Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Do you consider night sights essential on a carry gun?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerberos View Post
    Of other note... I think that this is a bit subjective as well.

Who's got the same level of clarity or night vision as anyone else?

Eyes' abilities are almost unique as the individual who owns them.
    That is a good point.

The receptors that are most useful at night (the rods) are most densely located outside the point of central vision (macula lutea) at the back of the eye. As a result at night our vision is less acute because the receptors that best help us see at night are off the point of central focus.

The rods are extremely sensitive to light (as opposed to the cones) and as a result of this we best pick up movement (changes in light, right?) out of our peripheral vision. This is also why it is so important to keep our eyes moving and use off center viewing techniques at night.

(This info came from our night shoot handout - I'm not an optometrist)

IIRC, if there is just enough light to see objects, our night acuity is in the area of 20/400. Most drivers handbooks will tell you visual acuity is reduced 25% at night.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    I purchased an M&P 9 several years ago that has them, and I think they are an asset, but not a necessity.

Feedback Score
    One thing I will say is that if one runs an RDS on his carry pistol, one should definitely NOT have night sights. That leads to too many dots you see in the dark, especially under NODs.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hile View Post
    One thing I will say is that if one runs an RDS on his carry pistol, one should definitely NOT have night sights. That leads to too many dots you see in the dark, especially under NODs.
    I don't know about how they look under NODs, but I have no issue with (and in fact prefer) to use night sights in conjunction with an RDS, as I don't have any reference on the pistol's orientation otherwise.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hile View Post
    I have Trijicon Suppressor Night Sights with my RMR and have no issues....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerberos View Post
    Essential?

No.

Do I have them on all my carry guns (and most of my other guns)?

Yes.

I'm surprised I haven't seen any other country folk post with anecdotes of dispatching possums and other annoying/destructive critters with their carry pistols.

I have dispatched many critters under low/no light conditions and found that the night sights were essential for getting an accurate hit for that first shot.

Now it may not be what I think it is, but I consider it some extremely valuable "training" and almost look forward to the next time I hear a possum trying to get into the trash.

Of other note... I think that this is a bit subjective as well.

Who's got the same level of clarity or night vision as anyone else?

Eyes' abilities are almost unique as the individual who owns them.
    I far prefer to use a weapon light to make precision shots on critters in the dark.

Feedback Score
    I have Trijicon standard/regular night sights (green) on all my carry pistols, G19, G22, G26 and G34. I only have a weapon light on my G22. It's my secondary home HD gun. My Colt M4 (6920) is my primary, it has a weapon light as well.

I have to get night sights for my 1911 one of these days.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    I do not consider night sights essential. Nice to have maybe, but not essential. I think a WML is a better choice for home defense, but not necessary on EDC.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreyman View Post
    Do you consider night sights a necessity on a carry gun?
    Absolutely.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GHMann View Post
    I do not consider night sights essential. Nice to have maybe, but not essential. I think a WML is a better choice for home defense, but not necessary on EDC.
    Why not both???

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast