Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lasik

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Lasik

I finally broke down and had Lasik done, mainly to correct my astigmatism. Wow, what a difference!!! Im 4 weeks out of surgery and am currently sitting at 20/10 vision. Pretty awesome. My astigmatism is completely gone as well. The surgery itself sucked, i chose not to take the provided Valium (take the pill!!!!). It was pretty unpleasant but only lasts a couple minutes per eye. Totally worth it.
    Be of good cheer, you men of Valor.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been debating this since I have astigmatism and I'm feeling that I need stronger glasses however, I'm scared there could be some issues or complications. Only have 2 eyes and can't replace those!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I did A LOT of research before doing. The odds of complications (provided you go somewhere reputable) are extremely low. The newer technology has a retinal scanner that actually slaves itself to your eye (similar to an apache gunship). I know several surgeons who have had it done
    Be of good cheer, you men of Valor.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    I wear toric contacts and like Arik I have concerns of problems with lasik so I never could get the courage to get it done. I have friends who had it done who have to still wear glasses. Now at age 74 I am close to needing cataract surgery.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's great news on your Lasik. I need to look into it to see if it will correct my farsightedness.

jpgm

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Being that after age 40, you're very very likely to need glasses for up close, I'm hesitant on going through with Lasik/RK because I'll just end up needing glasses anyway.

Has anyone in their late 30's or early 40's here had it done?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    Being that after age 40, you're very very likely to need glasses for up close, I'm hesitant on going through with Lasik/RK because I'll just end up needing glasses anyway.

Has anyone in their late 30's or early 40's here had it done?
    The difference being, when you do need reading glasses for up close, you can pay $10-$30 for some simple readers from Amazon or a bazillion other online sources, as opposed to $350-$600 for the bifocals or progressive lenses that you would have to correct for both your distance vision and your reading/up close vision. Add another $350-$600 for the spare pair, then be prepared to pay it all again when your prescription changes in 2-3 years.

Plain old non-prescription readers will work fine because the LASIK will have corrected your astigmatism and that’s permanent. You would only need diopter correction. As you age, you might have to buy readers of increasing strength.
    Last edited by Hmac; 07-14-18 at 23:02.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P2Vaircrewman View Post
    I wear toric contacts and like Arik I have concerns of problems with lasik so I never could get the courage to get it done. I have friends who had it done who have to still wear glasses. Now at age 74 I am close to needing cataract surgery.
    Statistically, your risk of vision loss is greater from complications from your contacts than from having LASIK.

Feedback Score
    Vision loss due to complications or even age is far less greater than the vision loss you had before you even got the surgery.

I'm at 7 years now. I still have 20/15 vision compared to the 20/100 vision I used to have. If it degrades to 20/40 vision 20 years from now, I'm still ahead of the game.

I got mine before deploying. Best decision I've ever made. I know longer have to worry about glasses breaking and purely from a SHTF standpoint, it was a good decision whether long term or short term.

Feedback Score
    I had LASIK done around 2001. Slight discomfort that night, otherwise it’s easy. They can go back and tune your vision if the need arises. Mine ended up accidentally being “mono-vision” and the doctor offered to fix it but I elected to have better distance vision in my right eye and read with my left.
    I’m still 20/15 right eye and only use readers for the computer/ipad and extended reading sessions to limit eye strain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast