Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is a “duty” pistol larger than other pistols?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Why is a “duty” pistol larger than other pistols?

If you look at the specifications, what does the extra .5 inch of barrel or 2 rounds do to justify the larger frame and bulk? Or is it just traditional stemming from .357 revolver days? What do you think?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Larger handguns are typically easier to shoot. The bigger grip, weight, sight radius, extra rounds all play a part. I don’t know many people that can shoot a compact gun better than a full-size one. The reason there are different sizes is because people use them for different purposes.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Duty type pistol's do not need to be concealed so can be larger.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm just guessing here but chances of a LEO to get into a gun fight is greater than for your avg person. If chances are greater then having more ammo is better. More ammo means bigger gun.

But again.... just a guess. Also they don't have to worry about concealing.

I'm sure there's a million reasons why. I have seen some departments issue G26/27 but I don't know if that's primary or backup

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Duty type pistol's do not need to be concealed so can be larger.
    This.

There is no need to conceal it and it’s carried generally in a sturdy and sizeable holster anyway.

The lines nowadays are blurred as guys AIWB a G34 and some guys open carry a G26. Duty pistols in the current vernacular should really reference quality. Glock. Duty Grade. Taurus. Probably not.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Full size handguns are usually easier to shoot because of the longer sight radius and they tend not to be as snappy as well.

I used to have a Ruger LC9 that was pretty unpleasant to shoot due to it's compact size.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I'm just guessing here but chances of a LEO to get into a gun fight is greater than for your avg person. If chances are greater then having more ammo is better. More ammo means bigger gun.

But again.... just a guess. Also they don't have to worry about concealing.

I'm sure there's a million reasons why. I have seen some departments issue G26/27 but I don't know if that's primary or backup

Perhaps, but 6 shot .38s wth 4” barrels were in a lot of holsters for decades.

Feedback Score
    As other said, duty = mil/leo. They want a full/normal sized handgun.
    Others are compact or competition (larger).

I think your title is backwards. Duty guns arent larger than other guns, duty guns ARE the standard/baseline size. Most pistols are designed as “duty/normal size” at first, (m1911, G17, smith M&P, highpower, sig 226, beretta m92)
    Then they come out with compact (commander, g19, MP compact, sig 229)
    And competition sizes (6” 1911 barrels, g34, mP pro 5”).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Business_Casual View Post
    Perhaps, but 6 shot .38s wth 4” barrels were in a lot of holsters for decades.
    True but same went for bad guys. It's before my time but seems like revolvers were the most common handgun. Small semi autos had about the same capacity. I can only think of 3 common early types of semi autos. HiPower, 1911, S&W 39 and 59. None of them were cheap, at least not as cheap as a model 10 revolver or it's copies.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    True but same went for bad guys. It's before my time but seems like revolvers were the most common handgun. Small semi autos had about the same capacity. I can only think of 3 common early types of semi autos. HiPower, 1911, S&W 39 and 59. None of them were cheap, at least not as cheap as a model 10 revolver or it's copies.

Also:
    Walther P-38
    Colt 1903
    FN 1905
    FN 1910
    Savage 1907

You're right that from their inception until the last decade or two of the 20th Century, revolvers ruled the world
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast