Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you consider night sights essential on a carry gun?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I do have night sights on my carry weapons (Trijicon HD) and I also carry a light. The HDs are great for daytime and low light. In darkness, up close and personal, I'd probably use my light and point shoot. Longer distances, I'd try to evade.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    I’ve got nightsights on all my carry guns...mostly the ones I carry at night. You have to be prepare for every situation possible.

Feedback Score
    Night sights cool, lasers better.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo Sierra View Post
    Night sights cool, lasers better.
    Please don't take this wrong, but your first two posts have not been questions, or answers to questions which contain useful substance.

As I said, don't take this wrong, I just kind of wanted to warn you that generally folks don't look kindly on post what they feel are just to get your post count up.

You could have explained why you think night sights are cool, and why lasers are better, if you were off course in your reasoning someone would give you some insight from their knowledge base.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck!
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 07-16-18 at 17:33.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yes. 31 years in Law Enforcement with the vast majority being night shift. I have had numerous occasions where I could make out a potential threat or area that needed to be searched without added light but my sights would not have been visible without night sights. Light conditions are not always all encompassing, IE: the lighting where you are may be different then the area you are looking into/searching so the argument of "If I can't see my sights I'll have to be using my flashlight, so then I can see my sights anyway" doesn't really hold water.

In the end it all comes down to user preference. Like I tell my students, it's your gunfight, you're only going to get one chance to win. Make sure you do everything you can to be the winner.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My belief is that a duty pistol, or a pistol carried for self-defense should have some sort of high visibility sights, whether they be traditional night sights or fiber optics which gather available light is up to the individual.

I personally prefer a tritium front and plain rear. I particularly like the Ameriglo Defoor sights. Why just the front? Because I have seen too many people spending time trying to align three dots when they should have been shooting, or moving.

The major problem with night sights, which has been mentioned several times in this thread, is that they allow you to align and fire on a target you have not identified as a threat. We ought not be shooting at shapes and shadows.

Generally, if there is enough light to ID the target there will be enough light to see your sights, especially a fiber optic or tritium front.

If you have a WML or a hand carried light, when you hit the target with the light, the light reflecting off the target will bring your sights into sharp contrast with the target, which is really an optimal sight picture. In that situation, I find anything but black sights somewhat distracting. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees that is the situation I will find myself in, so compromises must be made. The DeFoor's fill that nich for me.

Night sights are just another form of insurance that we need to take advantage of if we are using pistols for HD, CCW, or duty.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 07-16-18 at 18:00.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Please don't take this wrong, but your first two posts have not been questions, or answers to questions which contain useful substance.

As I said, don't take this wrong, I just kind of wanted to warn you that generally folks don't look kindly on post what they feel are just to get your post count up.

You could have explained why you think night sights are cool, and why lasers are better, if you were off course in your reasoning someone would give you some insight from their knowledge base.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck!
    Very quick and accurate target acquisition without the need to line up front and rear sights. Lasermax offers an internal guide rod replacement laser. I can shoot very quickly and accurately without even bringing the pistol to eye level.
    As for my first post, he asked about a sub $300 blackout barrel and mentioned bcm, i found my response quite relevant.
    Last edited by Bravo Sierra; 07-16-18 at 18:33.

Feedback Score
    Worth noting: if you flash a wml and move, tritiums are picked up much faster while your eyes adjust than plain sights.
    I dots make lining up dots a non-issue. Get them close and start smashing the trigger.

Lastly, id say a laser is a good supplement, but not replacement for night sights- although my experience is very limited with them.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I would rather have them than not. I also prefer an X300 series WML.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    No, but I consider a carry gun essential at night!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast