Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you consider night sights essential on a carry gun?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hile View Post
    Raven Vanguard 3 would work. That's what I run when I have to run IWB. I, however, run OWB most of the time.
    That's lotsa running fella.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't consider it a must, but it is highly recommended.

I've not used night sights on some of my pistols, but a light is another good companion. For Target identification you'd need to see who you are pointing your firearm at; if you are in a dark area or if the lights/electricity are out, you may not be able to identify your target with just night sights.
    Ideally night sights and a light combined is best.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The language "carry gun" to me means a civilian carrying out and about for personal protection. In that case I'd say night sights are great for quick and close shooting in low light as a reaction to an attack, but not essential at all. If you're pulling a pistol as a response to a physical attack you're not going to be pulling a flashlight for target ID or any of that and it's really just point shooting I'd imagine.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker865 View Post
    Why not just use the Raptor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Because they list it as an appendix holster, and I didn’t bother to read the description about how it can be carried IWB on/behind the hip.

Although it doesn’t appear to have an adjustable cant, which I would want it to have a little of.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Since the discussion is about NIGHT shooting, ?who here has tested his ammo for flash at night. Might be surprised at how much or little a particular round makes. It can be enough to blind you temporarily.

Feedback Score
    We are not talking police type of shooting . At what distance do you expect to have to shoot some one to stop the attack?
    Last edited by SteveS; 08-06-18 at 23:50.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've never been in a gun fight at night, but have shot matches at night. For me the first shot on the night sights is all that I got, after that I could not see the night sites. There was no huge fire ball, just a smallish dull orange glowing ball. That was enough to blind me to the night sights. I use a flashlight with no night sights.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Isn't part of the theory behind the light is that it is intense enough to blind the attacker and give you the tactical advantage? I think most perps would be taken aback by a sudden face full of 500 lumens. They might just break and run not knowing if the next thing they will experience is the shot.
    I have heard of simunitions/paint ball where the person who got lit up getting blinded, but popping a round off toward the last thing they saw and getting a hit.

Breaking and running from a bright light would likely be dependent on past experiences in much the same way that not every intruder knows what a pump shotgun chambering a round sounds like And others that do not being bothered by it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Over the years I've had a lot of guys ask for tritium in the front only. I ask why. They say the rear dot distracts them. I then say we should absolutely take the rear sight completely off because if a little glowing dot in reduced light is a distraction, it must be bloody awful in the daylight when you can see the whole rear sight.

I say it in jest-- pretty much-- because, well, they get to have it their way. And some are way more the real deal than I ever will be. I still don't see how it can be better but.... I try to make the case for having a rear sight as well as a front and if they still don't go for it, I figure they have their preferences and I drop it.
    It's an eyesight thing. I can kind of handle 2 rear lamps if they are dimmer than the front...and the times I have had them they got a sharpie swipe to dull them....but prefer plain black rear and never have liked 2 white rear dots. Interestingly, Sig 6 o'clock white dots and tritium bar/straight 8 don't bother me.

I think it is a more acute version of people who like a tritium front rifle/shotgun sight, but abhor the 2 dot rears due to overwhelming the front. I assume someone somewhere really does like a 3 dot long gun sight picture, but don't see that recommendation pop up often.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 08-07-18 at 09:31.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreyman View Post
    Do you consider night sights a necessity on a carry gun?
    Yes. They are.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast