbine"
    Yep. So inefficient... Low Cap, High recoil, etc. If you have a one shot defensive scenario... SURE.. a bird gun could be fine. But why not use the right tool for the job?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yep. So inefficient... Low Cap, High recoil, etc. If you have a one shot defensive scenario... SURE.. a bird gun could be fine. But why not use the right tool for the job?
    I don't like shooting a shotgun either. I have an old eight shot Mossberg 500 with 20" barrel that I've upgraded some over the years, but almost never shoot. I keep thinking about selling it but can't bring myself to do it. I don't know why but I feel like I should have a shotgun for some reason even though I never use it or train with it.
    Last edited by SteveL; 07-14-18 at 19:17.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    That's all shotguns are good for. I can't stand them. Other than shooting birds, which I don't do, I can see no reason to EVER pick up a shotgun, if their is anything else. I would use me ruger 22/45 Mk3 for protection before a shotgun.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Shotguns have their issues... But there is no way I would pass a 12 gauge loaded with a good defensive load for a 22. Ive seen multiple people shot with both. Ive never seen anyone shot with a 12 gauge (outside of birdshot) load that was not anything less than impressive when it came to terminal ballistics. Hell Ive even seen the heavier birdshot loads prove to be very effective. The 22 on the other hand has shown to be wildly inconsistent when it come to terminal ballistics. The last 22 shooting I had, the victim was shot in the shin at a range of approximately 5 yards. The bullet completely came apart on his shin and didn't even fracture the tibia. The only reason that guy didn't leave the ER with a bandaid was several of the bullet fragments deflected down into his ankle and needed to be surgically removed.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm sure it's very loud.

I'd rather a 9mm if I had a choice.

Since I do have a choice the 9mm is my go to house gun.

If I had no option but to fire - at least I wont be deaf for the rest of my life.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I hope you are trolling. A 12 ga. loaded up with good ammo is still more effective that a .22 caliber pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    That's all shotguns are good for. I can't stand them. Other than shooting birds, which I don't do, I can see no reason to EVER pick up a shotgun, if their is anything else. I would use me ruger 22/45 Mk3 for protection before a shotgun.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Anyone who intentionally shoots guns without ear pro, especially multiple rounds worth, is an absolute buffoon. You incur hearing damage from single shot you fire. It is cumulative over time and the damage is irreversible. You only get one set of ears.

If I thought a home invasion were a realistic concern, I would keep a set of amplifying ear muffs (Comtacs or Sordins, etc) next to my bed along with my pistol. If I were a real keyboard commando, I'd sleep with ear pro on so I'm always prepared to "get frosty" (I think that's what they say on Instagram).

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I'd generally rather use a shotgun in a static defensive use than a handgun. Given a quality shotgun with good ammunition, outside of some very improbable situations, I'd feel very comfortable using the shotgun instead of a rifle (and generally more comfortable using the shotgun than a handgun). But I think I'd reach for my M1 Garand before I'd reach for a shotgun.

The real question (IMO) here is: Would you rather have a PCC or a shotgun?
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Shotguns are nothing but reloadable muskets. They are relics in my opinion and I would never use one for home defense.

1. Recoil

2. Low capacity

3. Ammo is large and cumbersome. It takes longer to reload and because the ammo is so large, you can only carry so much of it.

4. Inaccurate. You never know where those pellets are going to go. While you can pattern it, there is always a chance of a flyer. Imagine you called in sick from work and are taking a nap or watching TV in your bedroom. For whatever reason, someone who knows your schedule kicks in the door to get at your wife thinking you aren't home.You respond and the perp is in your kitchen right next to wife. He's cornered when you show up. Would you chance the shot? I know I wouldn't but would with a rifle or PCC.

5. Really short effective range. Past 20 or so yards, the chance of getting a hit decreases. The perp could have started in the house and now in the backyard behind some cover. If a shootout happens for whatever reason, you'd be outgunned with your shotgun in terms of effective range accuracy. Add the low capacity to that risk as well if there turns out to be multiple perps.

Other than good terminal ballistics in one shot on a chest, I see nothing that it does better than a PCC or rifle. 1 to 3 shots at the same chest will stop the perp just as dead as any buckshot load. Dead is dead. There are more disadvantages than advantages for using a shotgun for home defense. It's a niche close in weapon for defense or a longer range weapon for hunting birds. Nothing more.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast