G&R Tactical

Thread: M16A1 color and dates

Feedback Score

M16A1 color and dates

I was in the Army from 83-87. Infantry. I recall the M16A1's I encountered and was issued as having a black anodizing on the upper and lower as opposed to the earlier gray-ish color.

No doubt these weapons had been arsenal rebuilt and I wonder if the anodizing color specs had changed from the original 60's specs????????
    Last edited by ABNAK; 07-15-18 at 19:04.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    Renegade04 has answered it before but he says that colt wasn’t too particular about color variations and the Black tones came out in the early 80’s
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassIIIGunsmith View Post
    Renegade04 has answered it before but he says that colt wasn’t too particular about color variations and the Black tones came out in the early 80’s
    Okay, that confirms that I'm not slipping mentally! (yet)

I have an A1 clone and I have the aluminum parts done in Duracoat Flat Black. Anything steel I had done in Colt Gray, an excellent match for Parkerizing/phosphating. Among my modern "uber-AR's" it is my throwback version and I wanted to keep it as close to my era as possible. Of course the 1:7 twist barrel, Geissele G2S, and C7 upper (A1 with brass deflector, I'm a Southpaw) kinda blow it but oh well!

I have to laugh that even with a 20" barrel the old A1 swings pretty handily and actually feels lighter than some of my M4geries, and I don't even have the NV or flashlights of today on them. Maybe an ACOG or Aimpoint but that's it!
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry