Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Elbow Pain?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    A couple years ago I went through a bout w tennis elbow, it hurt bad and it lingered for a long time (months on end). I tried massages, ice/heat and band exercises. Plus I'd ice my elbow in a ice bath for 15min after a workout/before the hot shower. I've also had to reduce frequency of certain types of lifts/grips. My muscles can lift it, but my elbows hate how I grip things.

Post-injury maintenance, my elbow will get irritated after a day/weekend of activity that strains the elbow - motorcycle riding (handlebar position), manual labor/home projects/medium to heavy yard work, even lifting if I let myself run away with what feels good. In those cases I'll ice it, take an anti-inflammatory and do a few ROM movements to get it settled down again.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    well I have damaged my ulner nerve at it's attatchent points in both elbows. This nerve is commonly called your "funny Bone."
    6 mos recover time and of course they can't do them both at the same time, so...

Feedback Score
    Here’s the best article I’ve ever found on tendonitis, it’s pretty complicated but the solutions are pretty simple really. Keep exercising, rest does not help, just manage load and don’t lift past the point of pain. Eccentrics are also very beneficial.

http://stevenlow.org/overcoming-tendonitis/

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Perfect timing seeing this thread. I have been on lifting/workout hiatus for about a month due to what I suspect is tricep tendinitis—pretty sure mine came from too much weight with tricep extensions (overhead). I still feel a twinge of pain. Will read those articles posted earlier some time today.
    Last edited by hotrodder636; 07-18-20 at 05:04.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    Perfect timing seeing this thread. I have been on lifting/workout hiatus for about a month due to what I suspect is tricep tendinitis—pretty sure mine came from too much weight with tricep extensions (overhead). I still feel a twinge of pain. Will read those articles posted earlier some time today.
    I’m actually dealing with some triceps tendonitis right now too. Don’t do the overhead extensions or skull crushers, those are rough on your elbows. Kickbacks are a good substitute (for now) and one arm pressdowns (if you have access to a cable machine) and focus on the negative. I pull the rope down with one arm and let the negative work with the other. Another exercise that’s suppose to be easy on your elbows is overhead rope extensions using a low pulley as that puts less stress on your elbow and more into the belly of the tricep, not the tendon.

If you don’t have cable machines you can do overhead tricep extension, just try to do them seated where you can lock your feet into a bench or something and have your body and more of an incline. That takes the stress off the tendon but you need something to keep your feet pinned down or you’ll probably fall over. Another pair of dumbbells or a squat rack positioned well should work.

The worst thing you can do is rest, it’s better to workout and avoid any movements that cause pain. With my tendonitis, once I get warmed up the pain goes away or is very reduced. That’s a good sign that with proper training and not pushing past the point of pain that it will heal eventually. Tendonitis is a pain though, it won’t go away overnight.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Unfortunately skull crushers have always been my favorite tricep exercise.

As to the reset...I have not seen a physician yet, everything I have read though says to give it rest time and don’t work until “healed”.

Quote Originally Posted by Life's a Hillary View Post
    I’m actually dealing with some triceps tendonitis right now too. Don’t do the overhead extensions or skull crushers, those are rough on your elbows. Kickbacks are a good substitute (for now) and one arm pressdowns (if you have access to a cable machine) and focus on the negative. I pull the rope down with one arm and let the negative work with the other. Another exercise that’s suppose to be easy on your elbows is overhead rope extensions using a low pulley as that puts less stress on your elbow and more into the belly of the tricep, not the tendon.

If you don’t have cable machines you can do overhead tricep extension, just try to do them seated where you can lock your feet into a bench or something and have your body and more of an incline. That takes the stress off the tendon but you need something to keep your feet pinned down or you’ll probably fall over. Another pair of dumbbells or a squat rack positioned well should work.

The worst thing you can do is rest, it’s better to workout and avoid any movements that cause pain. With my tendonitis, once I get warmed up the pain goes away or is very reduced. That’s a good sign that with proper training and not pushing past the point of pain that it will heal eventually. Tendonitis is a pain though, it won’t go away overnight.
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    Unfortunately skull crushers have always been my favorite tricep exercise.

As to the reset...I have not seen a physician yet, everything I have read though says to give it rest time and don’t work until “healed”.
    Skull crushers were my favorite too, however they are the direct reason I got tendonitis in my triceps (twice) so they are dead to me now. Check the link I posted above, all data we have points to rest being pretty useless for healing tendon issues, especially if you train. I honestly wouldn’t even go to a doctor for it, the times I’ve seen doctors for tendonitis most did not seem up to date on the latest research. Try some eccentrics and load management and I bet you’ll be back to new in a couple months while continuing to train. I’m hitting PRs right now, I just warm up well and avoid anything that activity causes pain.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Elbow Pain?

Band flossing and high rep band pull downs (100 plus reps) and other similar movements had always me with elbow pain. Basically stimulating high blood flow. Just rep till near failure.

Also JM presses were my favorite for strengthening the surrounding muscles when I was powerlifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 07-18-20 at 13:15.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Band flossing and high rep band pull downs (100 plus reps) and other similar movements had always me with elbow pain. Basically stimulating high blood flow. Just rep till near failure.

Also JM presses were my favorite for strengthening the surrounding muscles when I was powerlifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ****. Jpmuscle is banned now?

Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Surely not because of this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    ****. Jpmuscle is banned now?

CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123