Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Optics planet.....be cautious.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    In the short term and assuming everything goes wel, I agree with you 100%.

But dealing with these companies your luck is going to run out eventually. The time spent disputing a CC charge or waiting on hold forever to get in touch with CS or getting an RMA and going to UPS to drop the return off or paying assistants to do all of that for you are quite literally more expensive than just buying the right stuff from the right people the first time.

Add in the “this is bullshit” factor too, and I don’t get why anyone would buy from any of these types of companies. Especially those who have to save their money and spend wisely.

One day someone who isn’t me ran from the cops on his crotch rocket. He got away of course due to liberal policies prohibiting pursuit of bikers by LE. An older wiser biker told him “You have to get away every time, but they only have to catch you once.”

One bad purchase or burn from these guys will offset all the money saved by avoiding the more reputable dealers.

Just isn’t worth it.
    It’s been a mixed bag for me with OP. Normally I will only buy from them if it’s an exceptional deal and I don’t need the part anytime soon. You’re right any worthwhile part or optic that’s prices really well is going to be OOS. And I’ve waited so long on them that when I got the part I was like what WTH is this? When did I order this thing? Then I look on the order and see oh yeah, I bought it 2 months ago. That’s why I try to stick to my tried and true companies that I’ve been doing business with for years and have proven themselves reliable and who sell quality parts. I don’t think the adage will ever change. “You still get what you pay for.” That saying carries over to service as well.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Optics planet.....be cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Uhhh you can’t? Lol

The “I buy from them because it’s a good deal and worst case I cancel the order or dispute my CC” crowd is always out in full force.

Gun owners are the biggest group of Misers I’ve ever come across in my life.
    Of course you are right. I live in hope their practices catch up with them. Which it won’t because your post.

Edit: anyone remember that Smartgunner dude?
    Last edited by Vegas; 02-27-19 at 11:59.

Feedback Score

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    It’s been a mixed bag for me with OP. Normally I will only buy from them if it’s an exceptional deal and I don’t need the part anytime soon. You’re right any worthwhile part or optic that’s prices really well is going to be OOS. And I’ve waited so long on them that when I got the part I was like what WTH is this? When did I order this thing? Then I look on the order and see oh yeah, I bought it 2 months ago. That’s why I try to stick to my tried and true companies that I’ve been doing business with for years and have proven themselves reliable and who sell quality parts. I don’t think the adage will ever change. “You still get what you pay for.” That saying carries over to service as well.
    I will buy nothing from OpticsPlanet regardless of the price. After watching an order go through Indiana to the East Coast and then come back (after I complained) was enough for me. Of course, OP said the tracking info was incorrect but it took almost two weeks to go from OP to my home 30 miles north of Indy (a distance of approx. 202 miles). Never again.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wetidlerjr View Post
    I will buy nothing from OpticsPlanet regardless of the price. After watching an order go through Indiana to the East Coast and then come back (after I complained) was enough for me. Of course, OP said the tracking info was incorrect but it took almost two weeks to go from OP to my home 30 miles north of Indy (a distance of approx. 202 miles). Never again.
    I think that is primarily UPS/FEDEX Smartpost which means either of them haul around in a spiral before dropping it off at your local post office for them to deliver. I assume (or hope?) some sort of subsidy is involved.

Not directed at you, but since about 15 years ago learning that USPS frequently carries UPS packages at least part of the way (listed as Rural Delivery Surcharge on my shipping receipt at the time) I have found criticism of USPS while simultaneously gushing about the virtues of UPS &/or FEDEX entertaining to say the least.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 03-01-19 at 08:25.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    I think that is primarily UPS/FEDEX Smartpost which means either of them haul around in a spiral before dropping it off at your local post office for them to deliver. I assume (or hope?) some sort of subsidy is involved.
    That’s exactly the problem.

In my experience, the UPS version might add a day when transferring to USPS but the FedEx Smartpost is absolutely pathetic IMO. More times than not, I’ve seen my stuff crisscross the state & even country before my package gets delivered. This is a shipping issue, not an Optics Planet issue.
    Unfortunately, OP uses FedEx Smartpost a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    Not directed at you, but since about 15 years ago learning that USPS frequently carries UPS packages at least part of the way (listed as Rural Delivery Surcharge on my shipping receipt at the time) I have found criticism of USPS while simultaneously gushing about the virtues of UPS &/or FEDEX entertaining to say the least.
    Actually, it wasn't. It was a low rate deal that was $0 for me (so-called "free shipping") that just went off the rails. I would have been much more understanding if they would have corrected it when I told them but they chose to wait almost a week before correcting it. It was, most likely, a UPS screw up but OP compounded the problem by ignoring me when I told them it was lost. They just didn't care.
    Last edited by wetidlerjr; 03-01-19 at 09:13.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Actually, it wasn't. It was a low rate deal that was $0 for me (so-called "free shipping") that just went off the rails. I would have been much more understanding if they would have corrected it when I told them but they chose to wait almost a week before correcting it. It was, most likely, a UPS screw up but OP compounded the problem by ignoring me when I told them it was lost. They just didn't care.
    I think that is the Smartpost...at least that was what mine has been for "free shipping over $50" deals Optic Planet does. But, yeah that was their choice to go that (very erratic) route so should be their baby to make it right.

Feedback Score
    I think that is the Smartpost...at least that was what mine has been for "free shipping over $50" deals Optic Planet does. But, yeah that was their choice to go that (very erratic) route so should be their baby to make it right.
    It wasn't called "Smartpost" in my dealings with OP (four or five years ago) as I don't recall any USPS involvement and it wasn't "free shipping over $50" but was a choice on a drop-down menu. I should have chose to pay whatever was the next choice down. Even Smartpost doesn't send an Indiana package to the East Coast and take 13 days. At the time, I even thought I might have been sent the wrong tracking number but I think that would have been unlikely. The main thing was that OP didn't care with no apology (not one word). Their attitude about the problem was "so what".

Bill Tidler Jr.

~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It wasn't called "Smartpost" in my dealings with OP (four or five years ago) as I don't recall any USPS involvement and it wasn't "free shipping over $50" but was a choice on a drop-down menu. I should have chose to pay whatever was the next choice down. Even Smartpost doesn't send an Indiana package to the East Coast and take 13 days. At the time, I even thought I might have been sent the wrong tracking number but I think that would have been unlikely. The main thing was that OP didn't care with no apology (not one word). Their attitude about the problem was "so what".
    Yeah I think Smartpost, at least by name is fairly recent, but similar in outcome to what you describe. It will hit several UPS/FEDEX facilities in the state it originates from then (at least in my case) starts hitting 1 or 2 UPS/FEDEX facilities in adjoining states in a clockwise direction before entering Kentucky via 2 or the stops in Tennessee. A facility or 2 (or 3?) in state before getting dropped off at my post office.

First go around I thought for sure it was a screw up, but several orders later, that is just how they roll. Still amazed the boxes don't look like chimps have had at them by the time they get moved around that much.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 03-01-19 at 14:51.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I guess I've been lucky so far with my 5 orders from them over the last 4 years. The most recent order was submitted 5 days ago, and the package arrived today.
    According to my order history, one order (for CR123s and a carrier) took over 2 weeks to ship, but it didn't matter at all. I personally don't order anything from the Internet expecting it to arrive quickly. If it does, that's cool, but I'm not going to complain if if it takes a few days to process/ship/etc my order.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast