Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you consider night sights essential on a carry gun?

Feedback Score
    All of my carry handguns have them. And they all will always have them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leuthas View Post
    I don't imagine if I ever have to draw my pistol in the dark I'll have time to first draw my handheld light that I may see.
    how do you know you need to draw & present or make the decision to shoot that shadowy shape in the dark?

How are you sure that you need to apply deadly force... What if what you identified them as a potential threat, but they fall in that “don’t shoot yet” category?

To not PID your threat is a really dumb idea for a multitude of reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuelBLong View Post
    No they’re not a necessity, because you should be carrying a handheld light, which will either illuminate or backlight your sight picture and target.

What is more important is a set of sights that zero properly on your gun with your chosen carry / duty ammo, and that they work for your eyes and level of acceptable accuracy / purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuelBLong View Post
    how do you know you need to draw & present or make the decision to shoot that shadowy shape in the dark?

How are you sure that you need to apply deadly force... What if what you identified them as a potential threat, but they fall in that “don’t shoot yet” category?

To not PID your threat is a really dumb idea for a multitude of reasons.
    Your first post gave me the impression we were talking about a situation where I already knew deadly force was necessary and immediate, where the night sights would help with making those shots and the light wouldn't - because the threat went from 0 to 10 before a handheld light could be considered. If we're talking about identifying shadowy, unknown figures, then we aren't talking about night sights because night sights can't illuminate anything. The decision to draw is an entirely different subject than the usefulness of night sights after you've already drawn, and I think it wouldn't be fair to assume that shadowy figure scenario would be the reality of that situation often enough to completely negate the necessity of night sights.

I think it's also fair to make the presumption that we've already zero'd our pistols and chosen a reasonable selection of ammo with reliable magazines after which we consider night sights.
    Nobody ever got shot climbing over the wall into East Berlin.

Delivering the most precision possible, at the greatest distance possible, with the highest rate of fire possible.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Not all my carry guns have them, same story to past carry guns (j frame, ruger lcp, beretta 92 compact). They are a wonderful limited use tool. That being said, if your carry gun will allow for it, no reason to not buy them. On the same note, the odds of shooting in total darkness are low, if there is enough light to identify a threat or a figure to shoot at (thinking paper threat), there tends to be enough light to make out a sight picture from what I have found with fairly few exceptions.

Feedback Score
    Not on a primary (say, G19 or larger) unless for some reason the frame does not have a rail. I always carry an X300U, so Dawson adjustable sights with a fiber optic front are fine. On my PPS M2, I'd run night sights. Likewise on a G26 or similar.

Feedback Score
    I use them. There is often lighting enough to easily ID threats, but dark enough to make seeing sights slow. Night sights fix that.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Yes I do.

Feedback Score
    Here’s an excellent analysis by JW Ramp regarding this topic. Food for thought.

http://www.jwramp.com/news/pistol-si...ing-conditions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    As my eyes have aged, I've moved away from them and gone to a solid black rear, and a fiber optic front sight. My carry guns have a X300 on them, plus I usually have a handheld also. It hasnt been a problem shooting low light.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by diving dave View Post
    As my eyes have aged, I've moved away from them and gone to a solid black rear, and a fiber optic front sight. My carry guns have a X300 on them, plus I usually have a handheld also. It hasnt been a problem shooting low light.
    Plus, the fiber optic actually illuminates when using a light or wml in low/no light. I found this helped when tracking the sights in recoil when it's low light.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast