Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you consider night sights essential on a carry gun?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Do you consider night sights essential on a carry gun?

Do you consider night sights a necessity on a carry gun?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes, all of my carry guns have Trijicon HD sights installed on them.

Feedback Score
    No they’re not a necessity, because you should be carrying a handheld light, which will either illuminate or backlight your sight picture and target.

What is more important is a set of sights that zero properly on your gun with your chosen carry / duty ammo, and that they work for your eyes and level of acceptable accuracy / purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuelBLong View Post
    No they’re not a necessity, because you should be carrying a handheld light, which will either illuminate or backlight your sight picture and target.

What is more important is a set of sights that zero properly on your gun with your chosen carry / duty ammo, and that they work for your eyes and level of acceptable accuracy / purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't imagine if I ever have to draw my pistol in the dark I'll have time to first draw my handheld light that I may see.
    Nobody ever got shot climbing over the wall into East Berlin.

Delivering the most precision possible, at the greatest distance possible, with the highest rate of fire possible.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Mine all have NS so I cant say otherwise. But with a flashlight , if you have it will work. But why chance it. They are cheap and everywhere.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I think when they came out we all had to have them. Most of my defensive handguns have them but I think now we have lights and I also think that 25 years ago we were training to be able to hit the target and the main focus now is identifying the target. If there's enough light to ID the target there's enough to hit the same. Now somebody will come along and act as if I said we didn't used to have to ID the targets.........I just think that most training now emphasizes it more than it used to whether it be law enforcement or CCW. So, the answer is that they're probably not always needed but I still prefer them.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    All of my carry handguns have them. And they all will always have them.

Feedback Score
    Not on a primary (say, G19 or larger) unless for some reason the frame does not have a rail. I always carry an X300U, so Dawson adjustable sights with a fiber optic front are fine. On my PPS M2, I'd run night sights. Likewise on a G26 or similar.

Feedback Score
    No. I used to, and I've had some classes that involved shooting in dark. But they aren't a necessity for me.

If it's dark but I can see the threat, I can see my front sight that is brightly colored. If it's too dark to see/identify the threat, I can't see my sights, either. If I'm already being attacked at contact distance in the dark, I don't need to see their face or my sights. When illuminated by a flash light, I can see the threat and I can see my sights in silhouette. Problems solved.

I like a front site about .125-.115 wide and bright. White, but brass/gold can work, so can bright green, yellow-green, or something fiber-optic.

Tritium sights seem to lose by day (they don't "pop" in sunlight), and no/little gain by night, for me.

Police Officers absolutely need a light mounted on their pistols. And another on their belt/pocket.

If I know I'm going to be out in a city after dark (festival or whatever) I'll be sure to bring a bright light. If I end up in a dark area I carry the light in my support hand. If I go condition Orange I can grip my pocket gun and still look very casual. (And have a bigger gun on my belt)
    Last edited by Ron3; 07-16-18 at 15:01.

Feedback Score
    I’ve got nightsights on all my carry guns...mostly the ones I carry at night. You have to be prepare for every situation possible.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast