Thread: Optic advice

Feedback Score

Optic advice

So I really don’t like going over the Situation but I need advice. So due to accident my right arm is paralyzed so I’m currently shooting one hand weak hand. Not ideal at all. Nonetheless just for mental health sake I’m desperately trying not to let my injury prevent me from shooting. Been through too many set ups on different guns and I’ve finally decided that even though Manual of arms for an AR15 isn’t ideal with my situation I’d rather use the platform I’ve been trained on. So now comes the question what optic. I’ve been running Aimpoint comps m5s or t-2s which I love but I’m noticing it’s abit slower giving the circumstances but better with weight. Tried RMRs and no thanks, too many trade offs there’s. Was thinking about trying Eo techs out mainly because of the giant window and ease of reticle but I did want opinions on an LPVO SET UP. I feel like that is somewhat pushing g it on the weight aspect but that does allow me to shoot out farther distances on the 11.5 or 12.5 upper I settle on which I planning on buying a hog saddle and tripod for that purpose. Anyways any opinions or ideas help.

Feedback Score
    Maby an accupoint or one of Leupold offerings to keep weight down. Have you considered a fixed prism sight if you are wanting magnification? Best of luck!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Not really, been leaning towards an atacr 1-8. I know it’s on the heavier side but it gives good clarity and compared to some of the 1-6 offerings it’s not too much heavier. I need whatever I would get in that category to have generous eye relief because of my situation. Supported shooting would be an issue but if I do standing( which I would practice my ass off to be able to do) I’d probably need an optic with amazing clarity and eye relief IE Atacr 1-8 or like a razor hd

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have astigmatism and need glasses anyways so I prefer LPVO to dots for that reason.....

but if I had to shoot off hand and use the wrong eye, I would probably find the reticle and paralax tuning a LPVO offers might help. The only way to know is to try out the gear first, helps if you make friends at the range.

Feedback Score
    I guess my main worry is weight. It can easily start to tip over into the heavy category stacking that much on

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    All LPVOs, prism sights, magnified optics will have eye relief constraints. Your eye has to be within the 3.5-4” position just behind the scope. Some prism sights are even less and some ACOGs have 1.5” of eye relief. Worse than eye relief is the exit pupil or “eyebox” constraints forcing you to have a decent cheekweld and consistent eye position. That would be extremely frustrating to me for regular one-handed use. If the rifle will always be supported and you can get consistent cheekweld and eye position behind the scope, the most forgiving LPVOs are Kahles K16i and Vortex Razor Gen II-E 1-6x. Both are second focal plane 1-6x scopes. You might also look at Nightforce ATACR 1-8x for a first focal plane scope.

If I had to regularly shoot an AR one-handed off-hand, I think I’d go with a lower-third height (EXPS rather than XPS) Eotech for general use and maybe add a visible laser for under 25 yards. Infinite eye relief and a large window is very forgiving of head position and the weight will be less than LPVO with mount.
    Last edited by crosseyedshooter; 03-19-19 at 12:13.

Feedback Score
    Yea thats what i was thinking as well. If i were to go LPVO I would probably go ahead and run a hog saddle and tripod set up as id be trying to stretch it out as much as possible