Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Elbow Pain?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for those articles, the are very helpful.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Massage and working the hammer really helped.
    Now I'm looking to replace bar bell curls with something that hurts my joints a little less. Dumbbell curls seem much less painful.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Ah - the trusty hammer
    I used to do bar bell curls with a curl bar (couldn't ever do them with a straight bar - hurt my elbows too much) but switched over to dumbbells exclusively years ago. I found that sometimes when my elbow would hurt, I could still do hammer curls (for golfer's elbow, not tennis elbow), so it wasn't a total loss.

As I mentioned before, there are just some things I had to accept that I couldn't do anymore (certain weight training exercises or climbing moves), that I used to do when I was younger. I'm trying to maintain a decent level of fitness, and a big part of that at my age is trying to avoid injury. So that may mean not pushing as hard as I did when I was younger.

For example, I'm relatively strong climbing crimpy (small) holds, but some of the things folks do like this guy just amaze me. Finger tendon pulley injuries are very common among climbers, and it blows my mind to imagine what kind of stress he's putting on his fingers. I mean - one finger pullups with his pinky finger? Insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtO3C-Jh0rI

Feedback Score
    A few years back I had an absolutely awful case of golfers elbow, tennis elbow, and triceps tendinitis in the both elbows to the point where I could not even carry a basket at the grocery store in my right hand (left arm was not as bad). The key to fixing tendinitis is eccentric exercise and for golfers/tennis elbow there is no better way than using a theraband flexbar. It’s cheap, it’s easy, and it will actually heal your tendinitis and not just cover up the symptoms like pretty much any other treatment you will see.

Below is a video that shows how to use it for tennis elbow, for golfers elbow it is a similar movement and if you look at the guys channel from the video I posted you can find his golfers elbow one too. Do three sets of each every single day for 15-21 reps per set and avoid any movements that aggravate your tendinitis. Once you start to see relief you can slowly reintroduce those movements making sure you are not reaggtavating things. Continue to do the flexbar exercises everyday even after it starts feeling better and eventually you can ween yourself off of them. Tendinitis is a real bear to recover from but this is absolutely the best and most successful way and it is backed up by actual studies (google tendinitis and eccentrics if you want to read more). In the meantime, instead of exercises that would aggravate it, try substitutions with a neutral grip. For example, instead of chin ups with your palm facing you, do them with a neutral grip of your palm facing in. Hammer curls instead of traditional curls is another example. The key is to let your tendons heal so do the exercises and stop doing things that hurt.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=we4UoiKG3Co

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I lift consistently 4x weekly. I have severe tennis elbow, which actually hinders my shooting abilities. I have found that EZ Bar Curls helps, that hammer curls are an absolute no go, and to ensure that my wrists are straight on any barbell work. Try strengthening the muscles in your arm to take some weight off the affected areas:

Jeff explains how to do that in this video:
    Last edited by LowSpeed_HighDrag; 07-19-18 at 12:06.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have the same thing. I'm being told that it's from curling too much weight. My bicep can curl it, but my forearm/wrist can't and has to compensate. I did notice that doing hammer curls prevents this pain.

I went down to low weight high rep workouts for a few weeks to see if it will help.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    I know what pain is from my own experience. I'm pretty suspicious about medications, so I had to look for the alternative ways of treatment. As medical cannabis is legal, I decided to try it. I should say, CBD works great for me. Has anyone else tried it?
    Last edited by Gregory234; 05-04-20 at 11:17.

Feedback Score
    I suffered from tennis elbow that would not respond to any therapy. I went to Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, PA and had dry needling performed by Dr. Lev Nazarian.

This was probably 10 years ago. At the time, he was one of the few doctors who performed it. He was a Professor of Medicine at the school. I believe that it is more common now.

My tennis elbow went away within 2 weeks with rest, after having had it for over 9 months.

I had my tennis elbow treated after having had similar success a few years prior with plantar fasciitis that had resisted all other treatment for over 14 months, and I decided to try dry needling before having surgery performed and dealing with all the downsides of that, such as risk of a poor outcome, a cast for 6 weeks, etc. With the PF treatment, I was walking normally without pain in a week and back to walking 5 miles + a day in a month.

Dry needling was covered by my insurance as it was only charged as an ultrasound. The doctor numbed the areas he treated with a nerve block, then using ultrasound for guidance, passed a needle repeatedly through the affected areas.

In both cases, I had pain on both sides, but treating only one side resolved the issue on both feet, then on both elbows.

If I had the problems again, I would not hesitate to seek the same treatment from whoever offers it. It is a very simple procedure.

I have no financial interest in TJU or Dr. Nazarian. I list the names only to aid anyone else who might want to seek out treatment. I don't even know if he is still at TJU or in practice. It has been quite some time since I had the procedure done.
    Last edited by CrashAxe; 05-02-20 at 17:02.

Feedback Score
    I caught a 9mm Ranger SXT to the right elbow about 11 years ago (well, it will be on November 28) and it shattered my entire distal humerus and detached my tricep muscle from the bone as well. Have over a dozen screws and two plates in there now. Great fun, A++, highly recommend the experience.

As you would probably expect, over the years I’ve had elbow pain. Usually I’ve found that stretching my forearm, light massage, and a compression sleeve help with any pain I have, but if those don’t work and ibuprofen doesn’t make it go away, it’s simply time to take it easy for a while.

I’ve had to make adaptations on certain lifts I don’t like to make (like on squats, I’m basically pushing the collars rather than holding the bar - but my arm won’t go much closer and it hurts and throws me off with extra weight, so it feels pretty unsafe), but for the most part I can do just about anything I could do before that happened too.
    “Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does.” - William James

"I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion."

Feedback Score
    Ive been dealing with tennis elbow for the last 2 months. I get it every so often.
    It just goes away in my experience. Woke up this morning, 80% better after getting worse for a few weeks.

Total rest for a few days seems to be the best Way to fix it ime. Good luck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast