Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to buy a suppressor from an individual in TX

Feedback Score
    It is a direct transfer from one owner to the new owner once Form 4 is approved. The current owner fills out the transferor info on Form 4, you fill out the Tranfsferee info and include $200. Mail to ATF. No need for a dealer but original owner has to hold on to the can until the Form 4 is approved. Original owner receives approved Form 4 and contacts you to give you the can and approved Form 4. The original owner can’t cheat you because they would be in violation because the approved Form 4 no longer entitles them to ownership. No 4473 needed because the background check is complete.

How do I know? Because I sold one of mine to a friend and everything was approved. No FFL, no SOT/ClassIII. Just do the transfer above board and legally. The biggest hassle is being patient.
    Last edited by st381183; 07-14-18 at 10:08.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by st381183 View Post
    It is a direct transfer from one owner to the new owner once Form 4 is approved. The current owner fills out the transferor info on Form 4, you fill out the Tranfsferee info and include $200. Mail to ATF. No need for a dealer but original owner has to hold on to the can until the Form 4 is approved. Original owner receives approved Form 4 and contacts you to give you the can and approved Form 4. The original owner can’t cheat you because they would be in violation because the approved Form 4 no longer entitles them to ownership. No 4473 needed because the background check is complete.

How do I know? Because I sold one of mine to a friend and everything was approved. No FFL, no SOT/ClassIII. Just do the transfer above board and legally. The biggest hassle is being patient.
    And no crossing state lines, correct?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by st381183 View Post

You completely missed the TX->AZ part of the equation. You'd be correct if it was an in-state transfer.

(And we're assuming he has his location of AZ current)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Class III/SOT dealers simply transfer via form 3. It's Tax-free and takes 7-10 days for approval.
    There is no requirement for an SOT firearm dealer to pay tax or wait for ATF approval. They go through that on the licensing end. The only reason an SOT would file a form 4 is to transfer an NFA item to his private collection.

Not all FFL's pay the special occupational tax required for them to operate as a class 3 firearms dealer you need to find an FFL/SOT in your area that can handle the transfer for you.
    For example I purchased a suppressor in Texas the form 3 cleared in 30 days and it was immediately shipped to my SOT (Ohio).
    ...and none of that relates to this situation. There is no F3 involved when buying from an individual.

It's one F4 if buying in-state. It's two F4s if buying from out of state. And any FFL can be used...not just a SOT IIRC.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    You completely missed the TX->AZ part of the equation. You'd be correct if it was an in-state transfer.

(And we're assuming he has his location of AZ current)
    Your right I missed the interstate aspect of the desired transfer. In state is sooo easy though, too bad.

It would have to be a helluva deal to make up the 2 x $200 transfer tax stamps. Either a collector piece or way, way under current retail value. You would be better off having the person spend one transfer fee to transfer to a trust where you are named as a trustee and then give you possession once the transfer to the trust is complete. Like a one shot trust. Down side is it link you and the seller together for the life of the can.

Otherwise wait for a sale and get a new can, maybe even an approved can.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Yes, bought a can from Iraqgunz in state, it was easy peazee. Out of state is a PITA as I am confirming.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Yes, bought a can from Iraqgunz in state, it was easy peazee. Out of state is a PITA as I am confirming.

PB
    I wouldn't say it's a PITA. It's the normal F4 process, twice. And the first one (to a dealer) is probably faster than normal.

You just have to make sure:
    1. The deal is worth it, including the $400 in stamps
    2. The wait is worth it, even if the first transfer is somewhat faster
    3. The purchase/transfer process is in writing and agreed to, since you won't be part of the initial transfer. For example, payment up front? Half now and half when the first transfer is complete? Seller pays for the first stamp? Etc.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    ...and none of that relates to this situation. There is no F3 involved when buying from an individual.

It's one F4 if buying in-state. It's two F4s if buying from out of state. And any FFL can be used...not just a SOT IIRC.
    Sounds like a complete pain in the dick, and why on God's green earth wouldn't you buy from a dealer, instead of an individual? There's a reason it's called "till death do us part" when you buy into the NFA thing. That just seems like an incredibly hard way to buy a suppressor.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post

PB
    It only appears to be a PITA, because you have been given so much incorrect info.

1) Pay the guy
    2) He F4s it to your local dealer.
    3) Your local dealer F4s it to you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    It only appears to be a PITA, because you have been given so much incorrect info.

1) Pay the guy
    2) He F4s it to your local dealer.
    3) Your local dealer F4s it to you.
    Each Form 4 costs $200, so the used can he wants needs to be much less expensive than buying it new in order to make it worth the trouble and maintain the “bargain” of buying a used can. So $400 plus the cost of the can needs to beat the cost of the can new plus a single $200 transfer fee. A new can will be a significantly shorter wait as only one Form 4 need be approved. That’s why there is so much debate regarding such a simple question.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast